MiG-21 bring-back capability..?

BeachAV8R

So I was looking through the manual today - and I see several situations where the MiG-21 can land above the maximum certified landing weight, but the asterisks are a bit hard to keep straight. Does anyone have a simplified chart (or text) that makes it easy to tell what exactly you are allowed to bring back to the airfield?

For instance - I really don't see any mention of the Grob - and am wondering if you are allowed to land with those still attached? I mean, I see in the manual you are allowed to bring back two guided missiles (does that include the Grob?) at weight under 7300 as long as fuel is less than 800L.

:music_whistling:

BeachAV8R

I think my heaviest landing was with 2300L fuel and 2 AA missiles.

edit:

Out of curiosity, I just tried landing with two Groms and 1600L fuel, total weight 8149kg. It can be done. :)

Edited by grunf

So I was looking through the manual today - and I see several situations where the MiG-21 can land above the maximum certified landing weight, but the asterisks are a bit hard to keep straight. Does anyone have a simplified chart (or text) that makes it easy to tell what exactly you are allowed to bring back to the airfield?

For instance - I really don't see any mention of the Grob - and am wondering if you are allowed to land with those still attached? I mean, I see in the manual you are allowed to bring back two guided missiles (does that include the Grob?) at weight under 7300 as long as fuel is less than 800L.

:music_whistling:

BeachAV8R

The Grom is not what they mean by 'guided missiles'. They're talking about weapons in the R3S and R3R weight range, so around 80kg per missile. The Grom's warhead weighs more than that by itself.

That said, the MiG's landing weight limits assume that you're operating from a forward airfield, so they're not only taking the strength of the gear into account: they also account for stopping in a reasonable distance. On our nice long DCS runways you're probably okay so long as you can touch down with a sufficiently low vertical speed while also remaining below the speed limits of the tyres. A landing while loaded to MTOW with fuel tanks and missiles is a no-no, but you can get away with a lot more than the manual tells you.

Landings at high weight are much more difficult. I usually burn off excess fuel before touchdown by flying around on full afterburner with the airbrakes deployed :music_whistling:.