How much?!?!?!

brettt777

That's nothing compared to the FSX/P3D/X-Plane add-on's which go up to over 100 dollars easily. Meanwhile the F-14 (at full release) comes with 2 variants, 2 campaigns, a list of weapons and gadgets you can use at your disposal. So all things considered 70 dollar's is actually a bargain if you ask me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cost me NZ$106 down in here in lil ole New Zealand!

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's a bargain. You can overstress the airframe, wreck, get shot down, trap on the boat, launch, do all the stuff an F-14 can do and it only cost 70 bucks. Alternatively, you could go drop 30k on a 1968 Cessna and deal with hangar fees, maintenance, certifications etc. And you only get to wreck that once.

Sorry, no cool signature here.

70$ to fly the most legendary fighter of all time? It's a bargain if you ask me.

Not to mention:

2 F-14 models (A&B)

Aircraft-carrier

2 campaigns

Training missions

Jester RIO AI

We should really be paying much more.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Guys, one rather important aspect I don't see considered here is that this hobby of ours are enjoyed worldwide, by fellow pilots from very different countries when it comes to salaries, import taxes, sales taxes and such things. So throwing around prices for various hardware setups and claiming it sheep or robbery or anything in between really don't have to be correct in an other part of the world than your own. The price you pay might be like a month salary, while another guy has to spend a year salary to get the same setup.

And the price for our DCS modules are the same worldwide, and that will definitely affect different users economies in different ways, some will have to save for it a long time, while others just spend a dinners worth on it.

I don't take side, just want to broaden your view here a little.

Genuinely valid point. But OP is from Alabama, not Bangladesh :)

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Genuinely valid point. But OP is from Alabama, not Bangladesh :)
Wasn't really about the question per se, but the tendency to put price tags on decent hardware an claiming it cheap (wrong spelling earlier, sorry), while the same exact hardware might cost three times as much in another part of the world. And the following discussion quickly became divided between "IT'S A BARGAIN!" and "ARE YOU TRYING TO RUIN ME?!" without stating background and people basically started to accuse each other being either chinchy or fanboys.

Since this forum is an international one, judging price tags can generate very different reactions depending on location and social status. So dashing others opinion might not be perfectly fair.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I too was expecting $100 USD, and would have paid it x3 for all our gaming systems, and for a couple of friends in need as well. As Rrhode and others have pointed out, the current discounted price is an extremely good deal when comparing the F14A/B/2 Campaigns/etc to other products on the market in the simulation genre, and other games in general. The time, research, etc, should all be rewarded, as should future support.

Complaints on price are ridiculous IMO.

Also, just an FYI, Heatblur contributed a substantial donation to Cap from The Reapers on his GoFundMe for his cancer treatment situation. VERY generous, and I won't forget, Heatblur would have had my support regardless of such action, but now, I'll do whatever I can to positively inform other sim pilots in other games about the F14 for DCS.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I’m also genuinely of the opinion that I’d willingly pay more for the Tomcat. People seriously need to compare it to something like the price of a triple A title. In Australia that’s minimum $100/USD $70. Because you get more gameplay and hours out of a DCS module than any other game. If you complain that’s not the case then you clearly aren’t flying/studying a module to its full potential. The Tomcat is going to have my attention for years to come and allow me to live my childhood dream, which I think is something that I’d pay any price for.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

I should have paid better attention. I bought the Hornet a few weeks ago and would much rather have the Tomcat. I could have waited and just flown the F-15 while waiting.

Once I have the F-14 the F/A-18 will collect dust. Money I can't afford to waste.

Hmm. They are so different that they fill different roles for me. I’ll grab the Hornet when I’m flying solo and I feel like using modern systems like JHMCS and the moving map etc and once feature complete putting a JDAM through somebody’s bathroom window.

The Tomcat (particularly the A+/B variants we are getting) is such a different beast, no fbw, no modern instruments, barely any HUD, ultra long range missiles, challenging handling and the ability to having talking ballast in the back seat ( :thumbup: ) mean that it’s going to require quite a different approach to flying it and using the aircraft effectively. Different enough that I expect to be flying both of them equally once the initial Tomcat excitement dies down. I wouldn’t say you’ve waste the money on the Hornet, it’s not really a similar aircraft beyond its carrier ability. Anyway. just my 2 cents

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

$70 bucks is the price you pay for a decent bottle of whisk(e)y. Quite frankly I think F-14 should cost more than that.

This reinforces what Holton181 was saying. To some, Johnny Black is a decent bottle of whiskey. To others, Macallan 18 is a decent bottle off Scotch. And to others, Oscuro is a decent bottle of Scotch.

