Mustang after 2.2.

Solty

Should work trough liveries, but requires the description.lua to get a bit of info. I have yet to find out how to get the correct material names to use. Anybody know?
I can try. Can't get to my computer for 8 hours though. I'll try to to remember to have a look.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is no way I can get this SOB to work via custom cockpits... I even tried brute forcing the layer number. :doh:

I put the description.lua in the spoiler below. (doesnt work)

livery =

{

{"pilot_P51_kneeboard",0,"mfd3",true};

{"p51d-mirror",0,"mirrors",true};--mirrors texture replacement with runtime rendered one

{"p51d-cpt_glass_refl",0,"p51d-cpt_glass_refl",false};

}

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

Had a little dabble with it, and it now passes IC check.

Reduced canopy reflections, a lot. Still some there, but is very little, and I gave the reflections a blur pass, so the details arent so 'pixelated'.

Attached .rar file has the file structure to just copy in there.

..\DCS World 2 OpenAlpha\Mods\aircraft\P-51D\Liveries\Cockpit_P-51D\default

- in that 'default' folder, that is where the two files (.dds and .lua) should end up.

Mustang Canopy.rar

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

There still isn't any sparks of magnesium burning when you hit an aircraft. :/. Also you mentioned the tracers still aren't prominent enough too. My gunnery skills are rather poor and it doesn't help if I have no indication of hitting my target.

However I can now one pass a Bf-109 at 100-200m, anything beyond that the .50 cals become peashooters.

The AI have also changed, the friendly P-51 in the instant action dogfight now announces every time he's been hit, lol. The Bf-109 now breaks off if I'm targeting him while he's targeting my friend. I think they changed the sound effects for the Bf-109 too. I had made a head-on pass with a Bf-109 and the 30mm sounded like pops of thunder flying pass my canopy. Terrifying sound to complement the terrific firepower of the Bf-109.

Edited by DSR_T-800

There still isn't any sparks of magnesium burning when you hit an aircraft. :/. Also you mentioned the tracers still aren't prominent enough too. My gunnery skills are rather poor and it doesn't help if I have no indication of hitting my target.

However I can now one pass a Bf-109 at 100-200m, anything beyond that the .50 cals become peashooters.

The AI have also changed, the friendly P-51 in the instant action dogfight now announces every time he's been hit, lol. The Bf-109 now breaks off if I'm targeting him while he's targeting my friend. I think they changed the sound effects for the Bf-109 too. I had made a head-on pass with a Bf-109 and the 30mm sounded like pops of thunder flying pass my canopy. Terrifying sound to complement the terrific firepower of the Bf-109.

The tracers are apparently only visible with deferred shading enabled, I posted a few shots earlier to see if there was a confusion about that, to know if that was normal but got no reply so I assume it's WIP (but then most people don't read the posts above theirs so it's hard to tell).

Regarding the hit sparks and damage model, I hope we'll converge towards something similar to BoS. For WWII environment it's a treat for visual and structural damage in combat and with collisions (in DCS the aircraft just explodes when hitting a tree, for example). :)

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

I'd love to have these sparks ingame.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The tracers are apparently only visible with deferred shading enabled, I posted a few shots earlier to see if there was a confusion about that, to know if that was normal but got no reply so I assume it's WIP (but then most people don't read the posts above theirs so it's hard to tell).

Regarding the hit sparks and damage model, I hope we'll converge towards something similar to BoS. For WWII environment it's a treat for visual and structural damage in combat and with collisions (in DCS the aircraft just explodes when hitting a tree, for example). :)

Yeah, I just took a look after reading this. I'm going to check it out right now too in game.

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah we're definitely moving in that direction, but I feel DCS is actually stepping more in line with reality

attachment.php?attachmentid=174073&d=1513067968

The tracers and bullet streaks are quite reminiscent to the youtube video I posted below. Where as IL2 looks like 6 laser cannons from the X-Wing and there are now streaks of smoke.

DCS is always just a matter of time. :P.

I'd love to have these sparks ingame.

This is a pretty good video showing the sparks we all desire.

Visual gore is nearly as important as a proper damage model. How am I supposed to know if I've damaged my target or even hit for that matter if there are no visual effects?

• 2 weeks later...

All I can say is: I loves my prop wash back in the Stang!!!! Thanks for that one ED. I love the new engine sounds, new gun sounds, and the overall improvements.

Sith.....I hate to differ on this so I'll just downgrade the God aweful to just plain terrible. When I'm looking at my ground targets (especially the ones shooting at me) and everything turns black for several seconds because of the canopy, it's pretty terrible. I do see the effect they're going for and to it's merit, it would be pretty cool if they perfected it. But you said it's being looked into so I'm cool with it.

