VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

AMVI_Rider

VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support  

169 members have voted

1. 1. VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

• Yes
    • No

I'm going slightly on the edge of this topic, but since you asked about Oculus, XP and VRK:

X-Plane.png

I have two outstanding problems: one causing the sim to freeze and another just a little annoying, but the most is working.

Edited by AMVI_Rider

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S

2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green

Awesome tool, AMVI_Rider! Had to buy a Wacom tablet just for this :)

Working great so far :thumbup: I have a few issues with assigning buttons but I'll test a bit more and report back.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Awesome tool, AMVI_Rider! Had to buy a Wacom tablet just for this :)

Working great so far :thumbup: I have a few issues with assigning buttons but I'll test a bit more and report back.

Just checking... you did join the discord and run your rift s it with the newest VRK Release Candidate to run it witout SteamVR, right? :music_whistling:

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Just checking... you did join the discord and run your rift s it with the newest VRK Release Candidate to run it witout SteamVR, right? :music_whistling:

Ah, there is a Discord, great - I missed that somehow. Thanks for telling!

And sorry, I have not updated my sig. I'm using a HP Reverb now.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

I have a problem with "book marks". Every time when I touch "add bookmark" with my pen, It adds 20 same book marks and I have to delete 19 book marks.

Any setting solution, that a touch only add 1 book mark? I have a Huion H1060P...special drivers from VRK Tool.

Greets...

I have a problem with "book marks". Every time when I touch "add bookmark" with my pen, It adds 20 same book marks and I have to delete 19 book marks.

Any setting solution, that a touch only add 1 book mark? I have a Huion H1060P...special drivers from VRK Tool.

Greets...

It was happening in the very first versions, but I fixed it long time ago ... It may be a regression. I will test it tonight as soon as I get home!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

Greets...

I don't know why, but the problem is gone? The last few times it worked as it should. I just want let you know...

Greets...

Have you changed anything on the system? Did you upgrade VRK?

The code to emulate clicks with the pen time hasn't change since very long time. Now I have a change to be tested which should improve this behavior.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Shouldn't. It's a long shot, but it may be due to some "configuration" stored in the tablet which has been erased when you disconnected the USB...

Anyway, so far so good.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Version 1.2.3.05 is out

Most important news is the official release of the Oculus native support!

This and other features required a deep rework of some common parts and some bugs may arise also for SteamVR users, so, please let me know if something is broken.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Stoopid question, figure it would be best to ask here. So I'm an Oculus user, and I stream. I like the idea of the kneeboard being seen on the screen. With the Oculus support, I don't see a way to add the VRK to the stream. So my question, is OpenVR the only plugin for OBS which uses SteamVR the solution? Or is there something for Oculus users that I haven't stumbled across yet?

Sorry for an off topic post, but I think someone may know in this thread.

Have a happy New Year all!

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

You can User Oculus Mirror which is the equivalent of the SteamVR mirroring function. You can find it in:

C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusMirror.exe

Frankly I don't know why they are confining this tool in the "dignostic" domain.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

I have problem with app starting. Below is my log.

I have PC with Win 10.

After first installation and run, app worked correct. The problem started, when I tried set keyboard shortcuts. I tried bind key with two modifiers (Yes, I readed manual). When I clicked OK, application was crashed. From this moment i have this problem.

Reinstallation doesn't help. What should I do?

Sorry for my language :)

2020-01-02 18:38:24,758 [1] INFO VRKneeboard.App - Application Startup: 1.2.3.5

2020-01-02 18:38:24,991 [1] INFO VRKneeboardLib.UcLogicDevice - Custom driver

2020-01-02 18:38:25,001 [1] ERROR WintabDN.CWintabInfo - FAILED IsWintabAvailable: System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'Wintab32.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

at WintabDN.CWintabFuncs.WTInfoA(UInt32 wCategory_I, UInt32 nIndex_I, IntPtr lpOutput_O)

at WintabDN.CWintabInfo.IsWintabAvailable()

2020-01-02 18:38:25,079 [1] ERROR VRKneeboard.App - System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException: The invocation of the constructor on type „VRKneeboard.MainWindow” that matches the specified binding constraints threw an exception. ---> System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Add(TKey key, TValue value)

at VRKneeboard.MainWindow.UpdateConfig()

at VRKneeboard.MainWindow..ctor()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(XamlReader xamlReader, IXamlObjectWriterFactory writerFactory, Boolean skipJournaledProperties, Object rootObject, XamlObjectWriterSettings settings, Uri baseUri)

at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.LoadBaml(XamlReader xamlReader, Boolean skipJournaledProperties, Object rootObject, XamlAccessLevel accessLevel, Uri baseUri)

at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.LoadBaml(Stream stream, ParserContext parserContext, Object parent, Boolean closeStream)

at System.Windows.Application.LoadBamlStreamWithSyncInfo(Stream stream, ParserContext pc)

at System.Windows.Application.LoadComponent(Uri resourceLocator, Boolean bSkipJournaledProperties)

at System.Windows.Application.DoStartup()

at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(Object unused)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)

at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(Object obj)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)

at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)

at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)

at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)

at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)

at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)

at VRKneeboard.App.Main()

If you are using the "Reload last layout" just go to

C:\Users\<your_username>\VRK

and remove any .vrkl file you find.

