DCS WWII: Non-Official Brochure

Charly_Owl

Excellent stuff! Warms my heart to see the community engagement on this project.

For me however the first three reasons to play is the High Fidelity of the simulation which is unmatched by any other combat sim. Ever.

Not sure how well that would sell as marketing material, but that's what counts the most for me.

Okay, time to answer some questions.

First:

Page 28 - The 109-K is named "Kurfürst", not "Kürfust"

Good catch. Fixed it.

What's the incentive for backers then? The brochure, p.8 says it's: a backer medal & beta access. It also says paid flyables which is the most confusing bull% I've read in a while. This being the worst part of it Crosscompatibility of modules? And I know perfectly well already what DCS is and what is its structure. The Kickstarter description (neither of the first two tabs) contain a word: "paid"! The brochure even, it also doesn't. Only in the tables with the overwhelming portion of information: ALL. I'm not having a go with the author of the brochure, just presenting what a mess it all is.

OK, let's continue. Let's say I dug up the info:

• Focke-Wulf FW.190D-9 (from DCS: World);
  • North-American P-51D Mustang (from DCS: World).

are the paid flyables

Now... from DCS: World. What do you mean? Do I have to buy them from ED? Are they ripped from ED by RRG and I get (to play) them with the DCS WWII or not?! I must be slow not knowing the difference between P-51D Mustang (from DCS: World) (the kickstarter list of flyables) and DCS World P-51D (the pledge matrix/table).

You get a digital copy pledging $40 A what?! So I get (to play) them or not? Or maybe I get them without the digital copy for lower pledging? Why don't we go with the lawyer-flow and use some other words for "you get"... V

:doh: 'Be careful what you wish for' I guess.

As in making the goals.

I'll back off with my 5 bucks for now until this mess is sorted out.

1) About the incentive for backers:

The incentive for backers is to have the game being made, first and foremost. But it's obviously not the answer you want to hear, and I understand that. If we look at the green chart, we see that for 1$ you get the Spitfire, Bf-109, and the P-47 when the game releases (i.e. when it is not in BETA state anymore). It's a steal, granted, but you get the game after everyone else. It's the principle of Free-to-Play. For 10 bucks, you get access to the BETA. Early access. Okay, makes sense. Now, for 20 bucks, you get the 3 free aircrafts everyone has access to, plus BETA access, plus access to one of the stretch goal aircrafts (which includes DCS WWII-only licenses for the P-51D and the FW-190). Basically, it means you have an aircraft that is usually worth 40 bucks by itself (it was the case for the P-51D) and BETA access for 20 bucks. Not bad.

My point is: if people don't participate, we don't get the bloody game at all! Freeloaders will just have to grow a pair and give us a hand if we're to make this game happen.

2) About the word "paid":

You are right about the word "PAID". I will work on it and attempt to make it crystal clear. A new revision should be available shortly. I really don't give a darn if whether or not you're trying to have a go at me. You can just make your point in a constructive and respectful manner (and I think the "bullsh*t" part was out of line and just plain rude), and I'll be happy to help make the information clear. I hate to break it to you, but heck, I'm not even being PAID to do this. I do this entirely with good faith, on my own time, and a sincere desire to help clarify the information so people can make an informed decision and have a clear picture of what RRG Studios is trying to achieve here.

Anyway: the "paid" part will be clarified.

3) About "from DCS World".

I re-read the kickstarter website many, many times. There is only one way all this can make sense in my head.

The P-51D and the FW190-D are originally DCS World modules (read: products). They were conceived before DCS WWII was even thought of. P-51D released last year (I think) and the FW-190D BETA will be released in DCS World before DCS WWII BETA releases (it could be months, or weeks, we can only guess at this point).

Because P-51D and FW-190D are DCS World products, you can buy them with DCS World licenses and play in DCS World. A DCS World license will allow you to fly the aircraft with the DCS World theatres only, and you won't have access to DCS WWII campaigns and Single Player Missions.

In DCS WWII, you can buy a DCS WWII-only license for either the P-51D or the FW-190D (or both). That's what Luthier means by "paid flyable". It will be the SAME aircraft as in DCS World, will have the same aerodynamics, same armament, same everything. The only thing is that the license will only allow you to play in the DCS WWII universe.

The "DCS WWII World" edition caters to people who say: "Wow, I've got this awesome P-51D aircraft in DCS WWII that I bought with the 40 $ standard package. But man, I have this friend playing DCS World with an A-10C Warthog and a DCS World license for the P-51D he bought last year, and I really want to fly with him with my beautiful Mustang. He has a DCS World license for the A-10C and the P-51D, and I have a DCS WWII license of the same aircraft (P-51D). How could I join him in the marvelous DCS World universe? Oh, what's this? A DCS WWII: World edition? They say that for 65 bucks, I can get all DCS WWII licenses for all DCS WWII aircrafts (basically the same 40 $ standard package I pledged for), and that instead of paying 40 additional bucks for the P-51D license in DCS World they offer me a DCS World license for ONLY 15 $? Great! I'm in!"

The 15 $ comes from the difference between the standard 40 $ package (DCS WWII licenses) and the 65$ package of DCS WWII: World Edition.

