TGP no thermal view after 2.5.6 update

panph90

My A10C module have an error in the TGP view after the update: the thermal views (W hot and B hot) doesn't work properly. With some camera angle the screen goes black. The problem might be correlated to the target distance: i notice that it works (not always) with far object, while if i point the tgp closer to the aircraft the image disappears. I need to swap to "camera mode" (not thermal) to see something.

i play in VR, oculus Rift S, open beta 2.5.6

DCS 2.5.6 Open Beta - F-18C, F-14B, F-16C, Av-8b, A-10C, Uh-1h, SA-342, Mi-8MTV2, KA-50 Modules

Persian Gulf Map, Nevada Training Map

ALIENWARE AREA-51 INTEL

Intel I9-9940X - Nvidia 2080Ti 11Gb - 32GB RAM - 4TB SSD

Oculus Rift S - FULL VIRPIL SETUP: T50CM2 throttle, T50cm2 Base and Grip, ACE2 Rudder

My A10C module have an error in the TGP view after the update: the thermal views (W hot and B hot) doesn't work properly. With some camera angle the screen goes black. The problem might be correlated to the target distance: i notice that it works (not always) with far object, while if i point the tgp closer to the aircraft the image disappears. I need to swap to "camera mode" (not thermal) to see something.

i play in VR, oculus Rift S, open beta 2.5.6

Is it the flare from lighting? I noticed that when an explosion occurs, or a higher intensity light source is in the Litening pod's display, it "flares" the screen and makes viewing difficult or impossible. This is somewhat accurate. Either way, try deleting the contents of your FXO and metashaders2 folders, located in your saved games DCS folder. Could be a possible issue if you haven't done so after either the patch or the hot fix...... VR user here as well, all good on my side.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

The lighting is all yet to be tuned up, it's a big deal so this is all WIP, all we can do is raise a flag about it so it gets identified by the team.

All the color/brightness/saturation values and internal stuff needs to be adjusted, I couldn't get the MFDs looking right despite doing all kinds of adjustments inside cockpit (not mods), I got it close but there's layers inside the TGP/MAV that don't display right in any scenario, at least I doubt that's how it suppose to look.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 1 month later...

still having this issue :(

i'm playing the enemy within campaign and in some cases the flir image is totally unusable. I tried to play with the gain and level parameters but it looks like is not an adjustment issue but a render issue. Is like having flare on the lenses, but sun are in the opposite direction... The issue occur in every TGP position (i mean target in front, under, left or right the plane), specially when the target are pretty close.

In some cases, the flir camera goes black while swapping from wide to narrow zoom. The wide works, while the narrow goes black.

anyone has the same error? :(

DCS 2.5.6 Open Beta - F-18C, F-14B, F-16C, Av-8b, A-10C, Uh-1h, SA-342, Mi-8MTV2, KA-50 Modules

ALIENWARE AREA-51 INTEL

Oculus Rift S - FULL VIRPIL SETUP: T50CM2 throttle, T50cm2 Base and Grip, ACE2 Rudder

• ED Team

Hi

can you take a screenshot of what you are seeing.

Thanks

Screen_200421_102124.thumb.jpg.c054eea53f68a6779934a005361776df.jpg

Screen_200421_102118.thumb.jpg.6deee8867183b775ca9dd8b17a0ae670.jpg

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hey Bignewy

Would you press one of the rockers for brightness\contrast\symbology in both whot and bhot and screenshot them displaying their values.

Im having trouble dialling them in.

I cant get whot and bhot to display correctly without one looking over exposed.

Thanks

For me the TGP is completely washed out if there is any smoke (from burning vehicles) visible in the TGP field of view. As long as I don't point it directly at smoke it's fine, but as soon as the smoke gets in view the TGP is washed out. Completely white in WHOT, and completely black in BHOT. Adjusting brightness on the in MFCD does not help at all. The view is normal as long as there is no smoke visible.

For me the TGP is completely washed out if there is any smoke (from burning vehicles) visible in the TGP field of view. As long as I don't point it directly at smoke it's fine, but as soon as the smoke gets in view the TGP is washed out. Completely white in WHOT, and completely black in BHOT. Adjusting brightness on the in MFCD does not help at all. The view is normal as long as there is no smoke visible.

Exactly, I got the point last evening. I was looking at a compound, worked fine and the tgp goes black after the hit. If I’m looking at something burning all goes black (or white). I tried to play with level and gain of the tgp but is almost unusable.i barely see something with gain value 0.

I have to switch to normal camera to search targets, and that’s pretty difficult :lol:

There a way to reduce sensibility of the tgp in flir mode?

I understood the problem is the temperature range of the element in the view...

ALIENWARE AREA-51 INTEL

Exactly, I got the point last evening. I was looking at a compound, worked fine and the tgp goes black after the hit. If I’m looking at something burning all goes black (or white). I tried to play with level and gain of the tgp but is almost unusable.i barely see something with gain value 0.

I have to switch to normal camera to search targets, and that’s pretty difficult :lol:

There a way to reduce sensibility of the tgp in flir mode?

I understood the problem is the temperature range of the element in the view...

Did you clear out the fxo and metashader folders in your saved games after the OB?

Do you have chimney smoke set to 0 in the DCS options?