Everything else is great!

Thanks a lot ED. Can't wait till the 18th or whatever.

• 6 months later...

Blinding Glare

Am I the only one still getting blinding glare in the cockpit? BTW Oculus Rift CV1.

attachment.php?attachmentid=188981&stc=1&d=1530611350

Honestly, in game, when you're trying to hold a bead on an enemy a/c it seems worse than this screenshot.

Screen_180703_110458.thumb.png.8daee8054ba2c056666021f1ee628fc2.png

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Not the only one for sure. Pre-baked reflections are a curse of the 2.5.xx, and combined with messed up way the PBR works, as discussed here...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=207577

... they do make spotting more difficult. Mustang is amongst the most affected modules.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I have to correct you on one point, in VR it doesn't make it more difficult, it makes it -literally- practically impossible.

In VR the detail of a lot of things (especially with distinct edges) have their edges shimmer or fade in and out constantly, depending on lighting. Maybe if I turned MSAA up to x8 or x16... but ... I'm in.. VR...

In the mission from my illustration I have lots of opportunities to observer enemy a/c (FW-190's) strafing an airfield. Since the airfield is protected by flak, after their initial attack, they climb to 7400 feet before starting the next attack. So while I'm climbing to get up to at least 7000 feet to be on parity with energy I'm following these a/c visually. As long as they are above the horizon, I'm fine. But as soon as they are silhouetted not by the sky, but by the ground, even though I'm zoomed in on them, as soon as one crosses woods, or bocage, *fwupp* gone. The camo-green with indistinct edges which fade in and out, over light and dark green landscape passing by quickly, and almost immediately, I cannot recognize the a/c anymore.

Now look at my illustration. It's the exact same affect here too.

Why the f*ing hell is the dome of the sky going black?!?!!! as if I'm climbing up into the stratosphere at over 80,000 feet? I'm under 1500 feet!!

The dark silhouette of an a/c fading into the blackness of the background of this stupid glare, and then the image of the glare itself jigging around across my field of view... no recognition, and objects in view are almost immediately lost :mad:

If this were the way reflections worked, 90% of the worlds population where there are cars would be dead from blinded drivers killing everyone!

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I have to correct you on one point, in VR it doesn't make it more difficult, it makes it -literally- practically impossible.

In VR the detail of a lot of things (especially with distinct edges) have their edges shimmer or fade in and out constantly, depending on lighting. Maybe if I turned MSAA up to x8 or x16... but ... I'm in.. VR...

In the mission from my illustration I have lots of opportunities to observer enemy a/c (FW-190's) strafing an airfield. Since the airfield is protected by flak, after their initial attack, they climb to 7400 feet before starting the next attack. So while I'm climbing to get up to at least 7000 feet to be on parity with energy I'm following these a/c visually. As long as they are above the horizon, I'm fine. But as soon as they are silhouetted not by the sky, but by the ground, even though I'm zoomed in on them, as soon as one crosses woods, or bocage, *fwupp* gone. The camo-green with indistinct edges which fade in and out, over light and dark green landscape passing by quickly, and almost immediately, I cannot recognize the a/c anymore.

Now look at my illustration. It's the exact same affect here too.

Why the f*ing hell is the dome of the sky going black?!?!!! as if I'm climbing up into the stratosphere at over 80,000 feet? I'm under 1500 feet!!

The dark silhouette of an a/c fading into the blackness of the background of this stupid glare, and then the image of the glare itself jigging around across my field of view... no recognition, and objects in view are almost immediately lost :mad:

If this were the way reflections worked, 90% of the worlds population where there are cars would be dead from blinded drivers killing everyone!

What are your settings in VR? I run VR as well and absolutely hate those stupid f&$king stickers on the canopy (there not reflections). I suffered bad from planes melting into the blue sky for awhile until I turned my gama back up making the sky lighter. This helped a lot but at the sacrifice of the sim not looking as good but tolerable. I use a 1.8 gama currently with no AA at all, 1.5 PD and 8x AF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• ED Team

Give me tracks or videos at least. I know I know its easy to create one my own, but it's easier to follow a track and see exactly what you saw, it also gives me more firepower to enact change. Also, as the Spitfire was used as an example, I showed the video to Nick Grey, and we was pretty happy with it, that it matched what he sees in the real thing. Obviously his reflections were live real ones, but our computers only can take so much, so we have less than dynamic reflections. I think though that reflections in the real cockpit can be blinding and troublesome, even in a real cockpit, especially in a 1940ish cockpit.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Mustang after 2.2.

