AI flight model

Jester986

I play a lot of singleplayer and unfortunately I'm subject to the whims of the AI flight model. With the WWII content coming please consider making adjustments. I understand that it can't have the detail as the player aircraft without melting our cpu's into slag. But chasing F-5's, Mig-15s, and 109s on endless vertical loops isn't fun. The F-5 aggressor campaign is a perfect example. The second mission is practically unplayable when dogfighting other F-5s because they can go vertical forever while you quickly lose energy. The only way to beat it is using wildly unrealistic tactics.

• Like 1

Yup...one of the reason I never purchased Aggressor campaigns is coz the AI has BIG advantage over you in close combat. I stick with the other campaigns. The aggressor campaigns are just plain useless now.

I doubt the AI would be improved anytime soon. We could expect that at 2022 and thats a long way. But till then they should apply some programmed restriction for AI on how long they could pull Gs and how many endless tight loops they does.

Dogfights are hard here, the AI just mocks you...:ranting:

• 3 weeks later...

Glad it's not just me. I hate to fly against anything on less than excellent difficulty, but things like WW2 and Korean War era aircraft are ridiculous. The Mig15 on excellent was out climbing me in a M-2000C the other day. They AI is still just as stupid as ever, but they never seem to lose much energy while maneuvering. The one notable exception has been the AI in a F-86. They're particularly stupid for some reason.

I don't want easy, and I don't want to follow an overpowered loop bot that ignores physics.

I would love to fly against "top gun" level AI. I don't care if it melts my CPU. I'll buy a new one.

It would be great if BFM against the AI was adequate training for going up against a competent human pilot.

The aggressor campaigns also have the massive flaw of setting the AI to Excellent, which gives them more thrust than the player has (despite flying the same plane).

I tested a while ago (roughly), and when set to Excellent (or High depending on the aircraft, especially the Mig15 as you noted) the AI just bleeds less energy than the player regardless of flight condition. When you tone it down to Average/Good it's more fair, but then the challenge isn't exactly great.

• 1 year later...

I'd love to see something as simple as the ability for the AI to move slowly into a turn so I could do some practice formation with them rather than trying to follow them as they snap roll to the left or right.

• Like 3

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

IIRC Nick said in the interview they have a very talented guy coordinating AI work.

On the other hand i doubt any advanced AI FM can be implemented right now before the multithreading because the main core is already hard pressed with calculations.

Edited by bies
  • Like 3

On 8/11/2021 at 7:11 AM, bies said:

IIRC Nick said in the interview they have a very talented guy coordinating AI work.

On the other hand i doubt any advanced AI FM can be implemented right now before the multithreading because the main core is already hard pressed with calculations.

I can see why it wouldn’t be a number one priority but being able to practice formation so that you don’t look like an idiot would be really useful and doing it in a MP server like Aerobatics Online is an exercise in incommunicative Anarchy. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

• 1 month later...

I think this Topic needs a push.

The AI flight model is one of the biggest issues with DCS right now.

- endless vertical loops without loosing energy...

- lacking blind spots (not sure if this one still applies), flawless spotting.

This is mostly relevant in warbirds for me, but nevertheless.

I didn't memorise the roadmap, though I hope it's a top priority regarding the core game.

Cheers!

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"