Trying Normandy during free month with 2.5.6: performance drop

Claviateur

Hi,

I have DCS World 2.5.6 and I am trying the Normandy map during the free month. I don't play with DCS too often but I have all other maps except Normandy that I am trying during this month to see if I will add it to my collection.

Unlike the other maps I own already, with Normandy, after few flights/missions, the performance goes from super smooth at the beginning of the flight to unplayable.

I think after a few misions/flights this starts to happen. The frame rate starts to drop even in solo free flight mode.

It happens even during free flights where I am alone and no action in the air or on the ground...

I also got a couple of crashes to desktop with the Normandy map. DCS sent automatic bug reports...

I even ejected from my M2000 and started walking around on the ground and it was a slide show.

Again this does not happen with dense and busy maps like for example flying over Dubai etc.

I doubt this has to do with details or graphic settings. I have the same graphic settings, nothing changed for all maps. To me it seems as if it was a memory leak issue or something of that sort...

Is it a known issue with 2.5.6 by any chance?

Thank you

Hi,

I have DCS World 2.5.6 and I am trying the Normandy map during the free month. I don't play with DCS too often but I have all other maps except Normandy that I am trying during this month to see if I will add it to my collection.

Unlike the other maps I own already, with Normandy, after few flights/missions, the performance goes from super smooth at the beginning of the flight to unplayable.

I think after a few misions/flights this starts to happen. The frame rate starts to drop even in solo free flight mode.

It happens even during free flights where I am alone and no action in the air or on the ground...

I also got a couple of crashes to desktop with the Normandy map. DCS sent automatic bug reports...

I even ejected from my M2000 and started walking around on the ground and it was a slide show.

Again this does not happen with dense and busy maps like for example flying over Dubai etc.

I doubt this has to do with details or graphic settings. I have the same graphic settings, nothing changed for all maps. To me it seems as if it was a memory leak issue or something of that sort...

Is it a known issue with 2.5.6 by any chance?

Thank you

I've noticed similar today, my first try at the map and the fps were rather low and the sim crashed a couple of timed. Latest OB running. I will have to follow up in the next few days, as I'm considering to buy this map for helicopter flying in its beautiful scenery.

Has anyone made similar experiences lately?

A-4E | AV-8B N/A | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-5E | F-14A&B | F1 | FC3 | M-2000C | Mosquito | P-47D | Spitfire | AH-64D | Mi-8MTV2 | Mi-24P | SA342 | UH-1H
Nevada | Normandy | Persian Gulf | Sinai | South Atlantic | Syria | The Channel | Supercarrier | NS430
i7-5820K @ 4.50GHz | 32GB DDR-4 @ 3.00GHz | 2x 1TB NVMe SSD | Asus RTX 2070S O8G
Saitek X-52 Pro HOTAS | Thrustmaster TFRP pedals | TrackIR 5

I made more flights last evening in Normandy using different aircraft among those available during the free month, and although I had performance drops a few times, it did not last beyond a few seconds during the flight. It was not critical and persistent like the other day.

My quick missions had only ground vehicles and it was set to Max and I was alone, no wingman...

So no idea if it's aircraft-related

or:

Also, I noticed when I use the canons at low altitudes the performance sometimes, but I was flying fast toward a passing by train. So the ground vehicle could be the cause...

Another possibility, some air bases or specific locations might be causing this perhaps. It could be the presence of vehicles or another factor.

The altitude transition could be also a hint who knows...

Could it be the online connection to servers although I was flying solo.

But all these are simple speculations because this performance drop during some flights in Normandy does not seem to be consistent or based on a pattern that I could identify.

Also, I got many crashes to desktop with a bug report dialog only when I was generating a quick mission in Normandy. Also, I could not find a pattern for this.

I always read this kind of thing and wonder why people have a hard time running this when I'm playing it beautufully on a seven year old AZUS laptop.

Do you all turn off your background programs? I use ENDITALL for this. I also run CCleaner. I find that these two apps two of the best ways to keep your games running smoothly.

My laptop only has a 2 GB video card. An 860m.

I don't run with everything on low, either. MSAA is on 2. I have shadows on.

Mirrors on is one thing that really affects the framerates. I DO turn those off.

If I'm running this as smoothly as I am on my AZUS, I can't understand why you guys with more powerful rigs are having problems. Turning the vehicles on max might be an issue, though. Does it have to be on max?

But framerates dropping when you are simply alone flying in free flight shouldn't be happening. I don't know what kind of machine you're running this on, but it has to be better than mine.

I always read this kind of thing and wonder why people have a hard time running this when I'm playing it beautufully on a seven year old AZUS laptop.

Do you all turn off your background programs? I use ENDITALL for this. I also run CCleaner. I find that these two apps two of the best ways to keep your games running smoothly.

My laptop only has a 2 GB video card. An 860m.

I don't run with everything on low, either. MSAA is on 2. I have shadows on.

Mirrors on is one thing that really affects the framerates. I DO turn those off.

If I'm running this as smoothly as I am on my AZUS, I can't understand why you guys with more powerful rigs are having problems. Turning the vehicles on max might be an issue, though. Does it have to be on max?

But framerates dropping when you are simply alone flying in free flight shouldn't be happening. I don't know what kind of machine you're running this on, but it has to be better than mine.

Background applications in Windows could be the cause, you might be right.

But other maps do not have this issue using the same graphic settings or mission settings.

My machine is a simulation machine I use it for other flight simulators and for my graphic, multimedia and video work.

Again, DCS with my machine is very smooth in all maps.

Normandy has something that sometimes makes the performance go from super smooth to stutters that build-up or drops and get back to normal after few seconds or drops to become a slideshow...

Not mentioning the crashes to desktop during quick mission creation at Normandy.

I just love WW2 scenario. Normandy map is beautiful but wait until you play one of the paid campaigns with like 30 aircraft in the air...

A-10C / AJS-37 / AV-8B / BF-109 / KA-50 / F-14 / F-16C / F-5E / F/A-18C / FC3 / JF-17 / F-86 / M-2000C / MiG-21bis / P-51D / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / UH-1H Huey

I just love WW2 scenario. Normandy map is beautiful but wait until you play one of the paid campaigns with like 30 aircraft in the air...

Yes, I love the ambiance and scenery of Normandy very beautiful. I wish it was wider than that in terms of coverage. Well, it's called Normandy after all.