AFN-2 navigation to homing beacons

Mud

Does anybody know if the AFN-2 navigation is already operational in the current state of the module?

From what I can find here on the forums, it seems there are no beacons present on the Caucasus map, but perhaps with setting up a beacon yourself on a vehicle?

Mud

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

It works for Bf.

You should set airport frequency in mission editor, for instance Kobuleti is 111.5

But You must be very close to RWY to receive transmitting, not far than 10km. And very close to RWY axis too.

Screen_160928_100151.thumb.jpg.13a31e491524463ff8e173f7a2194974.jpg

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

@saburo ... ist that the ILS freq ??? ...shouldnt it be the Freq of the Tower/atc ? ... i guess that would increase the range as well.

( i have just a vague imagination concerning frequencies and ranges of this "radiostuff" ... feel free to correct me)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two types of fighter pilots - those who have, and those who will execute a magnificent break turn towards a bug on the canopy . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/schnarrsonvomdach

http://www.twitch.tv/schnarre

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schnarre-Schnarrson/876084505743788?fref=ts

Thanks for the answers. I'll give it a try tonight.

I'd love to know more about the DF homing. Was it used only for close range precision navigation, or could it be used from further out than 10km (kinda like the current TACAN).

Unfortunaly my searches on Google have come up empty-handed so far.

Spoiler

@Schnarre The ILS antennas emit in MHz frequency (usuallly 108.10-111.95MHz) which can't travel far and are easily obstructed by the environment. Actually the band is very narrow, that's why there are many antennas which emit simultaneously. The ATC/tower frequencies don't coincide with ILS freqs.

• Like 1

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I'd love to know more about the DF homing.

Unfortunately, WW II modules in DCS World are without it.

This system is not simulated for Bf and Fw, both are proper antenna, but not functional equipment.

And P-51D were mostly without it, only Mustangs from C-B-I and some from 5th AF carried receiver and antenna. None from ETO.

AFN2 is here instrument for precise landing (like ILS, but only locator not glide slope)

btw. this german WWII "Lorenz landing beam system" operated between 30 and 33 MHz, thus its capability to receive todays ILS signal is some "simplification" (but not problem for me)

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

I tried to find something about Luftwaffe fighters radio-navigation, it is different from todays system and Alies WWII which are base for todays.

Unfortunately, in DCS it is completely wrong.

AFN2 should not show any information about ILS system. Not only because of different frequency but different method too.

Moreover it needs another devices, Fu Bl 1 marker receiver, works on 38Mhz (todays 75MHz) it switch On lamp in AFN2, and Fu Bl2 localizer receiver, 30-33MHz (108 - 112MHz).

AFN2 with FuG 16ZY as is in DCS should indicate only azimuth and distance to beacon, like todays NDB with DME, on its frequency range. For it beacons must be placed somewhere on the map, these beacons are not included.

p.s. it is NOT any kind of complaint about DCS World, it just interested me, planes avionics was my job for long time and now NAV and COM ATC systems are it :smilewink:

p.s.2 if any have anything to correct my info i would appreciate it :thumbup:

• Like 1

F-15E | F-14A/B

Very informative. Thank you, Saburo!

Fingers crossed now for ED to add beacons :)

Spoiler

Very informative. Thank you, Saburo!

Fingers crossed now for ED to add beacons :)

Especially for the new Normandy map!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

FuG 16 Z, ZE and ZY: These sets were airborne VHF transceivers used in single-seat fighter aircraft for R/T and W/T communications, and were also used for ground fixes and DF homing on ground stations when used in conjunction with the FuG 10P or FuG 10ZY. Installed for Bf 109G-3/G-4 and later, FW 190A-4 and later subtypes. Frequency Range was 38.5 to 42.3 MHz. The FuG 16ZY was also used for Y-Verfahren (Y-Control), in which aircraft were fitted up as Leitjäger or Fighter Formation Leaders that could be tracked and directed from the ground via special R/T equipment. Aircraft equipped with ZY were fitted with a Morane whip aerial array. Principal components: Transmitter, Receiver, Modulator in one case, S 16 Z Tx, E 16 Z Rcvr, NG 16 Z Modulator Dynamotor U 17 Antenna Matching unit AAG 16 Z Modulator Unit MZ 16 Homing Unit ZVG 16 Indicator AFN - 2