HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Pick the Windows 10 October 2018 version for 1809. Not sure where 1803 is available without a MSDN subscription or publicly now.

1809 doesn't have the 1903 bug right?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

1809 doesn't have the 1903 bug right?

Yep, 1809 is good. It seems the maximum impact is on the Odyssey Plus clarity, but it does do something for sure on Reverb as well. Because we're talking much higher resolutions on the Reverb, it might still just be good enough on 1903, but I don't have one, so can't offer a decent opinion for sure.

I don't think so - I am still on 1809 and have not gotten the update pushed to me yet.

Sad to say but I hope nothing updates for a while cuz I finally got it working they way I'd always wanted it to work. Would suck to have something break now due to patching LMAO.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

well this would be for a new install. Can I download 1803 instead of the latest greatest?

Ooooh. I don't think so. EVEN if you use the old media creation tool, it'll fetch the latest during the upgrade. I'm pretty sure that's happened to me before. I'm pretty sure I have the media creation tool, so if you want to give it a shot, I can go dig up the files.

You can create the bootable USB drive with existing Media creation tools, then delete all files and replace with the older.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I don't think so - I am still on 1809 and have not gotten the update pushed to me yet.

Sad to say but I hope nothing updates for a while cuz I finally got it working they way I'd always wanted it to work. Would suck to have something break now due to patching LMAO.

You should go into Windows updates settings, Advanced, and use the Halt update option.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

A lof the issues sounds like similar ones to the Rift USB power drain (and again with the Rift S) where not enough juice is going through the USB 3.0 port. I wonder if they are going to redesign that cable connector and perhaps look at an external power supply now? Some people are claiming to have success with the Reverb with a PCI-E powered USB card, rather than their motherboard - sort of pointing at a power issue.

Well, I had mine plugged into a powered USB socket, and it made no difference to the flickering. Pretty sure I read somewhere that the cable was definitely up for a redesign.

The audio issue is definitely hardware related as I just had to waggle the earpieces to get the audio back. Only ever happened to one ear at a time.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Well, I had mine plugged into a powered USB socket, and it made no difference to the flickering. Pretty sure I read somewhere that the cable was definitely up for a redesign.

The audio issue is definitely hardware related as I just had to waggle the earpieces to get the audio back. Only ever happened to one ear at a time.

Perhaps it would work to use a 3rd party USB card to offload all the OTHER USB devices and hopefully free up juice (technical term) for the Reverb.

Would you mind giving that a go at some point if you haven't already?

I totes agree about the cable. It's a lot more stable now I've captured the connector in a loop secured to the headset strap.

A small pie is soon eaten

That article is quite old now and is talking about 18632.145. I was updated to 18632.175 about a week ago, and still, this 'bug' is not fixed according to previous discussions.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks HansangB - Yea I just checked it again. Its available but I will not be partaking :)

Just took another free flight through Dubai, and I must say, I am a very lucky man. With all the latest stuff, and adding the CPU affinity fix with Process Lasso, I get a constant and CONSISTENT 45fps at mach 1 through the streets and between buildings at less than 200 ft. I didn't even see one stutter. All my gauges and DDIs are clear and fully readable. Not sure what else I could ask for, or what the HP will bring over what I already have...

Today is a good day for VR for me.

Edited by Nagilem

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Perhaps it would work to use a 3rd party USB card to offload all the OTHER USB devices and hopefully free up juice (technical term) for the Reverb.

Would you mind giving that a go at some point if you haven't already?

I totes agree about the cable. It's a lot more stable now I've captured the connector in a loop secured to the headset strap.

Way back when I first started using my Rift, I found that the self-powered USB hub I was using still didn't provide sufficient power to run the Rift and my HOTAS. I was getting random disconnects and all kinds of weirdness, which was discouraging because I had always thought a self-powered USB hub would eliminate issues like that. That thought turned out to be false.