So it's a moot point arguing the "it's cheap/expensive" Buy whatever module hardware you're willing to pay for and enjoy it! Don't worry about what others are buying/playing.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hmm. They are so different that they fill different roles for me. I’ll grab the Hornet when I’m flying solo and I feel like using modern systems like JHMCS and the moving map etc and once feature complete putting a JDAM through somebody’s bathroom window.

The Tomcat (particularly the A+/B variants we are getting) is such a different beast, no fbw, no modern instruments, barely any HUD, ultra long range missiles, challenging handling and the ability to having talking ballast in the back seat ( :thumbup: ) mean that it’s going to require quite a different approach to flying it and using the aircraft effectively. Different enough that I expect to be flying both of them equally once the initial Tomcat excitement dies down. I wouldn’t say you’ve waste the money on the Hornet, it’s not really a similar aircraft beyond its carrier ability. Anyway. just my 2 cents

I agree, I'll still fly both. Mostly the F-14 though. F-18 won't become obsolete for me until the F-16 comes out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

People seriously need to compare it to something like the price of a triple A title.

no way, it's like comparing Herbie Hancock with Miki Minaj

The current price is set by the people who done the job, so only them know precisely to set the price according to real facts and values. AAA games, other ultra niche elitist addons on civilian sims, charity marketing pretexts (please, let me decide what laboratory I want to found, at least the ones I know) don't help to progress, its BS and non valid arguments.

The price looks fair indeed, DCS devs luckily respect people and they apparently are doing a present with this. So in my case I'll gladly accept that humbly and not bragging I still have money to offer like a sect member fanatic.

Anyway, Heatblur, ED, people are totally opened to any of your desires, charge them 180€ next time for their fix… the others that still need to check the product value for money are a nuisance.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

AAA games, other ultra niche elitist addons on civilian sims, charity marketing pretexts (please, let me decide what laboratory I want to found, at least the ones I know) don't help to progress, its BS and non valid arguments.

I was referring to comparing them for their substance/replay-ability, you will get more gameplay from learning all the systems/subsystems + procedures in the Tomcat than that of a AAA FPS (Excluding Multiplayer because it applies to both without mention). Because where my point was directed at meaning is that people complain about the price, yet they don't play/learn the module to it's fullest intent.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

I actually expected the price to be $100+. I wouldn't have bought at that price but that's what I thought the F14 would be.

i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs

Flight Controls:Virpil VPC MoogoosT-50 / MFG Crosswinds / GVL Throttle / Oculus Rift CV1

I agree, I'll still fly both. Mostly the F-14 though. F-18 won't become obsolete for me until the F-16 comes out.

Amen :thumbup: Ain't nothin' like a Viper :harhar:

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Guys, one rather important aspect I don't see considered here is that this hobby of ours are enjoyed worldwide, by fellow pilots from very different countries when it comes to salaries, import taxes, sales taxes and such things. So throwing around prices for various hardware setups and claiming it sheep or robbery or anything in between really don't have to be correct in an other part of the world than your own. The price you pay might be like a month salary, while another guy has to spend a year salary to get the same setup.

And the price for our DCS modules are the same worldwide, and that will definitely affect different users economies in different ways, some will have to save for it a long time, while others just spend a dinners worth on it.

I don't take side, just want to broaden your view here a little.

Very wise words there.

About the Heatblur F-14, sure the developers must be paid, and I would gladly pay even 100 € (115 USD as today) for it - because it is the Tomcat.

However, there's the problem regarding the need of increasingly expensive hardware to play these sims.

That's what I criticize, the HEAVY hardware prices (and quick obsolescence), really is the ungrateful aspect for many PC gamers around the world.

One must remember that an individual's purchase power varies from country to country, amongst other factors.

A little example from roughly 3 years ago:

Intel i7 4790K - 347 €

Asus Geforce GTX 770 (2 GB) - 313 €

16 GB DDR3 RAM memory - 130 €

Entry level Motherboard - 76 €

Entry level Joystick - 100 €

Not to mention the remaining components of a gaming PC, but you get an idea.

Minimum monthly wage here in Portugal at that time: 505 €

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I would have gladly paid more for the Tomcat as well, especially given all the extra content in the works. That said I do not think it would be good for them to put the price much higher than $70. If they had an option to just get the B variant for $60 I am sure some people would have jumped at that. Not saying I would have though. In the end lower prices is always better for the consumer. Finding a price is a hard thing to do, too cheap and you will have to sell far too many to turn a profit, too expensive and you wont sell enough to make a profit. It is all about finding that middle ground.

Modules: FC3, A-10C, M2000C, MiG-21bis, F-86F, AV-8B NA, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, A-29, Eurofighter Typhoon, A-6E, MiG-23MLA, Nevada, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Syria, Afghanistan

Specs: Intel i7 2600K, Nvidea GTX 980, 16GB RAM, NVMe SSD, Saitek X-55, TrackIR 5, Samsung Odyssey VR