Another trick that has worked for me and others in the past is to delete the terrain metacaches in the main DCS install folders (e.g. Mods\terrains\Caucasus\misc\metacache\dcs). You need to do this for each terrain that you own. These will then rebuild the next time you start DCS

Edited by hornblower793
Added last trick

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Did you clear out the fxo and metashader folders in your saved games after the OB?

Do you have chimney smoke set to 0 in the DCS options?

Another trick that has worked for me and others in the past is to delete the terrain metacaches in the main DCS install folders (e.g. Mods\terrains\Caucasus\misc\metacache\dcs). You need to do this for each terrain that you own. These will then rebuild the next time you start DCS

i cleared out the fxo and metashaders maybe 2 weeks ago, and the chimney smoke set to 3 due to "the enemy within 3.0" campaign demand :lol:

I'll try to disable it, but the error occured earlier i set the value different from 0.

tomorrow i try to delete everything in the cache and i'll let you know.

Going to take even some screenshot :thumbup:

ALIENWARE AREA-51 INTEL

i cleared out the fxo and metashaders maybe 2 weeks ago, and the chimney smoke set to 3 due to "the enemy within 3.0" campaign demand :lol:

I'll try to disable it, but the error occured earlier i set the value different from 0.

tomorrow i try to delete everything in the cache and i'll let you know.

Going to take even some screenshot :thumbup:

Chimney smoke set greater than 0 is known to cause the issue you are describing

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Set chimney smoke to 0 and the probem persist.

ah, the problem is the same for AGM-65D, the one with flir camera. If something is burning they're unusable.

i have some screenshot:

Here's the compound i've already destroyed. TGP camera mode, no zoom.

C25C1B611CF1FBCA1BE6D0F874045B177FA1F670

Here's the same view, few seconds earlier, TGP in flir white hot mode, gain 4 level 4, no zoom.

9526FD73023EE88B584B7BDFA39BBD76D028845A

If i zoom in a little, just to make the burning area wider, here's the result. Obviously same with black hot. Tried to play with gain and level value, with no effort.

5E44D838B2EB097CE0A5BF335A04A5F7365F3A71

ALIENWARE AREA-51 INTEL

looks like the TGP is masked? was it flashing before it went dark? I see that the indication is present in the other shots too. Could be the wing blocking it looking at the angle of bank and where the target area is located.

Edited by ilikepie

Action After Contemplation

looks like the TGP is masked? was it flashing before it went dark? I see that the indication is present in the other shots too. Could be the wing blocking it looking at the angle of bank and where the target area is located.

lol, i didn't specify in the last post because i thought it was obvious...

the TGP is not masked (if it would be masked, i won't see all black but i can see there's the fuselage or in this case the wing tip). Even if there's the M. The 3 screenshot are taken at the same time, less than 5 seconds each other.

the image did not flashed. Just when i zoom in it gradually become black, as i zoom out it return.

the problem occur even if the target is in front of me. I said i have the same issue even if the agm65d, hard that to be masked...

Edited by panph90

ALIENWARE AREA-51 INTEL

So I've made a discovery with using the LITENING pod at night. If the MFD used to display the TGP image is set to Night (NT) mode, the thermal images are hard to read. WHOT is much easier to read, even at night, if you set the display to DAY.

See track (give me a moment while I get the TGP pointed at something useful to demonstrate :music_whistling:).

A10C TGP Night.miz

Try lowering "chimney smoke density" to 0 in your options, it helped in my case.

Start dcs.

Create new mission.

Place A-10C.

Make A-10C player.

Give A10C payload.

Give A-10C waypoint on ground.

Place enemy vehicle on waypoint.

Start mission.

Fire missile at enemy vehicle.

Wait and see if the problem persists.

Problem persists.

Exit DCS.

Delete fxo and metashaders folders.

Start DCS.

DCS frozen on logo screen.

Ctrl-alt-del.

Close DCS.

Start DCS.

Ctrl-alt-del.

Close DCS.

Start DCS.

Ctrl-alt-del.

Close DCS.

Start DCS.

Restart PC.

Start DCS.

Ctrl-alt-del.

Close DCS.

Start DCS.

Create new mission.

Place A-10C.

Make A-10C player.

Give A10C payload.

Start mission.

Problem persists.

Exit DCS.

Delete fxo and metashaders folders.

Start DCS.

Ctrl-alt-del.

Close DCS.

Start DCS.

Create new mission.

Place A-10C.

Make A-10C player.

Give A10C payload.

Start mission.

Problem is gone.

Start real mission.

Game crashes after 26 minutes because of bowwaveemitter error.

Start DCS.

Create new mission.

Place A-10C.

Make A-10C player.

Give A10C payload.

Start mission.

Problem is back.

This is how I spent 1 hour and 20 minutes of my two hours of spare time today.

I just took a ride with A10c - using Flir. No issue here but on my previous flight some times ago (1 or 2 monthes ?) I had the same issue (even a smoke marker was a blinding light source in Whot Flir).

All I can say is I have chimney smoke to zero, I have latest NV driver (445.87, installed with custom option to cleanup prior to install).

I have noticed with Flir issue that Fxo Metashadders2 have no effect, but a clean driver install usually does.

EDIT : Also reboot after clean driver install.

A10c-Flir-April30th2020.thumb.jpg.f40f72f04d44d65a589aec3d9affc6e2.jpg

Edited by toutenglisse
in post