Question about performance tab of Windows task manager

First of all, please forget my ignorance :P, I merely try to learn a bit more about this..

Is checking the performance tab in the Windows task manager a proper way to find my pc's hardware bottleneck?

Few weeks ago I doubled my RAM to 32GB and when I check the task manager now I do see that the bottleneck seems to have shifted from my pc's memory to my 1080ti (the latter one being the first component to hit 100% usage). But I just noticed something weird that made me doubt if Windows task manager is an accurate way to check this.

I just played a mission which was kinda heavy on my pc, but with decent fps. At some point I tried speeding up time (ctrl-z), which obviously destroyed my framerate to about 5fps. While doing 2x time speed, I checked the task manager and surprisingly my CPU, memory and GPU all showed minor usage (like below 20%). I made sure my HMD was active while checking these values.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

For Ram and GPU, it's ok, mainly used cause it's so easy to get to compared to other monitor software.

For CPU and disk utilisation it pools all resources. It's important to know that it pools all resources but if you only have one GPU that's not an issue, and RAM us just one big pool.

Say you have a four core CPU, no hyperthreading, that shows up to windows as for sperate cpu's, all four cores must be fully loaded for your CPU 'pool' to report 100%.

Even when separating the graph to logical cores giving a graph per thread, won't give s good indication, windows will cycle a tasks CPU usage across available cores so no single core should feel lonely or forgotten.

If only one thread is fully maxed out and the rest is idling the cpu utilisation would never report more than 25%, and since windows constantly shifts the load around it won't show up on the graphs either.

And we don't have quad core cpu's anymore either, 6-12 cores are becoming very common, and with hyperthreading that is reported to windows as a 12 and 24 cpu's fit it's big pool.

So a fully loaded core on my cpu for instance would come in as a cpu utilisation of 8% since 12 threads at my disposal.

The best way to tell if you are you limited, us to decrease graphics settings until the GPU sees low use, and if you still don't get any better framerate.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I usually have 1 core at full tilt 100% usage and the others vary between 1-50%, they go all the way up & down depending what DCS and the system has to do but that 1 core is always running max.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks for the explanation :thumbup:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

An example, SP Free Flight Hornet PG

pic is in this thread https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=260836

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X