Mirage Radar dropping tracks in multi-bar search mode.

Wheelyjoe

Mirage Radar instantly dropping tracks in multi-bar search mode.

Mirage radar seems to currently be affected by a bug whereby the radar display only shows contacts inside the bar that is currently being scanned. For example, if the radar is set to operate a four bar scan, and a contact is detected inside bar two of that scan, the contact will only display on the radar screen for the length of time that the radar takes to complete that bar. As soon as the radar moves to scan bar three, the contact instantly and completely fades from the display, and is picked up again the next time the radar scans through bar two.

To clarify, I have tested this with the "remanence" (memory) switch in both the R and the N positions, both providing the same result, and the instantaneous and consistent correlation between the radar moving to scan the next bar and the contact vanishing leads me to believe this is not a user error problem.

Thanks in advance.

That ain't it. The new radar shows the symbols when the target is at last bar. But this bug is that the contact is visible only the time it takes to sweep the bar. So about 2 seconds even when it is middle of the bar pattern (bars 2-3 in 4 bar scan).

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

same thing happened to me yesterday.

the symptoms are that radar contacts "blink".

they appear on the radar pass and disappear on the next bar scan.

I thought it was me doing something wrong but it appears that more people are encountering the same issue. I had already seen the video with the radar improvements to make it more realistic but yesterday's problem was very different.

I wonder if this is actually a bug? With memory on the contacts, then especially in close range and heavy maneuvering, this/these contacts would not be a very true representation, until the next sweep/update, and you could be trying to lock ghosts. At least with the current functionality, you always know what you get, and in close (where the party is at with this bird) when you have selected your target, you just go into narrow azimuth and 1 bar scan, and its not disappearing, plus you wont be chasing ghosts.

The almighty AWG-9 in the Tomcat has TWS restrictions. You wont get sufficient data in wide search pattern with 4-6 bars, you have to be in narrower search etc. Plus this RDI, how old is the one we are simulation? 1984 when fine tuned, but otherwise from late 70's? Its probably a quite limited unit, compared to what we have been used to. Plus its made for intercepts, so you would focus on a single or small group of contacts with narrow search and 1 bar probably.

Im not surprised if this is actually intended functionality. But Id admit, as a 'creative freedom' I would fade contacts out over say 2-3 seconds. So when a contact is updated its at its strongest and then it immediately starts fading out over set time etc. Maybe not as design function but perhaps to simulated after glow (is it a cathode tube actually?).

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Can confirm. Same problem here. Seems like contacts are only visible on the VTB during the scan of the bar where the target is in. Then the target disappears from the VTB during the subsequent scans of the other 3 bars (if 4 bar scan is selected).

Have not tested if setting a 1 bar scan makes the target always visible (as long as it is within that bar offc.). Anyone else tested this?

Also, selecting the memory function does not make any difference.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Confirmed!

In thrust we trust :thumbup:

Falls jemand Montags Abends Lust hat mit uns zusammen zu fliegen und Spass zu haben (Anfänger sind auch herzlich willkommen) kann gerne auf unserer Website: https://www.jg-frankonia.de vorbeischauen oder sich direkt bei uns im Discord melden: https://discord.gg/vHEJf3c

Eigene Server und viel Spass sind vorhanden :thumbup:

Because of that reason I'm only using 1-bar scan and I play with the antenna elevation up-down like mad. However, I'm observing another strange behavior - contact once within the 1-bar scan area jumps randomly in range (from 5 to 20nm) without me being able to track it. Switching to VS mode automatically established a solid lock on the bandit ... 4nm on my nose :/ I really hope for the radar will get some attention as the cockpit and other systems did :thumbup:

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Elwood clarified the Mirage radar on their Discord today:

Absolutly beverly contract disappear after each swipe. There is no buffer or memory, it's redrawing it.

Was shocked at first but it is. The locked contact is different. The real RDI as the Remebrance setting that can memorize one contact, the target, maybe lost.... but some pilots doesn't like it.

Mainly because the contact could be something else because already maneuvered.

So can be very dangerous con considering that contact data valid. Indeed the memorized contact is Yellow.

will check the video tonight. But let's clear it that each bar is a separate swipe. So if a contact is detected buy first bar but not the other he will appear only when the first bar is swiped again.

When you see a contact blinking means that is detected by two bars. Because they are overlapped by 0.5deg

Indeed when you have a bug 4bar picture is better to switch to 2 bars. Always.

On other hands having the radar at 4 bar has some good side effect in terms of enemy RWR.

Pilot love 4bars for low detection.

It generate very small signal, or better it spread around the emission so not good or enough for enemy detection.

But when you want to really track it without locking 2bar or TWS.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Wow OK. I stand corrected then I guess. It felt so odd, as this is not how it appears in any other aircraft in DCS.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Might be some other fix coming for the RDI , some already on the way for CC modes, but current implementation is very much how real one works. So, don't expect much. You need to learn to use it or jump on more modern fighter for more help from the software.

Please wait for coming manual and guide, then we can talk more about RDI without having to explain the whole system in chat or here.

P.s.

Maybe one day someone will release the module documentation before everything else.

If its like the real thing I for myself will be happy and deal with it. Simple :D

Thank you for the explanation :)

In thrust we trust :thumbup:

Falls jemand Montags Abends Lust hat mit uns zusammen zu fliegen und Spass zu haben (Anfänger sind auch herzlich willkommen) kann gerne auf unserer Website: https://www.jg-frankonia.de vorbeischauen oder sich direkt bei uns im Discord melden: https://discord.gg/vHEJf3c

Eigene Server und viel Spass sind vorhanden :thumbup:

Is this normal behavior?

Yes, it is now more realistic, to reduce the blinking you can reduce the number of bars and/or scan width.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4114151#post4114151

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080