Is ZTOD supposed to obscure the Meatball?

Nealius

After so many CASE I practices, one thing that is consistently screwing me up is having ZTOD in the HUD. When it's on, I have a very hard time seeing the ball. The real startup procedure says to turn ZTOD on, and I presume it's supposed to stay on for the majority, if not all, the flight. But is it supposed to be blocking my view of the Meatball? Do pilots IRL turn it off so they can actually see the ball?

After so many CASE I practices, one thing that is consistently screwing me up is having ZTOD in the HUD. When it's on, I have a very hard time seeing the ball. The real startup procedure says to turn ZTOD on, and I presume it's supposed to stay on for the majority, if not all, the flight. But is it supposed to be blocking my view of the Meatball? Do pilots IRL turn it off so they can actually see the ball?

I think it's all individual taste or dunno how to say it, but it personaly doesn't bother me at all. This is using VR.

How about playing with the height of your seat with the seat control switch by pilot left leg to get your view a bit above the area where the ZTOD is displayed.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I do not see a reason for timer to be displayed on HUD during landing.

Not for you, but for some other people they would rather have it there instead of looking down in the bowel of the Hornet, can be useful for people that does marshal stacks and try to time stuff, intervals etc.. I ratehr have it there all the time than fooling around to bring it up on or off. As you can see on real HUD videos, some uses, some doesn't, so i presume it's all amatter of coices and reasons. Same goes for cage or uncaged HUD i presume.

Edited by Doum76

For now I've been using it up until initial, at which point I turn it off prior to entering the break. I've played with the seat height a little, but then I get an issue with the bottom edge of the (I think) front HUD reflector class cutting some of my HUD information in half, making G/AoA/DME practically unreadable, depending on how my seat height is set.

I experimented with seat height and it helped marginally. Great view over the nose, though. The main problem with seat eight is that the bottom edge of the front HUD glass cuts holes through my symbology, which gets especially annoying when the FPM/AoA bracket gets cut.

Lowering brightness doesn't help much as the numbers are still distracting when so close to the meatball. Maintaining 30° AoB in left turns is difficult as well. Certain numbers like 6 and 8 completely obscure the bank indicator.