Music On !

Flow

Hello Everyone -

Quick question about the ECM in the Flanker.

When you turn it on, it needs to warm up. The status LED is blinking while that is happening.

Is it strobing during warm up or not ?

I was wondering if it would be a good feature to map to the HOTAS for quick on / off strobing if someone locks me on their radar, like the F-15/16 do in order to break the lock.

If I need to wait for it to warm up every time, it kind of defeats the purpose of what I want to do.

What I would like to do :

I detect an STT lock on me -> beam to one side + ECM strobe = break the lock if far away enough.

Turn off ECM quickly in order to "disappear".

i7 7700k • 1080Ti • 32GB @ 3200 MHz • 525GB M.2 • Oculus Rift

Warthog + Pro Flight

Hey buddy !! during the warm up time, there is no emission. It will start jamming only after the warm up is complete and the light & the E.C.M symbol on the HUD is stable. Further, to disappear you don't need to have E.C.M. The biggest trouble that E.C.M gives is remembering to switch it off. So if you forget to switch it off, you might get into trouble.

Have a look at this manual that i created on fighting in an Su-27. Might help you a little.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3066037/

Edited by =ITGC=Verticle Charlie

Regards

№15 | Verticle Charlie

Commanding Officer

No. 15 " Battle Axes "

Hey buddy !! during the warm up time, there is no emission. It will start jamming only after the warm up is complete and the light & the E.C.M symbol on the HUD is stable. Further, to disappear you don't need to have E.C.M. The biggest trouble that E.C.M gives is remembering to switch it off. So if you forget to switch it off, you might get into trouble.

OK thanks for your input.

I wanted to control it with a script. Button pressed = ECM on, as soon as I let go of the button = ECM off.

It frustrates me when my radar loses lock on an F-15 because he strobes his ECM for a couple of seconds. Trying to keep it in TWS as long as I can, but it switches to STT when close enough automatically. Frustrating :)

Warthog + Pro Flight

I was wondering if it would be a good feature to map to the HOTAS for quick on / off strobing if someone locks me on their radar, like the F-15/16 do in order to break the lock.

If I need to wait for it to warm up every time, it kind of defeats the purpose of what I want to do.

What I would like to do :

I detect an STT lock on me -> beam to one side + ECM strobe = break the lock if far away enough.

Turn off ECM quickly in order to "disappear".

That is exactly the reason why the warm up was added. The F-15 has that warm up as well.

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

That is exactly the reason why the warm up was added. The F-15 has that warm up as well.

AI still uses that technique though.

In the real aircraft can you keep it "warm" without strobing ?

Warthog + Pro Flight

AI still uses that technique though.

AI has always been able to do things the rest of us can't :)

In the real aircraft can you keep it "warm" without strobing ?

Thats how its working - listening, emitting, then listening again to see if lock was broken etc(automated).

The problem is that ECM in the sim is very simplistic. It only involves the noise jamming technique, which in turn is much too effective and will instantly jam anything when employed even for a brief second.

People were exploiting this online in exactly the way you said you wanted to and, as winchesterdelta1 said, it was the very reason why the warm-up feature was implemented :)

JJ

AI has always been able to do things the rest of us can't :)

Thats how its working - listening, emitting, then listening again to see if lock was broken etc(automated).

The problem is that ECM in the sim is very simplistic. It only involves the noise jamming technique, which in turn is much too effective and will instantly jam anything when employed even for a brief second.

People were exploiting this online in exactly the way you said you wanted to and, as winchesterdelta1 said, it was the very reason why the warm-up feature was implemented :)

Thanks for your feedback. That makes that I do not use ECM at all.

Warthog + Pro Flight

ECM is useful against SAMs. It will allow you to operate closer to them. If playing against human opponents, ECM can help mask your exact position, and in some cases, that of your friends, thus concealing the number of incoming bandits for a while.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You're welcome :)

To add to what I said above, although the jammer permits you to operate closer to SAMs, it also lets you 'stray' deeper into the threat zone, so when burn-through occurs, the shot can be more dangerous.

And as far as concealing yourself and/or others goes, burn-through occurs at certain distances, inside which the jammer is useless - in fact it may cause you problems.

Full fidelity modules don't have better ECM/ECCM simulation, just different in some cases - FYI.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Do you know the typical burn through distance of the F-15 radar when using ECM on the Su-27 ?

Can they launch a missile on HOJ in DCS?

Warthog + Pro Flight

Should be around 28nm orc a little shorter in game head-on. It will be above 20nm. Tail-on (or at least behind the 3-9line), the range shortens again.

And yes, they can launch missiles in HoJ track.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]