Advice on Virpil Warbrd base and TM Warthog and F18 sticks needed

Cowboy10uk

Hi all, I’ve been offered the chance to grab a Virpil Warbrd Bass with Cosmosim cams to replace my 3 YO warthog base.

I was just wondering if it would be worth it, The Warthog is working fine but I’m led to understand the internals of the Virpil of better quality and allow more finer movements while flying.

I’ve never heard of the Cosmosim cams so will need to do homework on that one.

But basically for those of you using this type of setup, would it be worth it?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Hi all, I’ve been offered the chance to grab a Virpil Warbrd Bass with Cosmosim cams to replace my 3 YO warthog base.

I was just wondering if it would be worth it, The Warthog is working fine but I’m led to understand the internals of the Virpil of better quality and allow more finer movements while flying.

I’ve never heard of the Cosmosim cams so will need to do homework on that one.

But basically for those of you using this type of setup, would it be worth it?

100% worth it. I have 2 WarBRD bases for my Warthog and Hornet sticks, and it is chalk and cheese compared to the Warthog base in terms of sensitivity etc.

There are several other threads here on this subject.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I have a warbrd base and it is damn fine, cosmosim cams are linear force (same force across all range of movement) the aviasim cams get harder to move further out from center they are moved

Also CAM's come in two centre types soft center and no centre (I use no centre for more precise control)

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

cosmosim cams are linear force (same force across all range of movement) the aviasim cams get harder to move further out from center they are moved

[...]

I would rather say that with cosmosim cam the force will increase linearly, while with avia cam it will increase exponentially.

Exemple here with T50 base, cosmosim cam (Green) versus Avia Cam no center (Orange).

MT-50-CamsSite.png

Grab it if you can, you won´t regret! I´m using the WarBRD base with the Warthog grip on top, soft center aviasim cams and heavy springs installed. With the soft springs this combo is usable, but pretty much flippy floppy. The heavy springs are still much softer than the WH spring, but IMO fit much better to the heavy Warthog grip than the soft ones.

cheers

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Grab it if you can, you won´t regret! I´m using the WarBRD base with the Warthog grip on top, soft center aviasim cams and heavy springs installed. With the soft springs this combo is usable, but pretty much flippy floppy. The heavy springs are still much softer than the WH spring, but IMO fit much better to the heavy Warthog grip than the soft ones.

cheers

+1 for this - I also have a 5cm extension with my grips so that I can change grips without touching the connector in the base. It is a lightish feel but does get you flying with control

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the F18 stick on my Warbrd with the no center cams and the standard springs. I bought the extra heavy springs but found that even the normal heavy springs were too much for my taste.

I now feel like I have much more control during all phases of flight.

i9 10900X & 5700XT

VPC WarBRD, TM F18C, VPC Alpha, VPC T50CM2 Throttle, TM TFRP Pedals, Oculus Rift S

Well guys, I’m now in the club. She arrived today in the mail.

Thankyou for all the advice, I’ve ordered the heavy duty springs from Virpil, as she has normal ones currently installed with the cosmosim cams. So will get them swapped over along with the Aviasim cams and see how I get on.

Certainly at the mo I’ve attached the Warthog grip and yes that is damn soft, although I’ve not actually tested it flying yet, so you never know I might like it.

I’ve also order the joystick mount so I can get that drilled to fit my current warthog mount for the wheel stand pro. I’ve seen others have mounted it similar and that appears to work fine.

Fingers crossed everything will be up and running in a week or so.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Congrats! I have all of the new bases/sticks available out there, and I still feel one of the best bang/$ out there, and even outside of that ratio, just plain "what's best", that the Virpil Warbrd base with a good metal TM stick, be it the WH, Cougar, or Hornet stick, is extremely hard to beat.

I use Monster mounts with my Virpil and VKB setups now, but I'm still a die hard desktop hotas proponent, and feel much more competitive in online PvP competitive combat flight sim games, with my forearm planted on the desktop gaming surface. CH Fighterstick had always been my "go to" for this use, but the Virpil Warbrd+WH stick supplanted it (VKB Gfighter is up there too, but getting TM stick adapters is like nearly impossible for the Gfighters).

Good choice sir, maybe report back in this thread once you get all settled in with your new Virpil!

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Congrats! I have all of the new bases/sticks available out there, and I still feel one of the best bang/$ out there, and even outside of that ratio, just plain "what's best", that the Virpil Warbrd base with a good metal TM stick, be it the WH, Cougar, or Hornet stick, is extremely hard to beat.

I use Monster mounts with my Virpil and VKB setups now, but I'm still a die hard desktop hotas proponent, and feel much more competitive in online PvP competitive combat flight sim games, with my forearm planted on the desktop gaming surface. CH Fighterstick had always been my "go to" for this use, but the Virpil Warbrd+WH stick supplanted it (VKB Gfighter is up there too, but getting TM stick adapters is like nearly impossible for the Gfighters).

Good choice sir, maybe report back in this thread once you get all settled in with your new Virpil!

I currently use the CH stick - what differences do you notice with your Virpil+WH compared to the CH stick?

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I will mate, just spent some time swapping the cams about ( had the cosmosims installed ) and changing the springs from soft to extra strong, which were to strong, so back to soft. Awaiting Virpil to send me some medium springs to see if that feels right.

I may have also accidentally just ordered the F14 stick as the it became available with no rudder axies.

