G940 Pedals to USB

Can I use this to hook my G940 rudder pedals to USB.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Modem-Serial-Adapter-ICUSB232FTN/dp/B008634VJY/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1464491821&sr=1-5&keywords=usb+to+db9+female

Since my change over to X-55 (thanks to Logitech's sloppy work) I wish to use these as stand alone pedals. Right now I have 2 flight sticks on my desk and that is just not going to work.

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, this is not a "joystick" USB controller, is a NullModem.

This work:

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=187

Maybe need some wire rearrange internally in pedal potentiometer wires to match this scheme:

http://www.leobodnar.com/products/DFPG25conn/DFPG25sch_new.png

Cheap option (require DIY): http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pro-Micro-ATmega32U4-5V-16MHz-Replace-ATmega328-Arduino-Pro-Mini-/191673953805?hash=item2ca0a86e0d:g:DgQAAOSw34FVHUan

Edited by Sokol1_br

No, this is not a "joystick" USB controller, is a NullModem.

This work:

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=187

Maybe need some wire rearrange internally in pedal potentiometer wires to match this scheme:

http://www.leobodnar.com/products/DFPG25conn/DFPG25sch_new.png

Cheap option (require DIY): http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pro-Micro-ATmega32U4-5V-16MHz-Replace-ATmega328-Arduino-Pro-Mini-/191673953805?hash=item2ca0a86e0d:g:DgQAAOSw34FVHUan

Thank you. Cable ordered.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Please report if it works :)

I presume this could also solve the hysteresis problem for the rudders as I suppose the issue is present in the joystick firmware?

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Please report if it works :)

I presume this could also solve the hysteresis problem for the rudders as I suppose the issue is present in the joystick firmware?

It won't solve hysteresis as it won't work, as sokol said you need a joystick control board, not just a cable. The bodnar board works very well and solves hysteresis, which along with plenty of grease and removing the centre spring makes the g940 pedals usable, but still not great.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

It won't solve hysteresis as it won't work, as sokol said you need a joystick control board, not just a cable. The bodnar board works very well and solves hysteresis, which along with plenty of grease and removing the centre spring makes the g940 pedals usable, but still not great.

AFAIK, he said the adapter cable WILL work? It's not just a cable, but it has an adapter board inside (null modem to USB); the only question is if Logitech used the same wiring scheme on the G940 pedals as on their racing controller pedals.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I would like to clarify a few things and also ask for assistance.

Please note this is the result of HOURS of online study.

This product (listed below) is supposed to be a stand alone product for G27 (and other) racing pedals. I happen to have a G27 so that works great for me.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=97&products_id=187

but..........................

My understanding is the G940 has a different wiring schematic.

The Logitech G25/G27/DFGT/DFP or Generic Pedals Adapter wiring diagram

DFPG25sch_new.png

VS.

The Logitech G940 Rudder Pedal Wiring Diagram

DFPG25sch.png

I thought about using this product to "correct" the wiring issue.

http://www.l-com.com/d-sub-plastic-pcb-jumper-box-db9-male-female

What I would like is some input by experienced people as to whether this is a viable solution.

I would also like confirmation that the G940 wiring diagram I have posted is correct.

The main advantage I see is that I do not have to make permanent modifications to the G940 Pedals and when I use the G27 pedals it is as simple as removing the jumper box.

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One member here seems to mention modifying the pinout in a similar way so he can use the same cable.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=121506

http://www.leobodnar.com/products/DF...G25sch_new.png

With this observation I mean that is need check the G-940 pedals pinout BEFORE plug the L.Bodnar cable.

In short, is not "PnP". :D

Maybe is need even fit a new DB-9 male connector in G-940 box, and wire their pot's there, what is simple, will just use 5 wires, +5V, GnD, Rudder, Right Brake, Left Brake axis inputs.

This model dont require solder:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DB9-D-SUB-VGA-DE9-Male-Adapter-9Pin-signals-Terminal-Breakout-Board-screw-2-row-/321695444703?hash=item4ae68aeedf:g:EVIAAOSw7aBVA-Uj

EDIT: Seems the difference is the Gnd and +5V pins positions, L.Bodnar controller:

DFPG25sch.png

G-940 pedal pinout:

attachment.php?attachmentid=102483&stc=1&d=1407613820

DIY work is needed. ;)

Edited by Sokol1_br

EDIT: Seems the difference is the Gnd and +5V pins positions, L.Bodnar controller:

DFPG25sch.png

G-940 pedal pinout:

The diagram you posted was stated to be the G940. The Leobodnar cable is a bit different.

For your comparison.

Leobodnar Cable

DFPG25sch_new.png

G940 Pedals

DFPG25sch.png

See, they are different.

Should I just go with this for the Pedals?

If this does not work I will simply either use the cable with my G27 or sell it and get most of my money back. If it does work I will have found a verified solution to this issue. I will post my results either way.

At this point what I need most is for someone to verify the "correct" wiring diagram.

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just tested my G940 pedals, they work OK. At least the calibration values looked smooth enough, and I seem to remember the pedals worked quite fine in the sim as well.

The pinout is different from the G25/27 pedals, though, so you'll need something like this between the pedals and the Bodnar cable. In the image, the pedals connect to the right, the Bodnar cable to the left.

