AI - the great unknown

Bucic

What about the AI. As we all know it can ruin everything in SP gameplay. Will the project share the AI routines and incorporate them into the DCS core or will it employ it's own AI module? Who will be doing the AI? I'd lie if I'd tell that I wouldn't want Buddye of A2A simulations onboard for the task.

http://www.a2asimulations.com/team.html

Why? Here's why. Battle of Britain - more than dynamic campaign! (just scratches the surface)

I doubt that A2A will get into DCS anytime soon. I think they even said there are no plans on that. Thing is, they're playing in their own sandbox with accusim, having a lot of sales and a few aircraft already in development. Developing for DCS would mean stepping into unknown while a lot of artists and coders would need to learn something entirely new. From customer's view, it's easy to say "just get them on board", but as developer, when you already have everything running smoothly, it's more complicated than that and you want to stick to something that works rather than taking risks.

I won't get really concerned until I have to deal with aircraft with rear or side gunners; I've been thoroughly traumatized by the supersnipers unaffected by high G maneuvers, accurate counterfire or distances in excess of 700m in That Other WWII Sim that Oleg and Luthier made. Add in the obvious hierarchy of which aircraft get hit and how badly, and it goes well past the excusable.

Given the steepness of the learning curve just in flying aircraft of this complexity and faithfulness to the original will make it hard enough that real flaws in the AI fighter routines will not be obvious to the average dedicated simmer for several months. As long as they don't violate the laws of physics, aren't blatantly omniscient and don't go into an infinite slow roll routine once you come within 420 meters, it will be a good start for most of us.

cheers

horseback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

The AI in DCS are great opponents! No need to worry here.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Seems like some people have trouble with the AI, while others don't :helpsmilie:

Stop by Merlin's WW2 server sometime. We would be happy to help you.:thumbup:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Stop by Merlin's WW2 server sometime. We would be happy to help you.:thumbup:

Believe me, I have plenty of problems with them in CLOd. For me the more that I engage them the better I do. If I am away from the game for a few day's, I'm like a rookie all over again (well close to like a rookie). :pilotfly:

The AI in DCS are great opponents! No need to worry here.

I beg to differ; in an 1on1 the enemy AI is doing quite well. But imho there are some serious flaws with the AI, that I hope will be addressed by ED before the release of DCS: WWII. Luthier already stated RRG would not be able to fix them.

* DCS AI doesn't incorporate WW2 fighter tactics. ie: No drag and bag.

* AI wingman doesn't stay with the leader.

* AI sees through clouds.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

You should all see how high-skilled AI 109's in BOB 2 WOV work in pairs or threes to chip out your squadron one by one. DCS doesn't seem to have even prerequisites to begin working on AI tactics.

Edited by Bucic

• ED Team
You should all see how high-skilled AI 109's in BOB 2 WOV work in pairs or threes to chip out your squadron one by one. DCS doesn't seem to have even prerequisites to begin working on AI tactics.

Well lets remember where DCS has its roots, so I am sure some tweaking will need to be done for WWII to get closer to WWII AI simulation... perhaps another reason for making them separate?

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png