I have the mount all delivered now, just need to get the holes drilled in it to match the Warthog mount on my wheel stand pro, and everything should then be sorted.

I’ve calibrated and installed the software as well. So getting there, slowly but surely. Reckon 2 weeks for the new springs, but hopefully the mount should get drilled in next few days. So I can at least have in installed temporarily before they turn up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One more question, I’ve removed the screws from the joystick connector as recommended by Virpil if using the TM grips, but it really doesn’t feel secure and I’m concerned I’m gonna damage the connector when swapping the Warthog and F18 grips about. Really don’t like the way it pulls out of the stick when swapping them over.

Do you guys keep the screws in or have you removed them?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Put your finger on the connector to stop it rising out if you are worried about movement, virpil recommends you remove the screws to allow the connector to not be damaged

Was reading a post on reddit last week, guy did not remove his screws ... wrecked an F-18 and warthog grip .. ouch expensive mistake

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Put your finger on the connector to stop it rising out if you are worried about movement, virpil recommends you remove the screws to allow the connector to not be damaged

Was reading a post on reddit last week, guy did not remove his screws ... wrecked an F-18 and warthog grip .. ouch expensive mistake

Ouch, yep most definitely do not want to do that. ????????????????

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One more question, I’ve removed the screws from the joystick connector as recommended by Virpil if using the TM grips, but it really doesn’t feel secure and I’m concerned I’m gonna damage the connector when swapping the Warthog and F18 grips about. Really don’t like the way it pulls out of the stick when swapping them over.

Do you guys keep the screws in or have you removed them?

Right. I keep the screws in and have not had an issue.

Before I say anything more I DO KNOW THAT THE OFFICIAL ADVICE IS TAKE THE SCREWS OUT!

I was concerned about the same as you, i.e. hotswapping sticks. It seems to me that it is potentially more dangerous to the connectors with the screws removed. If you are swapping sticks often, it is a real pain to hold the connector when removing and replacing in another stick, with lots of potential for damage.

Personally, I got round this whole hot-swapping thing by buying a second WarBRD base, but I stll keep the screws in both.

I have said this before a couple of times here, but I'll say again, I don't actually understand the advice about removing the screws. Both my Warthog and Hornet stick show no movement at all with the screws in, and in fact, are mostly secured by the large heads on the 2 screws in question. (Much bigger heads than the ones in the Warthog base). They fit the recesses on the sticks, and therefore don't allow much movement. I don't actually see much difference in the original Warthog base situation. Same amount of movement and potential connector damage there.

Opinions differ on this, but that's just mine.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I took appart my WarBRD multiple times to change cams, springs and whatnot...

ANY thrustmaster stick works with the base.

With or without the 2 screws, the base is fully functional.

If you take the screws out, you have more then enough cable lenght inside so you are NOT going to create any issue to remove these screws.

With screws, your stick is mountable in only 1 position

Without screws, you can mount it with an angle. My f/a 18 is rotated 15deg left just like in the plane.

Whe you screw the tightening nut of a thrustmaster stick to the base, the nut goes fully screwed but the male plug is not in firm contact with the stick metal piece soon top of the lid, you can glue a tiny elastic cut to lenght to match the circumference in order to shim it. Then, added friction and no more twisting....

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

With screws, your stick is mountable in only 1 position

Without screws, you can mount it with an angle. My f/a 18 is rotated 15deg left just like in the plane.

Whe you screw the tightening nut of a thrustmaster stick to the base, the nut goes fully screwed but the male plug is not in firm contact with the stick metal piece soon top of the lid, you can glue a tiny elastic cut to lenght to match the circumference in order to shim it. Then, added friction and no more twisting....

Good advice. Thanks much for the info. :thumbup:

Just had a Warbird base delivered and switched my TMWH stick to it. Nicely built and feels lovely and smooth ... but really not convinced yet - WH handle flops around a lot! Tried stiffer springs but that seemed to make it worse, I seem to be over correcting everything, so switched back to weaker ones.

I've switched my base back to TM - boy did it feel stiff! I'll have to give it another go next week. :(

Just had a Warbird base delivered and switched my TMWH stick to it. Nicely built and feels lovely and smooth ... but really not convinced yet - WH handle flops around a lot! Tried stiffer springs but that seemed to make it worse, I seem to be over correcting everything, so switched back to weaker ones.

I've switched my base back to TM - boy did it feel stiff! I'll have to give it another go next week. :(

There are extra heavy spring for the warbrd base https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-warbrd-base-heavy-spring-set.html

Yes, it does feel very floppy compared to TM base, I think it's to do with the Virpil sticks being plastic and lighter. You get used to that, and with the extra sensitivity of the WarBRD base, you'll never go back!

I use the WH grip on the WarBRD base with heavy springs installed and i think it works great, a bit floppy yes, but overall realy good. The soft springs were much too floppy and iirc the stick didn't recenter correctly, leaning a bit forward. Also own the extra heavy springs. But i haven't tested them yet, as i'm pretty happy with the current setup. It needs some time to get used to the softer base with the heavy TM grip on top, but i'd never go back to the WH base as sidestick w/o extensions.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

I'll probably switch back next week, I'm sure its just a question of what you're used to (I've been using the TMWH for many years) and I just need to give it time ... unfortunately, I have a comp this weekend and my BFM is bad enough already - wobbling around, my gunnery could be very amusing to watch!

Edited by Kula66

• 2 weeks later...