Here's the pinout for the converter box; those are the actual numbers printed on the connectors themselves. I double checked the connections, but the usual disclaimers apply... EDIT: my pinout seems to match your images - if you swap GND and +5V, the axes will be inverted, but that's not a problem since you can adjust for it in the sim.

Pedals        Bodnar
1    black    6
2    orange   2
3    green    3
4    yellow   4
5    red      1

du66kUd.jpg

pedalconverter.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Reksi-Erkki
Pinout confirmed

Dear Shilka. I hate you so very very much. Love, Rex

ZQuickSilverZ

L.Bodnar adapter will work, just require a simple rearrange of wiring, you can even install a new DB-9 connector in pedal case - as the adapter cable is 1,5 m length - and wire then in parallel with G-940 wire, so you can use in both ways, connected in G-940 throttle/stick or with adapter. :thumbup:

This guys saying that don't work is because they just plug and don't nothing more.

Awesome.

Now we have a how to to make the G940 pedals standalone.

Thank you all for your assistance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

OK I now have the LBodnar cable. It works well with my G29 race pedals.

I have a new problem however.

I refuse to pay shipping that matches the cost of purchase for this jumper box.

What I am asking now is for assistance (I have already made an attempt) in finding an alternative jumper box. Hopefully with reasonable (I don't consider $11 shipping that l-com wants to charge me reasonable) shipping cost.

The example shown in Reksi-Erkki's post would be a good solution. Any ideas where I could find something like that?

du66kUd.jpg

I will post my success (or failure) on here for reference for anyone else that wants to try this.

Help me help us :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I will avoid use this case box simple installing the DB-9 connector inside pedal base, wire the internal wires in then and plug the Bodnar Adapter there, so don't use the Logitech cable.

Or, cut the connector in Logitech cable, assemble the new DB-9 connector to match Bodnar Adapter there.

I did not want to make a permanent alteration.

Again if you can show me where to find the case box it would be really appreciated.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I did not want to make a permanent alteration.

Again if you can show me where to find the case box it would be really appreciated.

Free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XPlastic+Enclosure+Terminal+Box+Case+for+Electronic+Circuit+Black.TRS0&_nkw=Plastic+Enclosure+Terminal+Box+Case+for+Electronic+Circuit+Black&_sacat=0

• 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...

I just made a USB converter for my G940 pedals. Somehow there is an attachment missing above. So if anybody else is attempting this, check your wires. 1-4 are correct but ground is on 5.

I used an Arduino Pro Micro clone for 10$ and an RS-232 extension cable for 4$. Programming with MMJOY2 was an easy process.

Rock 'n' Roll!

Henning

• 5 months later...

Signed up here just to post this for any tourists visiting from Google, since I also used a lot of the information in this thread. Thank you!

My G940's ground was on pin 5 like Dustoff74. I also double-checked the Leo Bodnar Adapter I received a week ago, and it's pinout was identical to "DFPG25sch_new.png", NOT "DFPG25sch.png".

The L-COM DJB9MF is supplied with some jumper wires, which have regular PVC insulation, so they're quite stiff. Would have liked to see silicone insulation so they'd be more flexible when you close up the plastic clamshell, but regardless when I put the plastic shell on I gently bent them downwards and it snapped together very well.

Leo Bodnar Pedal Adapter $44.62 shipped direct from Leo Bodnar in the UK to the US.
L-COM DJB9MF $25.93 direct from L-COM shipped to the US.

Logitech G940 Pedal Adapter.jpg

Edited by SixWingedFreak
Pricing & such
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 5/30/2016 at 8:08 AM, ZQuickSilverZ said:

I would like to clarify a few things and also ask for assistance.

Please note this is the result of HOURS of online study.

This product (listed below) is supposed to be a stand alone product for G27 (and other) racing pedals. I happen to have a G27 so that works great for me.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=97&products_id=187

but..........................

My understanding is the G940 has a different wiring schematic.

The Logitech G25/G27/DFGT/DFP or Generic Pedals Adapter wiring diagram

DFPG25sch_new.png

VS.

The Logitech G940 Rudder Pedal Wiring Diagram

DFPG25sch.png

I thought about using this product to "correct" the wiring issue.

What I would like is some input by experienced people as to whether this is a viable solution.

I would also like confirmation that the G940 wiring diagram I have posted is correct.

The main advantage I see is that I do not have to make permanent modifications to the G940 Pedals and when I use the G27 pedals it is as simple as removing the jumper box.

Why would that difference in the wiring even matter? The pots aren't polarized so the polarity doesn't matter. The only thing would be you might have to invert an input in the axis settings, but other than that, either one should work fine. Am I reading this right, that the Leo Bodnar cable would put the 5vdc into the pedals on pin 6 instead of pin 1? Why would that make any difference to the analog pots in the G940 pedals?

Edited by brettt777

I7 4790K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z97S SLI+, 32GB HyperX 2400 DDR3, GeForce RTX-3060ti 8GB DDR6, Rosewill 80plus Bronze 1000w, Corsair Hydro H100i, Intel 160GB SSD for OS, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Intel 1TB SSD for DCS, P3D, Star Citizen, Sound Blaster Zx, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I, Logitech G940 FFB stick, dual throttle & pedals, TrackIR 5, Surround Speakers & Subwoofer, Oculus Quest 2 VR.

:joystick::pilotfly: