VR IMPROVEMENTS

javipamp

How would you say the clarity of the oddesy + is relative to other headsets you've used. I know they use a 1200ppi figure due to the way the "blend" the pixels to get rid of the SDE, but I'm wondering what that does to clarity/scene resolution. I'm debating getting one later this year depending on when I get a better computer that or a Pimax. Till then my Rift works well enough.

I have used the Rift, Vive, Vive Pro, OG Odyssey. The odyssey+ is better than all of them. I have 0 screen door effect but can see the pixel texture if stare very hard at the sky, but that is a given with the current VR screen resolution limitations. I have a better picture out of the O+ than I did with the other headsets.

4Z0Oczz.jpg

cvw33nk.jpg

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used the Rift, Vive, Vive Pro, OG Odyssey. The odyssey+ is better than all of them. I have 0 screen door effect but can see the pixel texture if stare very hard at the sky, but that is a given with the current VR screen resolution limitations. I have a better picture out of the O+ than I did with the other headsets.

4Z0Oczz.jpg

cvw33nk.jpg

Are these through the lens photos of the HMD?

It sure looks like it's through the lens. Very nice shot at that. Hard to get through the lens pics.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

There are a number of horror stories going around in relation to the quality of the Pimax products atm. Personally I would avoid, I feel they are just trying to exploit the stage before the big boys come back with the next gen and wipe them out. Best avoided I think.

Any links to said horror stories? 95% of the feedback I’ve seen from those whom have received their units has been positive, at least from what I’ve read (which is quite a bit of reading).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Any links to said horror stories? 95% of the feedback I’ve seen from those whom have received their units has been positive, at least from what I’ve read (which is quite a bit of reading).

Ya, that sounds odd. Everything I have read or watched about the pimax 5k has been very positive. I haven't come across any negative reviews.

Tyriel (sp?) Woods on YouTube got a review unit that was DOA . Only instance I've heard of...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I`ve read about issues in relation to backers still not having their hmd`s etc. and a lot of promises unfulfilled. I just would not trust them myself and will wait for the new CV2 or main players to release the next gen products. As the saying goes “act in haste, repent at leisure”. In the end it`s up to people`s own choice whether to risk it or not.

Edit- Those picks from the SO+ look quiet good, I was very close to buying one during the Black Friday reduction.

Edited by Zoomer

VR IMPROVEMENTS

I`ve read about issues in relation to backers still not having their hmd`s etc. and a lot of promises unfulfilled. I just would not trust them myself and will wait for the new CV2 or main players to release the next gen products. As the saying goes “act in haste, repent at leisure”. In the end it`s up to people`s own choice whether to risk it or not.

Edit- Those picks from the SO+ look quiet good, I was very close to buying one during the Black Friday reduction.

Thanks for posting, I had seen that. I found it odd that he went out of his way to make a YouTube video before ever even contacting Pimax customer service.

That said, one broken Pimax and a bunch of production delays doesn’t really tie back to your original claim of “a number of quality issues with Pimax.” That’s one QC issue and a number of production issues.

Also, interesting read for you here: https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/apology-for-the-delays-with-kickstarter-campaign/12420

Delays in backers receiving units, despite greatly improved production rates, are due directly to a commitment to proper QA. They’ve ramped production staffing up and are struggling to do the same with the QA staff, but in order to maintain their standards, they are allowing it to be a bottleneck as they work to increase QA staffing. Pretty commendably in my opinion.

Not interested in an argument, I just think Pimax gets a bad rap in some cases when people misspeak.

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

4Z0Oczz.jpg

cvw33nk.jpg

Thats damn impressive. Doubly so on a 1070.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I have used the Rift, Vive, Vive Pro, OG Odyssey. The odyssey+ is better than all of them. I have 0 screen door effect but can see the pixel texture if stare very hard at the sky, but that is a given with the current VR screen resolution limitations. I have a better picture out of the O+ than I did with the other headsets. ]

Great pictures, thank you very much! What is your opinion of the tracking and comfort, then? I've heard the image quality is better, but does the Rift make up for what it lacks in image with comfort and tracking?

Great pictures, thank you very much! What is your opinion of the tracking and comfort, then? I've heard the image quality is better, but does the Rift make up for what it lacks in image with comfort and tracking?

This is my personal experience. I can't speak for others. So In DCS i get a weird blurriness or ghosting issuing. It's not when I move my head though (so I don't think it's a tracking issue) but happens when I roll or pitch the plane. It's not terrible but a slight annoyance. However, it's just DCS it does this in. I play IL2 and Warthunder in VR and I don't have that issue at all. This happened in the old Odyssey as wll as the new one

As for comfort, I would say it's about the same as the RIFT(maybe a little better). I had the Rift and the first Samsung Odyssey and the first Odyssey was very comfortable. I never thought the rift was very comfortable. The new Odyssey plus has taken a little time to get used to after using the older Odyssey(it was stupid comfortable :D ) Ther is different material on the new one and to me, it's was not quite as soft as the old one. It took time to break it in. It's pretty comfortable to me now. I have had it since the end of November.

But like I said, others may have a different experience. Hope that helps. :)

Edited by walleye62

This is my personal experience. I can't speak for others. So In DCS i get a weird blurriness or ghosting issuing. It's not when I move my head though (so I don't think it's a tracking issue) but happens when I roll or pitch the plane. It's not terrible but a slight annoyance. However, it's just DCS it does this in. I play IL2 and Warthunder in VR and I don't have that issue at all. This happened in the old Odyssey as wll as the new one

Almost certainly because you have Motion Smoothing (or ASW) switched off.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks for posting, I had seen that. I found it odd that he went out of his way to make a YouTube video before ever even contacting Pimax customer service.