Give me tracks or videos at least. I know I know its easy to create one my own, but it's easier to follow a track and see exactly what you saw, it also gives me more firepower to enact change. Also, as the Spitfire was used as an example, I showed the video to Nick Grey, and we was pretty happy with it, that it matched what he sees in the real thing. Obviously his reflections were live real ones, but our computers only can take so much, so we have less than dynamic reflections. I think though that reflections in the real cockpit can be blinding and troublesome, even in a real cockpit, especially in a 1940ish cockpit.

While I agree with the blinding reflections at times in real life, I don’t agree with the reflection approach in general. I fly for a living and I’ve experimented with this multiple times. There are shadows and reflections as well as dirt and scratches. I agree with all that! However, in real life our eyes look through it and focus beyond the reflections therefore we never really see them. We actually have to look and focus our eyes on the reflection to actually view them. In the sim we don’t have this biomechanics working for us. If there in the view then there in the view, we can’t change focus and look through or beyond them. It’s like trying to look through an opacity wall. In general I wouldn’t want the reflections removed but at least the inside interior reflections toned down. They look less like reflections and more like large stickers plastered on the canopy.

Edited by Campbell

*ugh* I think I got carried away :P The track I created is 15+ mb, and too large to upload, bc it's 45 minutes of flying :doh: so I'm uploading it to WeTransfere: https://we.tl/QiEK4bKMXe

I also made a video capture of the entire flight, but it's also about 45 minutes of video, and it will take hours to upload all of it to YT. It is split into 10 segments automatically by Action!, but still each segment will take over an hour to upload, bc YT is just that slow.

I'll post a link here to the first video when its upload is complete, and if you want more, just let me know.

EDIT:

Nmdy WWII Glare Test 01.miz

Edited by Captain Orso

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

What are your settings in VR? I run VR as well and absolutely hate those stupid f&$king stickers on the canopy (there not reflections). I suffered bad from planes melting into the blue sky for awhile until I turned my gama back up making the sky lighter. This helped a lot but at the sacrifice of the sim not looking as good but tolerable. I use a 1.8 gama currently with no AA at all, 1.5 PD and 8x AF.

Settings... lets see

Textures: Medium

Terrain Textures: High

Civ. Traffic: Low

Visib. Range: High

Heat Blur: Off

Shadows: Medium

Res. of Cockput Displays: 1024 Every Frame

MSAA: 4x

Depth of Field: Off

Lens Effect: None

Motion Blur: Off

SSAA: Off

Clutter/Grass: 750 (slider in the middle)

Trees Visibility: 100%

Preload Radius: 10,000

Chimney Smoke Density: 0

Gamma: 1.6

Anisotropic Filtering: 2x

Terrain Object Shadows: Flat

Cockpit Global Illumination: Off

Rain Droplets: On

Disable Aero Interface: [x]

Vsync: [_]

Full Screen: [x]

Scale Gui: [_]

VR

Enable Virtual Reality Headset: [x]

Pixel Density: 1.0

Use Mouse: [x]

Cursor Confined to Game Window: [x]

Use Hand Controllers: [x] -- Must have slipped in at some time, because I don't recall setting this, and I don't actually use them in DCS.

Force IPD Distance: [_] 63.5 -- I actually use 64 according to Oculus

Use Built-In Audio Device: [x]

From my experience, with my graphics card, MSAA produces a better results for less GPU load.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Since we're talking about fixed layer of fake reflections added to the windscreen and gunsigh textures, coupled with aforememntioned 2.5.x PBR shenanigans, gfx settings and hardware are irrelevant, as the same effect will happen on both VR and flat screen. Playing with gamma might help a little bit, but it's not a long term solution.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Settings... lets see

Textures: Medium

Terrain Textures: High

Civ. Traffic: Low

Visib. Range: High

Heat Blur: Off

Shadows: Medium

Res. of Cockput Displays: 1024 Every Frame

MSAA: 4x

Depth of Field: Off

Lens Effect: None

Motion Blur: Off

SSAA: Off

Clutter/Grass: 750 (slider in the middle)

Trees Visibility: 100%

Preload Radius: 10,000

Chimney Smoke Density: 0

Gamma: 1.6

Anisotropic Filtering: 2x

Terrain Object Shadows: Flat

Cockpit Global Illumination: Off

Rain Droplets: On

Disable Aero Interface: [x]

Vsync: [_]

Full Screen: [x]

Scale Gui: [_]

VR

Enable Virtual Reality Headset: [x]

Pixel Density: 1.0

Use Mouse: [x]

Cursor Confined to Game Window: [x]

Use Hand Controllers: [x] -- Must have slipped in at some time, because I don't recall setting this, and I don't actually use them in DCS.

