Carrier Landings My thoughts and learnings :)

macedk

First up the case 1 is real life standard of carrier landing in that condition and is not easy to do. :)

You are required to do a lot at once, so go study the procedure, if not u are doomed from the start.

Like real pilots, if really messed up go around and try again, and tape or review your attempts, then you will see clearly why it went wrong .

Don't try to wing it, it will put you in disadvantage, in this case the procedure will help you 90% of the way. You thought you did it right and it dosen't click, ask questions :)

For me: On speed flying was a never done thing in 20 years of flying flight sims, I just manipulate my controls to fit my needs. This didn't hack it here by far.

So i had to learn the right way, and saw the benefits and am humbled.

When one dive into this stuff, I for one gets a hole new respect for pilots.

Remember this procedure is put in place so even to worst pilot qualified can land and not shot down the boat for the rest of the airbourne flights....yes lowest standard is super high.

From break it is roughly a 2 minutes 10 seconds thing ...

You want to learn this , as it is one of the coolest things, don't shortcut cause it will show and you have no excuses ;)

Now we have not talked about slight crosswind and choppy seas yet hehe :)

The cool thing about this, is if you get it ....you have multiple motor controls plus a brain that can work in sync,

Perspective: some high level cs go players were put through initial training to become a normal fighter pilot and showed some of the same skill required to handle a fighter plane, and some were told that on these tests, that they would be accepted into first training.

So you can learn this and if willing get good at it , but it takes practice :)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey buddy, glad you're loving it too! Indeed, it takes a LOT of practice to be a Naval Aviator. :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

The way I understand it the real pilots practice on land for quite a while before trying it on a carrier. Get the on speed procedure down pat on land first. Then it will seem much easier on the carrier.

If you die landing on the carrier you weren't ready. Go back to an airfield.

Buzz

True story! In real life, student Naval Aviators have a couple hundred hours of simulator and flight instruction from fleet Naval Aviators, perform hundreds of FCLPs (Field Carrier Landings), and only after proving their ability are they allowed to go to the boat. Even then, it is under extremely controlled conditions with very close supervision and guidance from fleet experienced LSOs who give the students and VERY short leash while qualifying. So unless you've had all of that training, no shame in having a few struggles. It is not an easy thing to do!

And despite all of this, the Navy has lost many aircraft over the years. To paraphrase a popular saying, carrier aviation is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

I can imagine the efforts that goes into a pilot getting certified to do landing on the boat.

Those are very expensive jets. We(Sim flyers) have the very unique luxury of immorality and respawning in a disastrous situation. In the same vein (hope this doesn't distract from original title of the thread) I wonder what happens to those aircrafts that crashes into the waters during recovery?

Do they just sink to bottom of the ocean or are pulled back up.

Seen some Aircraft carrier documentaries and no mention of tools on board or special crews that do sea diving to locate an recover these very expensive aircrafts.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Do they just sink to bottom of the ocean or are pulled back up.

Seen some Aircraft carrier documentaries and no mention of tools on board or special crews that do sea diving to locate an recover these very expensive aircrafts.

I found this: https://theaviationist.com/2015/12/29/super-hornet-recovered-from-the-sea/

I think that's an exception though, and most of the time the plane stays at the bottom. Recovery is very expensive and anything of value will have been destroyed. I imagine the only other time they might bother is to recover a body.

I found this: https://theaviationist.com/2015/12/29/super-hornet-recovered-from-the-sea/

I think that's an exception though, and most of the time the plane stays at the bottom. Recovery is very expensive and anything of value will have been destroyed. I imagine the only other time they might bother is to recover a body.

Thanks for the link.

Colossal waste to leave them down at the bottom the water. I know all electronic systems will be garbage after being submerge in water.

No wonder why a lot goes into ensuring the pilot are top notch.

Also the number of backup ground crew that check the aircraft before each flight.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset