How to Takeoff in the Dora

SimFreak

Hi,

:D Title : Digital Combat Simulator Black Shark 08 11 2014 16 36 32 05 DVR

:D:D : showing P51

Was a little confused by that also. Was expecting a Dora in a Dora thread. :huh:

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

I dont know if this will help anyone but I find I have better control with it.I use Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals and then I short calibrate them so that I only use %30 percent of the pedals actual travle.This is easily done in the software.Then I use my toes only to press the pedals.This coupled with some curve tweaks and I feel more control then moving unfeeling paddles thru a huge amount of travel.Give this a try as you may like it more and get better control.

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle

I couldn't agree more. People keep saying "post a track" Well....there are dozens of tracks out there of people having the same issues I'm having. The wheel does not lock when I pull back on the stick. And the plane pulls unbelievably to the left. And when you correct....it bounces all over the runway. This plane is ridiculously hard to take off in. I'm figuring that if I were actually a P-51 pilot, taking off in the Dora would not end in tragedy after 4 hours of trying. The difference in the planes should be negligible.

IMO: DCS really needs to address this. I don't even use the Dora. I can't stand it.

I know that many of you are not having issues but there are obviously problems because so many folks are still struggling after all of this time. It must be something with the way certain systems are set up. But unless it becomes easier....I'm scrapping this module.

I have never come across someone who steadfastly refuses help to the extent that you do. Yes, you do need to post a track: Without it, your submissions are just moans and moans start to get pretty damn old after hearing them repeated for more than a couple of times.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I couldn't agree more. People keep saying "post a track" Well....there are dozens of tracks out there of people having the same issues I'm having. The wheel does not lock when I pull back on the stick. And the plane pulls unbelievably to the left.

They asked for your track because in it, you're the one flying. What you wrote there is like asking me to go to the doctor instead of you for coughing. I may cough to call a bullshit while you might have asthma. Who knows. Yeah the same issue could have been caused by several different things. Resurfacing the break rotors took care of the squeaks on my car but doesn't mean it will for yours. So for you, the tail wheel doesn't lock even when you pull back the stick to its limit? Well, mine does lock but I still had trouble taking off. Would my tracks have solved your problem?

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

This works for me.

Stick full back.

Smooth progressive Power application

Maybe a tiny bit of right aileron.

Small smoooooooth rudder inputs to track the centreline

Relax back pressure on the stick around 130Kmh.

Aircraft will lift off around 180kmh.

Dont rush things think small and above all smooth inputs.

Ivank_D9TO..trk

Begs repeating for those new to this thread that may have missed the Luftwaffe pilot advice:

1 - Step on Brakes

2 - Full Throttle

3 - Release brakes

Tap-Dance the rudder to keep her honest and you're good to go. Works remarkably well :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

The wheel does not lock when I pull back on the stick.

I hope you know that tailwheel can be locked only when it is centered? If it is swiveled and you pull back the stick, it will continue to swivel until it passes center position and gets locked there. This is very important: once you make a turn (taxiway to runway), you have to roll straight a bit before stopping, if you want centered and locked tailwheel before take off.

I'm figuring that if I were actually a P-51 pilot, taking off in the Dora would not end in tragedy after 4 hours of trying. The difference in the planes should be negligible.

Dora has lockable, but not steerable tailwheel, P51 has a tailwheel which can be steered with pedals once it is locked. Difference is huge.

P51 has nice directional control with tail down at various speeds: you just have to push pedals, and rudder + tailwheel will work together complementing each other. The nicest thing is that tailwheel can be (intentionally) swiveled and roll in accordance where the tail must go.

If we exclude brakes, Dora only has rudder for true directional control, and locked tailwheel only as aid for keeping aircraft straight. The worst thing is tailwheel acting like skid once it is locked. If you need to change direction (i.e. your aircraft is heading towards the side of the runway), locked tailwheel will resist until friction is defeated and tailwheel begins to skid, and once it skids it will look like it is not locked anymore - the beginning of scary things. :pilotfly:

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

This is really difficult. My success rate in getting airborne in one piece is maybe 10%. Was it really soooo difficult to lift the plane? :(

If it is historical, then please stick with it, but AFAIK the FW190 was known for its easy (compared to the Me109) take-offs and landings.

It was designed to take-off from front-line fields without proper runways...

Begs repeating for those new to this thread that may have missed the Luftwaffe pilot advice:

1 - Step on Brakes

2 - Full Throttle

3 - Release brakes

Tap-Dance the rudder to keep her honest and you're good to go. Works remarkably well :)

This works.

Although I prefer to go to about 3k rpm rather than full throttle, and I find applying a bit of right rudder when you release the brakes and then decreasing as you speed up tends to result in smoother take offs.

I'm using a twist joystick though, so it's probably unncessary if you've got pedals.

This is really difficult. My success rate in getting airborne in one piece is maybe 10%. Was it really soooo difficult to lift the plane? :(

If it is historical, then please stick with it, but AFAIK the FW190 was known for its easy (compared to the Me109) take-offs and landings.

It was designed to take-off from front-line fields without proper runways...

I had this issue before, but I finally found out how takeoff without crashing:

1) Make sure that you pull your stick towards you to lock the tailwheel. Usually, with other planes, I pull it only slightly. But with the Dora, I really need to stick it in my (virtual) belly. You'll find yourself going much more straight than you were before.

2) Release stick pressure (center the stick) once you reach 170 km/h. Your aft wheel will begin to rise and you'll start having good rudder authority.

1 - Step on Brakes

2 - Full Throttle

3 - Release brakes

Pretty much the way I've been recommending it along with slowing dropping the stick in the 150-170km range. You can keep tap dancing the rudder until about 200 km and it should lift off. Setup a quick start mission with a runway start so you don't have to keep doing the startup sequence and keep trying till you get it. I don't recommend practicing on online servers until you get the hang of it because of lag.

For me this Dora takeoff is shitty, not fun...

i don't have time to learn the proper Dora takeoff, it would take me a week and that's too long for me

with P-51 I take off without any problem

Does take off assistance work on multiplayer?

Edited by =Bobby=

People having troubles taking off are obviously doing something wrong.

There's no use to blame the aircraft. After some practice I can easly take off in the Dora (short field, soft field take off etc...)

I think applying full throttle right away is a dangerous business, and I can't find where it has been said by Luftwaffe pilots. May be someone can find that...

But full throttle while not having full rudder authority ?.. hummm

As someone advised earlier, you have to be very smooth with the controls (rudders and smoothly release the back pressure on the stick)

Take-off: Graduated (full throttle approach with rudder tap dance and a little right brake at first roll)

Landing: Pending (still in school)

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Full throttle works beautifully for me :P

.....me too:thumbup:.....apply brakes and throttle up full until the nose starts to dip down then off the brakes and light rudder input till i start to feel her lift then stick forward to level out as quick as possible (no auto rudder no assist)

http://youtu.be/_2kyXw9EHp4

Edited by TwilightZone

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

27% for the moment but i will bring that down a bit later.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

My takeoffs were initially very bad (worse than P-51) with the Dora until I realized that when I assigned each toe brake axis for my Saitek pedals, the axis for both was inverted for some reason. Meaning that the brakes would apply when I was not applying them on the pedals, but when I applied a toe brake on the controller that specific brake would release in the sim instead (or both would release when I attempted to apply them both).

I've been doing takeoff from runway and not taxiing, which is why I didn't pick up on it for a bit. It drove me nuts, I kept wondering why the aircraft would go in the opposite direction I intended, and sometimes I ended up doing donuts on the runway thanks to the confusion. Good thing I didn't hop on the DoW server yet lol. I finally noticed the problem when I happened to spot how the brakes/pedals in the virtual cockpit would respond. I don't recall this happening with my axis assignment with the P-51. Once I went into the axis tune and inverted them, I was able to have normal brake application. I still keep crashing and burning at the moment on takeoff, but I'm at least making it much further down the runway than I did previously.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

..dead zone 0, saturation x 100%, saturation y 100% and curvature 12%......was at 18% but that was a bit too sluggish so moved it down....also did have my tension for the pedals way to tight.....they were not going back to center correctly which caused most of the problems for me for takeoff early on......anyway works great now that i took the tension off:)

20140818_160834.thumb.jpg.131bd524335639be2147e40a46aa7c58.jpg

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

This should be good :D

Bought the Dora today and got $15 off due to my bonus money left over from previous purchases.

In SP, the "Furball" mission, took off on the 3rd attempt with a stock setup, no curves using Options\Controls\Axis Tune. Dora does not like high torque power surges upon initial rollout. I hold the stick in my lap until sufficient speed to lift the tail off the runway and up she goes. I did use takeoff flaps. I taxi using left and right wheel brakes. Looking out the cockpit while taxiing is a bit of a pain; I use S-curves looking down the taxi-way. It takes off easier than the Mustang does. My controllers are CH Products. I made a dedicated .map profile for the Dora.

I thought I had set the Axis Tune to what I use for the Mustang earlier today, but I never entered those values. Kind of like taking a placebo headache pill and my headache went away.

I fly in full realism, no cheats checked-off under "Special" .

Then read the flight manual to learn how to turn on the gun.

Had a Mustang perfectly circled in my reticule and forgot to turn the gun on...

Nice effort by the creators of this module. Much appreciated, Thanks!

Now gonna' see how long I last flying sorties on the Dogs of War server. Why I purchased the Dora is because sometimes the P-51 slots get filled up. More slots are available using the Dora.

Cheers.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]