Force IPD Distance: [_] 63.5 -- I actually use 64 according to Oculus

Use Built-In Audio Device: [x]

From my experience, with my graphics card, MSAA produces a better results for less GPU load.

All I can recommend based on your settings is to drop the MSAA to 0 and bump your PD up to 1.4-1.5, this will give objects more pixels making them easier to spot and track. Experiment with it and see what it does for you. By changing the PD I ended up with about the same performance and nearly the same visuals but with better spotting.

That's not true. PD only temporarily renders at a higher resolution. Once each frame is rendered, it must be resized to fit the display settings, or in this case, the display itself.

As I stated, "from my experience, with my graphics card, MSAA produces a better results for less GPU load". With even moderate PD (1.4 - 1.6) I was getting micro stuttering. With MSAA I'm not, plus I feel the rendered picture is clearer, especially cockpit instruments.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

That's not true. PD only temporarily renders at a higher resolution. Once each frame is rendered, it must be resized to fit the display settings, or in this case, the display itself.

As I stated, "from my experience, with my graphics card, MSAA produces a better results for less GPU load". With even moderate PD (1.4 - 1.6) I was getting micro stuttering. With MSAA I'm not, plus I feel the rendered picture is clearer, especially cockpit instruments.

Ok

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170126

Yes, I know that thread. Unfortunately Derek does a poor job of explaining what '"upscale" your device's resolution' means, because, as he stated, a CV1 has native resolution of 2160x1200, which means the HMD physically has that many pixels with which to display an image. This value can NOT be change. It's the physical pixels of the device, the same as a full HD monitor has 1920 x 1080 pixels.

You can however render images to a larger than 2160x1200 scale by changing the PD. As in his example with PD 1.5 you are rendering 2160*1.5 x 1200*1.5, so the frames being rendered are 3240 x 1800. This is what Oculus calls Supersampling. PD and SS are synonymous.

But how do you display 3240 x 1800 pixels on a device with only 2160 x 1200 physical pixels? By resizing, or down sampling the image. This process--and there are many methods of dong this--causes a kind of anti-aliasing with similar results as using a graphics cards anti-aliasing functions on a native resolution frame; similar, but not identical.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

VR canopy for DCS P-51D

About the reflections.

I made a mod to help visibility for P-51 pilot in VR.

Started out with KnockKnock's fine mod that he has posted on this thread, but ended up making everything from scratch (except the description.lua, i only added 1 line to it).

Still a BIG thanks to KnockKnock for his work and epecially for the descirpion.lua he was able to create somehow (i'd really like to know how! pm me if you read this?).

This mod has modified both the "reflections" and the canopy tint as they together are the visibility breaker. the tint increases the reflection saturation so i had to modify that file aswell.

This mod does not remove the tint or reflections completely!

The canopy- and the (darker) windshield- and (even darker) hud tint are still there not to "break" historical or RL correctness, just little bit less to help see planes against ground better in VR.

The reflections are there aswell, but they require exposure to sunlight in certain agle to be really visible. still i see them well enough in VR to help me stay coodinated when looking up, but without any distraction from them.

Mustang VR Canopy:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wdj2z037s...anopy.zip?dl=0

JSGME compatible (after zip extraction) and IC check passable. remember to select the mod from "custom cockpit" option in DCS settings!

PS. i use PD 1.3 so the mod is tested only with that amount of PD to look "right".

Edit: I noticed that i had uploaded wrong refection file in the mod. new mod with 2 canopy tint options and 3 reflections is in the above link.

hopefully everyone can make reclections that feels ok to them with this mod. sorry about the hassle.

Edited by voodooman

I'm tired of arguing what I think is wrong with the way, not only the reflections work, but also the weird discolorations in the sky. I found a Real-Life™ example of what it looks like from inside the cockpit of a P-51D flying in partly cloudy skies--very often with the sun shining right into the cockpit. This is what I expect it to look like when flying the DCS P-51D:

Please show me evidence, that this video is incorrect.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

• ED Team

I asked Mr Grey about the Spitfire, where similar concerns were brought up, and he was quite happy with how it looked, when next I have his ear, I will ask him about the P-51, but we may get the same answer. He sits in these birds on a regular basis, so I am gonna go with that 9 times out of 10.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

well put him to sit in our DCS pits all day long, on a regular basis, and ask how it looks/feel.

to think that you can replicate glare and refletions on a glass with computer graphics, is a tall order. (with current posibilities that is)

i get very bad eyestrain in vr from the original reflections and glare. cant fly more than 30 minutes before my eyes start to water because of this fake glare and tint. dont have them problems in the real pits do they? or should i consider buying aviator ray bans to put them inside my rift?

Edited by voodooman