What Luthier meant with cross-compatibility is this: Modules for DCS WWII can be imported freely into DCS World from DCS WW II. There are only two exceptions: the DCS WWII licenses for the P-51D and the FW-190D. You need to have a DCS World license for both of these aircrafts. Why? Simply because the P-51D and FW-190D were not made by them: their studio didn't even exist at the time. They have the right to re-use these two products in their game and "make it their own" only because Eagle Dynamics is in partnership with them and they're frankly really nice to let them use their in-house engine.

4) About the digital copy:

For 40 bucks, you get beta access and ALL flyables. Website says:

"Flyable Aircraft:

Republic P-47D-28 Thunderbolt;

Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX;

Messerschmitt Bf-109K-4;

Focke-Wulf FW.190D-9 (from DCS: World);

North-American P-51D Mustang (from DCS: World)."

FW-190 and P-51D licenses are DCS WWII-only licenses. The aircrafts come from DCS World. But the flyables' licenses here for the P-51D and the FW-190 are only effective in DCS WWII.

In conclusion:

I wouldn't really bother with the DCS WWII: World edition because

a) I already have the Mustang in DCS World

b) I don't want to see jets and helicopters when flying my beautiful Mustang

c) In order to achieve step b), I'll just want to have all DCS WWII "flyables" (i.e. DCS WWII licenses) without having to buy the DCS World license for the FW-190. I just want to fly in WWII theatres when flying WWII aircrafts.

For people who want to fly the P-51D Mustang or the FW-190 in both DCS WWII and DCS World and that have bought neither of these modules as of now, DCS WWII "World" edition could be an interesting proposition.

I will have the brochure "fixed" shortly.

@Charly_Owl: Your "Understanding DCS World" slide with the venn diagrams is wrong. Currently it makes it look like DCS World modules will be restricted to DCS World, but actually every aircraft module will work between the two.

DCS WWII will be its own product however. It will not be a DCS World plugin, but an entirely new environment. Other products will be mutually compatible, so you'll be able to plug an A-10 into DCS WWII if you so choose, or a B-17 into DCW World.

I would also expect it to be possible (but maybe more difficult) to transfer maps and other assets between the two, but since there has been no official confirmation, I would not change that part.

Edited by VincentLaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Charly_Owl: Your "Understanding DCS World" slide with the venn diagrams is wrong. Currently it makes it look like DCS World modules will be restricted to DCS World, but actually every aircraft module will work between the two.

I would also expect it to be possible (but maybe more difficult) to transfer maps and other assets between the two, but since there has been no official confirmation, I would not change that part.

I read that one wrong, I guess. Does "Other products" include other 3rd party addons like the Huey and the Mig-21bis?

• Like 1

@Charly_Owl

Not only I wasn't accusing you of anything, I think you did a great job. I was referring to the confusion in general. I probably shouldn't even post in this topic. This alone may have indicated I was criticising the brochure.

Thanks for your work. :thumbup:

Pitty the community has to come up with this. :huh:

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Question:

What is the difference between 'basic aircraft licence' (Sptifire, bf-109 & P-47) and 'advanced aircraft licence' ?

Is that that the 'basics' are not flyable or is that they are flyable but Simple FM vs Advanced FM?

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

All are flyable with AFMs. The Spit, 109 and P47 will come free. The P51 and Dora in DCS WW2 come with the $20 (one out of the two) and $30 (both) pledges.

That's my only problem with both, the brochure and the official description - introduction of obsolete terms. AFAIK you only need: you get, flyable, paid, compatible with both DCS-es. And their respective antonyms obviously.

Question:

What is the difference between 'basic aircraft licence' (Sptifire, bf-109 & P-47) and 'advanced aircraft licence' ?

Is that that the 'basics' are not flyable or is that they are flyable but Simple FM vs Advanced FM?

Basic Aircraft Licenses are the 3 aircrafts that come for free in the game, no matter what your pledge is.

That's my only problem with both, the brochure and the official description - introduction of obsolete terms. AFAIK you only need: you get, flyable, paid, compatible with both DCS-es. And their respective antonyms obviously.

The introduction of "obsolete" terms was done because I received messages from many people telling me that they didn't understand what "paid flyables" (in Ilya's original terms) meant and if you had to "pay" for the Spit, 109 and P-47.

I tried to make it clearer by introducting the Basic Aircraft Licenses (the free ones that everybody will have) and the Advanted Aircraft Licenses (the ones you have to pay for at some point, depending on the stretch goal reached and your own pledge). "Paid Flyable" confused people who wondered "What? I mean... if it's already paid and flyable, does it mean I have it for free too if I don't even pledge?"

That's why.

4) About the digital copy:

For 40 bucks, you get beta access and ALL flyables. Website says:

"Flyable Aircraft:

Republic P-47D-28 Thunderbolt;

Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX;

Messerschmitt Bf-109K-4;

Focke-Wulf FW.190D-9 (from DCS: World);

North-American P-51D Mustang (from DCS: World)."

FW-190 and P-51D licenses are DCS WWII-only licenses. The aircrafts come from DCS World. But the flyables' licenses here for the P-51D and the FW-190 are only effective in DCS WWII.

I can't understand your conclusion here. Since it clearly states "from DCS: World" i can only assume this means the module from DCS World, and not (separately) from DCS WW2.

I think this even means there is no separate licence for the Dora and the Mustang just for DCS WW2. I mean, it says "from DCS World". It does not say "not from DCS World, but special module for DCS WW2".