Installing a StarTech PCIe USB card that has a direct connection to my rig's 1200W power supply solved the problem for good.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Thanks HansangB - Yea I just checked it again. Its available but I will not be partaking :)

Just took another free flight through Dubai, and I must say, I am a very lucky man. With all the latest stuff, and adding the CPU affinity fix with Process Lasso, I get a constant and CONSISTENT 45fps at mach 1 through the streets and between buildings at less than 200 ft. I didn't even see one stutter. All my gauges and DDIs are clear and fully readable. Not sure what else I could ask for, or what the HP will bring over what I already have...

That's pretty amazing performance for Dubai. My fps dips down into the 30s in same scenario. I have installed Process Lasso as you recommended a few days ago. I have it set to "High Performance". Is there anything else I should be doing? How do I enable the CPU affinity fix you mentioned? Thanks!

System: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z170 S Motherboard | Gigabyte RTX2080Ti GAMING OC 11GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) @ 3200 MHz | Corsair RMi Series RM650i | DCS Installation Drive: 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD | HP Reverb Pro

Sim Controls: VKB Gunfighter MkIII MCG Pro | LH VKB Kosmosima | Pro Flight Trainer Helicopter Collective | VPC Mongoos MT-50 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | 2 X Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | 2 X Elgato Stream Decks (15 Keys)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Way back when I first started using my Rift, I found that the self-powered USB hub I was using still didn't provide sufficient power to run the Rift and my HOTAS. I was getting random disconnects and all kinds of weirdness, which was discouraging because I had always thought a self-powered USB hub would eliminate issues like that. That thought turned out to be false.

Installing a StarTech PCIe USB card that has a direct connection to my rig's 1200W power supply solved the problem for good.

Thanks, I'll consider that!

I had to do the same for the rift because of the sensors and I have the odyssey plugged in to the startech card now. I used the powered USB hub for my hotas now.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

There are loads of other bug fixes for the release, even though it was treated with Microsoft's longest ever test phase for a Windows 10 release.

42a951ca5c642d449eb7809b2eeca1a6--funny-epic-fails-funny-signs.jpg

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

That's pretty amazing performance for Dubai. My fps dips down into the 30s in same scenario. I have installed Process Lasso as you recommended a few days ago. I have it set to "High Performance". Is there anything else I should be doing? How do I enable the CPU affinity fix you mentioned? Thanks!

In PL - I selected DCS.exe and setup:

Priority - High with windows dynamic enabled

CPU Affinity - No HT; make sure every other core is selected 0,2,4,6,8... The odds are HT.

IO - High

Application Performance - High performance

Memory - normal (best setting)

For stuff running during my flight - Tacview recorder, Discord, SRS, and Viacomm

Turned up my SS to 212% in Steam for that flight. Not sure if that makes a difference from 200 but some are saying that is closer to native for o+.

So far so good. waiting for my reverb... Looks like I got pushed back to after 6/21. I may get the index before the reverb at this rate :D

Sorry guys, faulty memory. The card wasn't made by StarTech, its made by Inateck. Here's the link for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Request for my settings

* First a have an overclock on CPU and GPU!

* When i purchased the reverb i go to the windows build 1903! All updates installed.

* Latest driver from nvidia installed

* When i play DCS i close as many background programs!

* I installed the reverb and there was 'the mixed reality portal'

* From steam i installed windows mixed reality for steamvr

* From steam i installed steamvr

* From internet i installed "advanced settings openvr"

* Steamvr setting video manual resolution '200 %' - assume you enable custom resolution in video and set to 200%?

* Open "advanced settings openvr" - where is this steamVR settings menu?

* steamvr settings: application supersampling 2.0 - where is this?

* check enable supersampling override - where is this?

* check enable motion smoothing - wjere is this (don't have a steamvr setting?

* restart steamvr and ready.

dcs settings

[ATTACH]212150[/ATTACH]

Last setting PD 1.0

:D

thanks for the settings!

some questions next to each one?

also what settings are you using in the VRsettings notepad file for reprojection?

