Newbie DCS 1.5 or 2 to fly A10 & Black Shark?

Echo001

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and first time on this forum. I've been watching the great videos on YouTube and thought wow! I got to get into this. So I purchased a cheap joystick, and then go stuck as to whether to download the DCS World 1.5 or 2.0 in order to fly the A10 and the Black Shark? I understand I would also need to purchase a terrain module too?

I think I need to download DCS 1.5, purchase a terrain module and purchase the A10?

I look forward to your advice.

• Like 1

v1.5 is the current release version. v2 is an Alpha Test version. Currently v2 does not support the normally included terrain but v1.5 does.

If you install v1.5 you will have terrain without a purchase needed. The Nevada terrain that is available for purchase is not compatible with v1.5 at this time.

Since you are new to the sim, I would highly recommend sticking with v1.5 to start with since v2 is a test version.

EDIT: Oh, and Welcome to the forum. :)

EDIT2: I should also point out, in case you missed it, that DCS World includes two free aircraft as well.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hey bud welcome to the wonderful world of DCS. For a start I'd say get to know the su25t first. It's a great starter aircraft and you can do lots with it. Then when your ready move onto flaming cliffs 3. It really good value for money and really fun. Then get into your clicky cockpit planes/helicopters. That's how I went and it seems to work for me

Hi FrazerNZL thanks for the welcome. Great minds think alike. I'm doing just that. Spent an hour replaying the Easy landing section, getting used to that HSI & ADI? so far I've managed to follow to waypoint 2 then the HUD goes to NOC and waypoint 17? which takes me to the airfield with no instructions to land. lol overshot the runway as I have no text on landing. Just winging it at the moment.

Spent an hour replaying the Easy landing section, getting used to that HSI & ADI? so far I've managed to follow to waypoint 2 then the HUD goes to NOC and waypoint 17? which takes me to the airfield with no instructions to land. lol overshot the runway as I have no text on landing. Just winging it at the moment.

After waypoint 2, your HUD switched to NOC (LNDG if using English in options) i.e. auto-switched to the Landing sub-mode.

17 is the airport ID for Mozdok

With the HSI Localizer and Glide Slope flags clear

• ADI and HSI give localizer/glide slope guidance.

With HSI Localizer and Glide Slope flags showing

• ADI and HSI guide to the airfield (PRMG/TACAN) and landing path.

Some links

WIP localizer/glide slope diagram

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2483972&postcount=32

DCS World Su-25T operation: A Beginner's tips for beginners.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=110779

SU-25T checklist

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=144219

DCS: SU-25T Complete English Cockpit Mod

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/722567/

Tutorial Series by Robert Sogomonian

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and first time on this forum. I've been watching the great videos on YouTube and thought wow! I got to get into this.

Howzitgoin' man! What you just described is basically how most of us got into DCS World. Welcome to the habit-forming hobby of combat flight simulation! :)

FrazerNZL's advice was just about perfect--start with DCS 1.5 because it's a stable release, and it's also a more realistic 'theatre of war' (combat area). DCS 2.0 is only Nevada and it's a USA military training area, not much going on, but it has really nice scenery.

The free Su-25T is a great place to start, it'll get you flying, learning about the different weapons, and attacking ground targets. Get FC3 next because it has fighter jets in it and you'll be able to dogfight, which as far as I'm concerned, is the 'meat' of a good combat flight sim. FC3 aircraft also have simplified systems models like the free Su-25T, which means you won't have to spend 6 months of your life memorizing a zillion keys and trying to figure out what a rat's nest of buttons, switches and dials are for. FC3 has the F-15 and Su-27 Flanker in it, both have detailed flight models and are a blast to fly.

After FC3, I really recommend getting hold of at least one of the WW2 propeller driven fighters. They have very detailed systems models, but because they're older machines they don't have a zillion buttons and switches to sort out. They require more finesse to fly and are good fun without too much hassle, depending on how you look at it.

When you're ready to punish yourself, get the A-10C or Ka-50 module (or both). They are full-fidelity simulations with pretty much every cockpit control modelled in extreme detail. The array of switches, dials and other cockpit controls will blow your mind. They take a long time to learn and are both very satisfying and very frustrating to learn. I've flown both for years, and suck at both. :)

Again, welcome to the community and hope you have fun!

Just curious, what computer gear are you using? (CPU, RAM, video card etc.)

Peace and happy warfare

Ian

• Like 1

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!