That said, one broken Pimax and a bunch of production delays doesn’t really tie back to your original claim of “a number of quality issues with Pimax.” That’s one QC issue and a number of production issues.

Also, interesting read for you here: https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/apology-for-the-delays-with-kickstarter-campaign/12420

Delays in backers receiving units, despite greatly improved production rates, are due directly to a commitment to proper QA. They’ve ramped production staffing up and are struggling to do the same with the QA staff, but in order to maintain their standards, they are allowing it to be a bottleneck as they work to increase QA staffing. Pretty commendably in my opinion.

Not interested in an argument, I just think Pimax gets a bad rap in some cases when people misspeak.

With Pimax I have my reservations, but each to their own. It`s a lot of money for the Pimax for what looks like a seat of the pants operation. Personally I would rather deal with a company where I have the guarantee of a proper replacement in the case of a dud, and where the build quality and software capabilities would be to a higher standard. Hence I`ll wait for gen 2, those that wish to take the gamble with their money will do so. My instinct at the minute tells me to stay clear of them.

Almost certainly because you have Motion Smoothing (or ASW) switched off.

No, I wish that were the case though..haha :)

In steam/WMR it's asynchronous reprojection and it's on and doesn't have any effect on DCS. Like I said there is no issue with other VR apps, just DCS. I even tried a combination of asynchronous reprojection and interleaved reprojection still no effect on DCS.

In steam/WMR it's asynchronous reprojection and it's on and doesn't have any effect on DCS. Like I said there is no issue with other VR apps, just DCS. I even tried a combination of asynchronous reprojection and interleaved reprojection still no effect on DCS.

With my Rift, I fly with ASW off so I do not get that ghosting/blurriness as planes fly by.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Not sure it's the same thing. Those re-projection settings are available in SteamVR for Vive Pro as well, and they don't seem to do the same thing as Motion Smoothing.

If I have MS off, and if I move my head left/right (not turn head, but move it) there is horrible ghosting on instrument panels especially. The best example is the range indicator on the Spit panel. Also, doing a roll gives a ghosting effect as well. Looking at any text at the top of the screen is the same, distorted and swirly in a roll. Just as you describe.

In my opinion, MS is a real boon to VR as especially at lower fps, it does produce smooth fps.

The only down side I can see, is the horrible effect it has on certain prop planes, especially the Spitfire, where the swirly gunsight and propellers are unbearable to watch!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Well, I have a big head, so it fits me just fine. I can see why it might bother some. It is not as comfortable as say the RIFT but its fine for me.

Tracking is fine as long as you have plenty of light. Also, if you have any blank walls near by, you will need to put something on it as it will likely lose tracking when you look at it. I just took a few post-it notes, drew some X's on them in Sharpie and stuck it to the wall. Solved the issue.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Not sure it's the same thing. Those re-projection settings are available in SteamVR for Vive Pro as well, and they don't seem to do the same thing as Motion Smoothing.

If I have MS off, and if I move my head left/right (not turn head, but move it) there is horrible ghosting on instrument panels especially. The best example is the range indicator on the Spit panel. Also, doing a roll gives a ghosting effect as well. Looking at any text at the top of the screen is the same, distorted and swirly in a roll. Just as you describe.

In my opinion, MS is a real boon to VR as especially at lower fps, it does produce smooth fps.

The only down side I can see, is the horrible effect it has on certain prop planes, especially the Spitfire, where the swirly gunsight and propellers are unbearable to watch!

Hi Imacken!

Thanks for the info!:thumbup:

For the Vive what setting is used to turn MS off and on? Or what procedure is required to get MS to work on the Vive?

Thanks!

Edited by walleye62

Hi Imaken!

Thanks for the info!:thumbup:

For the Vive what setting is used to turn MS off and on? Or what procedure is required to get MS to work on the Vive?

Thanks!

There is a setting specifically for Motion Smoothing in the Video tab of Settings in SteamVR. The re-projection settings are available in a separate app called Advanced SteamVR Settings (I think!).

Well, I have a big head, so it fits me just fine. I can see why it might bother some. It is not as comfortable as say the RIFT but its fine for me.

Tracking is fine as long as you have plenty of light. Also, if you have any blank walls near by, you will need to put something on it as it will likely lose tracking when you look at it. I just took a few post-it notes, drew some X's on them in Sharpie and stuck it to the wall. Solved the issue.

Going back to the pics, they do seem a touch "blurry" for lack of a better word. Are they sharper in real life?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Going back to the pics, they do seem a touch "blurry" for lack of a better word. Are they sharper in real life?

yeah, that's just because you cant (well maybe you can, but i don't have the patience) hit the sweet spot with the phone. Nice and sharp when its on my face. I can read all the displace without zoom or leaning in.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

yeah, that's just because you cant (well maybe you can, but i don't have the patience) hit the sweet spot with the phone. Nice and sharp when its on my face. I can read all the displace without zoom or leaning in.

Thats mostly what I figured. As it is there doesn't seem to be much if any SDE, and I'm sure in 6 months the software/steam support will be sorted out, unless of course an actual gen2 device is released by then.

Thats mostly what I figured. As it is there doesn't seem to be much if any SDE, and I'm sure in 6 months the software/steam support will be sorted out, unless of course an actual gen2 device is released by then.

I dont see any SDE in the O+. its very impressive. If anyone says they see some SDE, they are seeing the pixels only. There is no space between them to be seen and cause any SDE.:thumbup:

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

I dont see any SDE in the O+. its very impressive. If anyone says they see some SDE, they are seeing the pixels only. There is no space between them to be seen and cause any SDE.:thumbup:

Don't know if you have the original O or a Vive pro (same res), but any comment about the "double PPI" claim with regards to the O+? I.e. double the actual pixel resolution they claim, because they use "virtual" in between pixels?