Otherwise you have to clear the configuration in

C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\Local\Vrkneeboard\<whatever>\1.2.3.5\user.config

But please keep anything you remove so I can check what is happening later.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Where do I find your discord? :)

Where do I find your discord? :)

The link is in the Quick Start Guide.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Otherwise you have to clear the configuration in

C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\Local\Vrkneeboard\<whatever>\1.2.3.5\user.config

It worked. I cleaned value in:

setting name="InputConfig"

Unfortunately, I did not save the deleted value.

Unfortunately, I did not save the deleted value.

No worries, it's enough to point me in the right direction :thumbup:

I think I know what is causing the problem!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

A Request for Advice

Hey guys,

Just about grab a graphics tablet for use with the app - thought I’d ask a bit of advice from existing users before I make the final choice.

I’m pretty much leaning toward one of the Wacom units - mainly as I tend to see less reports of issues from these and they don’t require a custom driver.

Shortlist is:

Wacom Intuos S

Wacom Intuos M

Wacom One

Wacom Intuos S: This is the front runner as its overall size seems the best fit for a kneeboard. My only concern is the useable ‘drawing' space - Any users of this one out there that find the space a bit too small, and would sooner be using a larger tablet for this reason?

Wacom Intuos M: Same sort of question as above but reversed - Anyone finding the drawing space adequate, but the overall size too bulky? I have a custom rig/cockpit with throttle and other controls quite snug either side so spacing here is potential issue if it’s too bulky.

Wacom One: I know this doesn’t appear on the supported list, but any users out there that have tested/or using this model? The overall size and fact that the usable area covers a lot more of the surface seems like a win-win. Only potential rub is the lack of function buttons. How is it working with gestures in lieu of those controls? Easy, awkward, or not worth the compromise of losing dedicated hotkeys?

Also, not that I’m 100% sold on any of the above - if there are any other options that someone can highly recommend I’m all ears. My priorities are mainly good form factor that doesn't feel like an A4 clipboard strapped to my thigh and reliability/performance on the software side of things.

Thanks to all in advance, much appreciated,

Brick.

Edited by Fubarbrickdust

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

I’m pretty much leaning toward one of the Wacom units - mainly as I tend to see less reports of issues from these and they don’t require a custom driver.

Feeling of Wacoms is slightly superior, but Huion price is appealing and performance is at par.

"Issues" statistics are mostly at the same level, but it's almost always a matter of "being used to the device".

The custom driver is nothing dangerous. If you know the matter it is a WinUSB derivative and the binaries are provided and signed by MS.

Anyway, I don't want to push any choice ... it's just to avoid misconceptions.

Wacom Intuos S: This is the front runner as its overall size seems the best fit for a kneeboard. My only concern is the useable ‘drawing' space - Any users of this one out there that find the space a bit too small, and would sooner be using a larger tablet for this reason?

The usable space is why I left my Intuos S to workplace note taking (and WinTab debugging).

Wacom Intuos M: Same sort of question as above but reversed - Anyone finding the drawing space adequate, but the overall size too bulky? I have a custom rig/cockpit with throttle and other controls quite snug either side so spacing here is potential issue if it’s too bulky.

Never tried, but it got pretty good feedback. It seems the best choice. My suggestion is to try with a cardboard mock-up and see by yourself.

Wacom One: I know this doesn’t appear on the supported list, but any users out there that have tested/or using this model? The overall size and fact that the usable area covers a lot more of the surface seems like a win-win. Only potential rub is the lack of function buttons. How is it working with gestures in lieu of those controls? Easy, awkward, or not worth the compromise of losing dedicated hotkeys?

Function buttons are extremely useful and most of the time better than gestures. Moreover gestures don't cover the full set of functions performed by buttons. An alternative is combining the One and another controller.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

I have the Intuos S and enjoy it. Perfect size for my kneeboard that I have. I have it secured to the kneeboard via velcro, so I can remove it if the need arises. Regarding the smaller work area, I don't find my self searching for the sweet spot too often. I am aware of the issue, and have gotten accustomed to it.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP