ILS Landing Noobs

tangodownNZ

Hi all,

Im learning how to land using ILS. Im studying the youtube tutorials as well as the in game tutorial.

My question is, when ATC gives you your fix heading, in my case 224 19, so head at a bearing of 224 deg for 19 Nm. How do I know when 19Nm has been reached in low vis. Is there a way to count down the miles. I thought I could set up a steer point at that location but I would need to calculate that all out for the TAD, and Im sure this isnt how they do it.

Thanks,

Difficult to type this up but I will try, if you set your course on the HSi to the bearing of the runway with the Course Arrow and if your steer-point is the airfield, when the two meet on the HSI you have reached the the start of the approach. The ATC normally sends you about 10nm from the airfield. I don't pay much attention to all this anymore so my figures may be slightly out.

Not sure if that makes much sense.

Screen_170923_063112.thumb.jpg.a54535f3ca7dc69db9b96faf7e0668af.jpg

Edited by Rowan

The ATC go X for Y is a very simple vector from your position to a point some distance along the runway centerline (20km?). Whatever it is it takes no consideration for wind, radius of turn, etc. It's not enough to make an instrument approach with.

Best you can do is turn to the heading (I don't even know if it converts to magnetic) and do a rough time-distance-speed calc in your head. Depending on what aircraft you're in you should just see the airfield turning in the correct direction and a rough time later.

For genuine IFR the ATC vector is pretty worthless. There aren't any published procedures in general in DCS (maybe some fan-made ones). You'll need to take your particular assets for that aircraft and figure something out. It usually isn't too hard.

I recommend following the ATC vector direction while dialing up the TACAN or INS position of the field. Set the CRS knob to the runway heading roughly and turn sharp outbound when they line up. At a suitable distance (by altitude) outbound do a teardrop course reversal. On inbound step down in non-precision approach style either below the IMC or onto the ILS beam.