Gadroc's A-10 Build

Gadroc

Well I've been working in Sketch up to design my console based of Dimebugs excellent work. I've changed up the CP to use several LCD panels I already have. I'm going to use 3 8" and 1 5" LCDs for the CP. Both MFCDs will be thrust master MFCDs to start possibly giving way to 5" later each will get a 8" LCD behind them. I'll use a 3rd 8" LCD to run an EHSI/EADI CPD type display with 3 rotary encoders and 5 push buttons under it. Lastly I'll use a 5" LCD for the RWR.

I will be doing steam gauges for the rest... although I may use a 10.4 I have here to run the engine gauges at first as it's a perfect fit for them. I also have a 5" LCD I'll be using for the CDU. I'll be using my ACES seat from my UMC setup.

I'm almost ready to flatten out the parts and see about generating the g-code. Once I get it all worked out I'll up load my sketch up models.

6232952232_b6dde11452_b.jpg

Sketch Up files can be found here.

Edited by Gadroc
  • Like 1

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right! Your build has been the one I've been waiting for. Email notifications turned on. I can't wait to see what you do.

" I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See I have some top secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you might have for this here vehicle."

Couldn t expect less from SCsimulation guys... Its almost unfair :)

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I think I've finished the updates on the CP. I have now put in a 10.4" for the engine gauges to start. I'll swap it out later once I can get them all built as steam gauges. I've also put in an 1/8" sheet which I'll either CNC out of aluminum or hardboard. This covers up the monitors but keeps them close to the bezels. Last step is to finish the lower center cp, which I'll finish this weekend then upload the sketch up files.

6265022049_db6d42e0f9_b.jpg

With Cover

6265551666_7a31d2436e_b.jpg

Cover Off

I've also gone through the CP and put in 1x2s for screwing together the MDF.

6265551692_f83064904c_b.jpg

I also broke down and ordered a laser engraver to do panels with, which should be here on Monday and my first load of acrylic will be here next Wednesday.

Here is the model I ordered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40W-CO2-LASER-ENGRAVING-CUTTING-MACHINE-ENGRAVER-m7-/180709569590?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a13213436#ht_12951wt_1057

Be careful though. You will find a lot of negative feedback on this model. It's very cheap but you will have to tweak with it. A couple things I've gleaned from reading up on them.

1) Software SUCKS. Make sure you get one that either has direct print or next best thing is later version of MoshiDraw which has a CorelDraw plug-in. This can be mitigated by replacing the driver board with one that is Mach3 compatible.

2) You may need to add an air assist for cutting 1/4" material. You'll find some examples of doing this cheaply with aquarium pumps and tubing.

3) Expect to have to tweak / repair and realign this guy. It is bare bones and expect it to reflect the price tag. I'm dreading the laser alignment process but we'll see.

I would much rather get a machine that I can just use... but finances are not such that I could spend the $4000 to have that.

The engraver should get here Monday and I'll keep posted my experiences so others can benefit.

PS: I am in no way advocating that seller. I just found the one of the same model not even sure if that's the seller I used. There are several who all ship the same machine.

Edited by Gadroc
seller disclaimer

Thanks, I'm using MDF of course for my panels so of course laser isn't an option for that, therefore it's not going to be something I jump right into, but Ill be following your progress eagerly.

If it happens that I find no good way to mark MDF then I guess I'll look into metal and then we'll talk :P

476th vFG Alumni

My current plan is to use the CNC to route out 1/16" aluminum backplates. Then create a "sandwich" light panel on top of that.

I will have a 1/16" black acrylic LED holder. Then a 1/16" white reflector layer (with holes for the white 7000mcd less). The led's will then shine through an 1/8" green transparent NVIS/filter/diffuser and on top of that will be 1/16" engravable black/white plastic.

Engraver and LEDs get here monday, acrylic get's here wednesday. Hopefully I'll be able to get a test panel don't end of next weekend. Switched gears to work on the electronics while I wait for that. Writing up the firmware for the EOS protocol between boards now and I'll get a Helios interface to bind the inputs and led outputs.

Sounds interesting, but here are a couple of thoughts.

White LEDs don't necessarily have a smooth spectrum. Depending on how they are made they may have only a few well defined spectral peaks that the human eye experiences in aggregate as white. Putting a color filter on such a light source may not leave you with what you expect. You might be better off finding a green LED with a wavelength meeting (or close to) the NVIS spec.

A perhaps simpler approach to making the light plates is to use a single layer of "lighting white" translucent acrylic. Give it two coats of reflective white then two or three coats of black. Engrave through the paint layers. Mount the LEDs in holes in the aluminum backplate such that the LEDs protrude into partial holes in the acrylic. Use wide angle or edge-lighting LEDs. I've had good luck with this approach lighting instrument faceplates. I size the mounting hole to fit the LED body, but not the LED shoulder. I use a drop of epoxy over the back of the LED.

Ok. I think I've finished the updates on the CP. I have now put in a 10.4" for the engine gauges to start. I'll swap it out later once I can get them all built as steam gauges. I've also put in an 1/8" sheet which I'll either CNC out of aluminum or hardboard. This covers up the monitors but keeps them close to the bezels. Last step is to finish the lower center cp, which I'll finish this weekend then upload the sketch up files.

6265022049_db6d42e0f9_b.jpg

With Cover

6265551666_7a31d2436e_b.jpg

Cover Off

I've also gone through the CP and put in 1x2s for screwing together the MDF.

6265551692_f83064904c_b.jpg

I also broke down and ordered a laser engraver to do panels with, which should be here on Monday and my first load of acrylic will be here next Wednesday.

looking great, i will like to get any dfx file for panels you you have / create.

nice setup, me will look the same :-)

Avlolga

For the lazer printing machine, i know someone who've just recivied it. I will keep you informed, first test planned for tomorrow. The software suite doesn't seem to be very good, but he dont mind, he plans to change the control card for the step motors to use more usual CNC software.

For the lazer printing machine, i know someone who've just recivied it. I will keep you informed, first test planned for tomorrow. The software suite doesn't seem to be very good, but he dont mind, he plans to change the control card for the step motors to use more usual CNC software.

Thanks dimebug,

i am looking forward for your information.

i have more to practice with my DIY CNC !!!

Excellent. Mine is sitting at FedEx waiting for delivery on Monday. I'll be going over it with a fine tooth comb and aligning it on Monday. Then trying some test cuts with paper / cardboard till my acrylic gets here on Wednesday.