A10C tactics dependent on geography

Conure

and you as an aircraft technician do? please. I can say you dont know either because you arent a policy maker or a member or the Top Brass. However Its the most logical conlusion. A10s are no longer in production. A10'S slow speed is a weakness. High tech sensors, Matter more than Low N slow Vietnam Aproach.

You are unable to have an unbiased approach due to you association to said aircraft.

You have never heard of analysis then have you? So your saying civilian analysts are all full of **** then? OR are you going to deny that past history of how the A10 performed at low altitude is false also, and in no way help predict of how Future tactics may be applied? ITs only logical the A10 would be grounded if it sustained large losses ( or if they have actually learnt something from history) perhaps its likely multi role aircraft first, because they are less vulnerable due to higher energy. More energy means more room to outmaneuver an incoming missile. Speed is a form of defense on its own.

Flying low is more dangerous than ever. AFAIK A10 only has IR sensors which only give warning against IR based manpads. Doesn't work squat against newer gen ones witch are electro optical seekers. back to square one, because an A10 pilot wont be warned. And flares don't fool electro optical seekers.

SO please cut the the ad hominum argument that if person doesn't serve, it automatically means they don't know anything.

Point in case made here : ( made by an actual service guy from his respective field) that service guys generally aren't the sort all knowing ( my word is final) maestros they make out to be.

I would rather be low and slow in the A10 with it's backup systems and good pilot protection then low and really slow in an Apache taking manpad or AAA fire that's for sure:)

The A10 is just like a fast Apache with a much better gun!! You can't hover, it can do a very tight circuits tho nearly on the spot, still good to keep the speed up in case there's a manpad near by.

In this scenario there would be plenty of top cover and drones for the A10's and Apaches. It would be one hell of a battle for all the aircraft involved, up high or low in the scenario you are talking about that I hope never happens.

Still love the Apache too and we need one for DCS:thumbup:

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Hi Folks,

here is a story I read yesterday. In my opinion, it fits the thread's title and I thought I could share it here since it is geography (topography ?) dependent but not only.

"In late October 2008 in northwestern Afghanistan, six members of a Marine Special Operations Team were minutes away from being overrun by Taliban fighters. Surrounded by a larger enemy force, the Marines had called for air support, but dense cloud cover over the valley the Marines were trapped in was making it impossible for Navy F/A-18s to reach them. For a minute, it looked like all would be lost, until two A-10s arrived, flown by pilots who risked their own lives to save the Marines’, just as night began to fall. The narrative below is based on official statements from Marines in addition to an extensive interview with one of the Hog pilots, all of whom might not have lived to tell the tale.... "

Continue and enjoy reading here : http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/how-two-a-10-pilots-saved-a-group-of-marines-who-were-c-1806510162

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, Intel Core i7-2600K (3.4 GHz), Corsair Vengeance 2x4096 Mo DDR3 1866 MHz, SSD 120 Go Vertex 2, EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 4Go (04G-P4-2978-KR), TM HOTAS Warthog #03797 (MB replaced), Saitek Combat Pro Rudder, TrackIR 5, TM Cougar MFDs with Lilliput 8" UM 80

You are unable to have an unbiased approach due to you association to said aircraft.

My opinion is based on details that aren't public knowledge about A-10 system capabilities as well as discussions with pilots and actually military analysts and experts, not just because I work A-10s.

I didn't once say the A-10 wouldn't have huge losses I'm saying in a war with a near-peer advisary every asset in our inventory would be used to include the A-10 and tactics would be used based on that threat. What we are currently doing in Syria and Iraq wouldn't work because of the A-10s limitations.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

here is a story I read yesterday. In my opinion, it fits the thread's title and I thought I could share it here since it is geography (topography ?) dependent but not only.

"In late October 2008 in northwestern Afghanistan, six members of a Marine Special Operations Team were minutes away from being overrun by Taliban fighters. Surrounded by a larger enemy force, the Marines had called for air support, but dense cloud cover over the valley the Marines were trapped in was making it impossible for Navy F/A-18s to reach them. For a minute, it looked like all would be lost, until two A-10s arrived, flown by pilots who risked their own lives to save the Marines’, just as night began to fall. The narrative below is based on official statements from Marines in addition to an extensive interview with one of the Hog pilots, all of whom might not have lived to tell the tale.... "

Continue and enjoy reading here : http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/how-two-a-10-pilots-saved-a-group-of-marines-who-were-c-1806510162

again read my post. Of why its great.... ( in a low intensity conflict) and that type of flying worked IN a low intensity conflict.

Taliban had no way of fighting back except shooting thier guns. Repeat a similar scenario with some Pantirs or Electro optical manpads present. and those A10s would either be forced to be grounded or the lot of them would be shot down trying to provide CAS to those troops.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

My opinion is based on details that aren't public knowledge about A-10 system capabilities as well as discussions with pilots and actually military analysts and experts, not just because I work A-10s.

I didn't once say the A-10 wouldn't have huge losses I'm saying in a war with a near-peer advisary every asset in our inventory would be used to include the A-10 and tactics would be used based on that threat. What we are currently doing in Syria and Iraq wouldn't work because of the A-10s limitations.

Neither did i say or doubt that you guys do train for low altitude flying.

Correct. Thats what i said too. flying low in that case is the lesser evil in that case, because Of the sort of mid - long range SAM those adversaries would employ.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD