6 DOF vs "good old days"

Allesmor Obranna

Just a quick nostalgia

I found my notes from an argue back in 2003, when the Lock On was a part of the Ubisoft Forum.

At that time my nickname was kolbola and I talked about that the cockpit was not a real 3D, despite what the IL-2 had.

As I read back the text it seems that my communication performance was not so... accurate?

Let say, it was totally wrong, even if what I said was true. I was just frustrated... sorry.

Funny thing that the final consequence is at the bottom of the flame: -who cares the 3D cockpit since we have a serious simulator?!

:)))

I glad to see how far we are now from those days.

(sidenote: My first meeting with this saga was in ~1996, DOS based Flanker 1.0 or 1.1 and I was a very big fan of it...)

http://forums.ubi.com/archive/index.php/t-21085.html

• 2 weeks later...

Same. I grew up with 2d sims like MSFS 5.1-95/98 and red baron(I know there are old timers here who remember punch card pcs but cut me some slack:thumbup:). I'm always amazed at how far graphics have come. I feel I was born at the right time for this. Hell my first gfx card I remember was a voodoo from 3dfx compared to today 900/1000 series Nvidia cards. On top of all that and now with Track IR and VR....the amount of immersion...reminds me of why I got into all of this, can;t wait to see what else comes up.

PS: This probably belongs in the PC hardware/Chit Chat sub threads.

Windows 10 Pro 64, I5 4690k @4.6GHz with CAPTIAN 240EX AOI, Samsung 850 EVO ,G Skill Ripjaws 16G RAM, Nvidia GTX 970 STRIX, MSI Z97 GAMING 5, WD Blue 1TB HDD, Seasonic M12 II EVO psu, Track IR 5, Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S

My first 'computer', that I did not build from parts, was a C-64. I had a 300 baud modem for it too. I won't even go into what the 'flight sims' looked like.

Yes, we have come a long way and I, too, am glad to be living during this time.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The interesting thing about 2D cockpits vs. 3D cockpits was their readability.

I remember there was a 3D cockpit in stock Falcon 4.0, and nobody used it except for dogfighting, because it was blurry and ugly. The 2D one looked much more accurate and was better readable (and clickable!).

Same for the MS Combat Flight Simulator IIRC.

EDIT: Oh, and of course performance also was an important factor.

Nowadays - even without VR - there is no reason why one should choose a 2D cockpit over a 3D one I think. The last games frequently using 2D cockpits are sims like FSX I think.

But back then a 2D cockpit that looked nice (like in LOMAC or F4.0) was state of the art. Especially for jets with their loads of instruments. For Props you could go 3D much easier.

Screen and texture resolution where definitely limiting factors for 3D.

Windows 10 Pro 64, I5 4690k @4.6GHz with CAPTIAN 240EX AOI, Samsung 850 EVO ,G Skill Ripjaws 16G RAM, Nvidia GTX 970 STRIX, MSI Z97 GAMING 5, WD Blue 1TB HDD, Seasonic M12 II EVO psu, Track IR 5, Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S

I tried TrackIR 5, but was not enjoying it because my head moves too much.... everyone else, I think 90% of the people I fly with very often, use it religiously... I am still not 100% for it for myself, but if I had the extra cash, I might give it another go. I know this thread didn't mention TrackIR, but came close enough... I too have had computers since the early 1980's.... and early sims...

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

I tried TrackIR 5, but was not enjoying it because my head moves too much.... everyone else, I think 90% of the people I fly with very often, use it religiously... I am still not 100% for it for myself, but if I had the extra cash, I might give it another go. I know this thread didn't mention TrackIR, but came close enough... I too have had computers since the early 1980's.... and early sims...

I kinda had the same problem first time I set up my Track IR, every time I breathed in my head would move slightly and translate in game. There are tones of setting you need to play around with, depending on how far your track ir camera is, and whether your using IR hat clip or the pro (I always use the hat just more comfortable for me as I have crappy head phone but a decent 5.1 surround system) Going to do the IR ball modification because that's the only annoying thing is it loses track a bit easier. But once I got the sensitivity and track limits set....I could never go back :thumbup:

Yea, the factory settings for sensitivity in trackIR are way over the top.

I wish this nostalgia could be, in thought, translated more to people. Nowadays I feel the forum (and discussion in general of any game) turn to the "its not good enough" and "current tech should be getting us more than we are getting"... I mean... did we really forget it this quickly, how utterly bad games looked in the past? Or even, go back two years! We didn't even have a proper 6DoF cockpit for the Su25T, and the grapchics engine was still old...

Ideas for improvement are always good, but I feel people in general are not at all greatful for what we have in our hands. Or at the very least they rarely say it.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Yea, the factory settings for sensitivity in trackIR are way over the top.

I wish this nostalgia could be, in thought, translated more to people. Nowadays I feel the forum (and discussion in general of any game) turn to the "its not good enough" and "current tech should be getting us more than we are getting"... I mean... did we really forget it this quickly, how utterly bad games looked in the past? Or even, go back two years! We didn't even have a proper 6DoF cockpit for the Su25T, and the grapchics engine was still old...

Ideas for improvement are always good, but I feel people in general are not at all greatful for what we have in our hands. Or at the very least they rarely say it.

+1!

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64