Sorry guys, faulty memory. The card wasn't made by StarTech, its made by Inateck. Here's the link for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Noooooo! I've just ordered the startech card! :(

To be fair it's also a 3.1 card with direct SATA connection from the PSU so it will probably do just fine.

Nagilem, I think you should post on this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243521

I'll have a shot at the Reverb in about 90 minutes. Still wrapping up some work stuff.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Since this topic sort of turned into 'The Lost WMR Settings Manual' tips area, the other thing I wanted to point out for people to try (as this one is quite subjective and based on personal tastes) is in WMR you can use the SteamVR setting of 'Enable advanced supersample filtering' on or off. It's found in the Developer tab of the latest SteamVR settings panel.

Because SteamVR is doing the supersampling for WMR, this setting is used and applied to the pipeline at the end. It is sort of a FXAA algorithm that smooths out some jaggies and has a low run-time cost, typically a couple of fps.

I personally like MFD fonts and the like super sharp, so turn it off, but it does help the 'out of the cockpit' antialiasing in DCS a bit, without having to resort to the much slower MSAA on the DCS settings side. It could be worth a try.

ELhA6Uo.jpg

So, anyway, thought I should point that out for future Reverb (or other WMR) using people to try.

Noooooo! I've just ordered the startech card! :(

To be fair it's also a 3.1 card with direct SATA connection from the PSU so it will probably do just fine.

Pretty sure you can't go wrong with StarTech either. You should be fine. :D

Few questions, what Aircraft, GPU usage and cpu usage during that test? What's your ram and vram usage? Do you look left and right or just strait? How long do you fly the test?

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED

O.M.G. Reverb is INCREDIBLY clear. I mean I got used to clarity because of Pimax5K+. I thought *that* was a step up from Rfit. Before I got SteamVR Mixed Reality installed (Windows Mixed Reality installed by itself) I thought I was ready to go. Since WMR installed by itself. Then I fired up DCS and it came up as a regular 2D big screen app inside the WMR portal. And even though I knew something was off, I got VERY excited because the 2D DCS in the big panel in the portal looked INCREDIBLE. No different than my monitor.

So I took a deep breath and installed the SteamVR's Windows Mixed Reality (search for it in the store). Then I jacked up the SS in SteamVR to 188%. That gives me 2208x2160 resolution. I set DCS' PD at 1.0.

WOW. HOLY COW. I mean there was *nothing* in the FA18 that I couldn't read. The small numbers on the MFDs were not a problem.

And I got 70's FPS in downtown Dubai at 300' off the ground. I even did the "Ready on the flight line" instant mission because in the past, that ate up FPS like crazy. Just looking at the other parked Hornets made the FPS drop. Here, it just went to 45, and went back up to 70s and 80s.

I mean COME ON!!!! @imacken, I have to believe something was wrong with your Reverb. There is a CLEAR difference between P5K+ which already has a CLEAR difference between the CV1.

I didn't change any settings yet. My in game setting is below.

And the default.vrsetings file had "renderTargetScale" : 2.0

And everything for motion reprojection was commented out (the default)

This was in Windows 1809.

MpiUroA.png

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

But here's the thing. I see what people mean about less 3D-ness. The buildings look cartoonish. I'm going to have to play around with IPD setting in the game to see if the scale is wrong. Or it could be because the bldgs are super clear and maybe it is supposed to look cartoonish. I need to fly around in the ocean where there are no bldgs to see what's what.

But when people say it's like gaming on monitor (clarity wise, I'm not talking about 3D-ness), it's DAMN close to my Predator 34" monitor. I mean it's really really clear. And so much better FPS than my P5K+ it's ridiculous.

As for FOV, it's better than Rift. The reason why I know is because when I tried the Rift after P5K+, it was 100% scuba diver's mask view. With Reverb, it's a little better scuba mask view. No where near what P5K+ does in terms of FoV. But the added clarity and smoothness makes it worthwhile.

I'll have to play some more tomorrow as I have work to do. Dammit! :)

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---