A-10C FM discusion

I too believe the main issues with the A-10 has been drag, but I think this has been the case with almost all modules in DCS and it hasn't been changed for almost 10 years. I am hoping that with new technologies and upgrades,this will get improoved

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Not sure what a helicopter has to do with it but I understand your point on expense vs gains. From my perspective at least it is not asking for an expensive code change. In general, engine behavior is modeled pretty good, except that the expected power reading is lower than normally accepted.

No, the real engines are tuned to perform the same as the charts in terms of thrust no matter the age. What is different is efficiency and longevity. In that regard real engines are generally less than the charts but that is not something to be concerned with at all in our little simulation world.

Moving engine stuff to my other reference topic to keep the conversation clear for other FM stuff. In general the references are good, but doing max power checks is saying something is off with implementation

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ryzen 5 3600 (4.1Ghz), 32 GB DDR4, Sapphire R9 390X Nitro, Fatal1ty B450 K4

TrackIR, Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Not sure what a helicopter has to do with it but I understand your point on expense vs gains. From my perspective at least it is not asking for an expensive code change. In general, engine behavior is modeled pretty good, except that the expected power reading is lower than normally accepted.

No, the real engines are tuned to perform the same as the charts in terms of thrust no matter the age. What is different is efficiency and longevity. In that regard real engines are generally less than the charts but that is not something to be concerned with at all in our little simulation world.

Moving engine stuff to my other reference topic to keep the conversation clear for other FM stuff. In general the references are good, but doing max power checks is saying something is off with implementation

You have to look at this as a whole entity to match up with flight performance and the supplied data and charts. This was created using military supplied engine and wind tunnel data.

Like these

and this was beta tested to death by many SME's and beta testers.

Including crew chiefs like Snoopy I believe and they all got this wrong (or not good enough) over how many years and hours of testing and coding back then?

I have not seen enough new data that guy's like Yo-Yo "can use" to modify all the equations and still have it all "line up as close as it does today" and I'm not talking about what is just seen on gauges IRL. This is a PC simulated environment, not IRL.

We can write up a new virtual 2J-TF34-116-9 or 1A-10C-2-71JG

DCS-1A-10C-2-71JG and make it work for the sim.

I would also like to know how accurate do you think the military sim is? Compared to the real aircraft? Snoopy has flown one, is this million dollar sim spot on? (NO) How much you think they spent getting it to that level with the money they have?

How much should ED spend looking for perhaps 2% in the engine model or flight model getting it there? So it matches up with your (IRL) ITAR documents. (potentially illegal and contract breaking / doesn't look real good etc)

The video is for (this) FM thread sorry, but also relates to how many SME's you think got it all wrong back then and now want ED to spend another year your so playing with engine and aircraft equations to hopefully make it that little bit better.

Could Yo-Yo remodel the engine now and get it a little closer to the quirks of real life today, if enough NEW info available? Possibly, why would they.

Listen in on just

's are on this 3rd party module.

They also talk about how the million dollars sims are still not quite right.

But it's perfectly cool to bust ED's balls for a 60 dollar product to get it 100% real world perfect and match every real world document you can find?

So some Professional expectations is expected here, just like these guy's in the video talk about.

discussing the DCS OH-58D

EDIT:

For those interested.

Whats really involved in building an engine or flight model?

Here is the level on the consumer side (EFM API) you can go to. CptSmiley is an aeronautical engineer that now works for RAZBAM on their flight models.

Some statistics:

- Lines of code: >5000

- Aerodynamic look-up tables: >24

- Breakpoints (data resolution): tables range from 5 breakpoints up to 1900 for most of them

- Data source - NASA technical papers

How accurate is the flight model (aerodynamics)?

- As accurate as possible with all flight data available (mostly from wind tunnels)

How accurate is the control system?

- As accurate as the NASA manned sim, using the same math model and block diagrams

- Modeling of the mechanical servo-dynamics are in there as well

How accurate is the engine model?

- Extrapolated equations from the NASA manned sim

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

The drag.

This is one of the things people don't think much about. Someone point the finger at the engine's performance, while instead there may be a correlation.

In the past, between one patch and another, there has been a significant change in this sense, and I remember it well. And while the engine parameters have remained the same, the aircraft's performance and behavior have changed.

The ED has already spoken about the engines also in detail. Now it would be useful to receive some information about the "fluid" in which the aircraft move.

Have a good day.