Latest update trouble... again - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-17-2018, 06:59 AM   #11
NineLine
Community Manager

More of a warning would have been nice for the previous patch, but this is Open Beta, it's not always stable, and this is why we run these updates through Open Beta.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #12
LeCuvier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
More of a warning would have been nice for the previous patch, but this is Open Beta, it's not always stable, and this is why we run these updates through Open Beta.
More of a warning? I haven't seen any warning!

When such new, potentially disruptive, functionality is introduced the user community is entitled to get information about what it is, what it does, and how to handle any issues. There was nothing - except a basd surprise!

And in the world of professional software management, a beta version is a fairly stable version for testing by educated and well-informed users before the general release. It is not a place for trying poorly conceived and insufficiently alpha-tested functionality.
ED uses the Open Beta to market new modules that are not ready for general release. That approach provides cash flow from products that are still in development and that helps to finance development, great for ED, and it provides a lot of feedback that's beneficial for the development process. But it also attracts far more users into he beta version than you would allow for a "normal" beta release, And these many users need a higher level of quality and better communication than what we have seen recently.
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Last edited by LeCuvier; 10-17-2018 at 10:51 AM.
LeCuvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:02 PM   #13
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCuvier View Post
More of a warning? I haven't seen any warning!

Open Beta should be considered a warning in name, you should expect to see issues like this, you shouldn't mod your install, you should report any issues you have, its a test environment, I know its made worse by some of the top servers running Open Beta, but it doesn't change the fact that this is a testing version and should be treated as such, and to expect hiccups like this.

Open Beta goes through struggles in the hopes we don't pass those struggles to Stable.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 10-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #14
LeCuvier

@NineLine: your statement suggests that we should not expect improvement.
I will therefore heed the "warning in name" and stay out of OB, except for flying the F/A-18 when there is new functionality.
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5
LeCuvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:11 PM   #15
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCuvier View Post
@NineLine: your statement suggests that we should not expect improvement.
I will therefore heed the "warning in name" and stay out of OB, except for flying the F/A-18 when there is new functionality.
It's not really about improvement, ED is a smallish development studio, and the sim is growing in leaps and bounds, Open Beta is offered for a wider testing sample in order to keep these issues out of Stable as much as possible.

That said, its not for everyone, so in some cases, it is best to avoid Open Beta. You have to be ok with testing, troubleshooting and reporting issues.
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 10-18-2018, 12:07 AM   #16
Silversmith

Flippin'Ek. After My binds were fixed yesterday, (I posted in this thread to say Hooray.. now working) . Today first time I ran DCS F18 they were TRASHED again. Hadn't touched anything since I flew yesterday. So I loaded the previously saved good profile that worked yesterday from the controls screen and again NO EFFECT, still trashed. Seems that DCS is randomly loading/not loading controller profiles / randomly trashing profiles EVEN though there has been no update since it last worked ok. I fear I am going to have to ABANDON the DCS F18 for some weeks to allow (hopefully) things to get sorted out, I simply haven't got the time to manually reset all my binds every day, and without working binds its is UNFLYABLE. Extra info.

EXTRA INFO
I notice that TODAY when the problem re-occurred that the ORDER the devices appear in the columns on the Controls screen has changed,
Yesterday the order was
KEYBOARD
THROTTLE THRUSRMASTER WARTHOG
JOYSTICK THRUSTMASTER WARTHOG
RUDDER (hex device address)
MOUSE

Today the order of the columns has changed on the controls screen to
KEYBOARD
JOYSTICK THRUSTMASTER WARTHOG
THROTTLE THRUSRMASTER WARTHOG
RUDDER (hex device address)
MOUSE

and many of the bindings from yesterday, which worked, have vanished/are wrong today.
No devices were replugged (for the Thrustmaster setup each controller is a distinct USB device), but the PC was rebooted overnight.
Could it be that DCS is mapping actual windows devices to 'controller roles' in the bindings based on the device ADDRESS (which of course can vary with every boot, windows loves indirection) rather than to the device NAME in Windows?

I have also noticed that the OPEN BETA and the RELEASE version of DCS show the devices in a different column order on the controls screen

Last edited by Silversmith; 10-18-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Silversmith is offline   Reply With Quote