Nose Wheel Steering and A-10C HOTAS

bradleyjs

Just got DCS v2.0 and NTTR -- been waiting almost 6 years for it - Yeah!

However, it been a long time behind the stick and all of my custom mapping are all now set to default.

I know how to activate the nose wheel steering - its just that I don't remember how to control the nose wheel. I remember that I had some sort of modifier set with the pinky "trigger" (if you will) and the aileron axis.

Can someone please advise me how to set that back up or tell how to use the default keys at least. I can't find any reference to the nose wheel steering in the Controls section of the Options.

Edited by bradleyjs

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

I don't have any rudder pedals. I only have the Thrustmaster A-10C HOTAS...

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

Thank you! I have been searching in the controls and just can't find it.

I used to have Thrustmaster Rudder pedals years ago - but my wife won't let me have them under the dining room table - as this is my "man cave" now. The other room had to be converted to an actual bedroom.... such is life.

I've been using the TM warthog without rudder pedals for almost 5 years and it's fine :)

I personally have mapped the rudder axis to the friction wheel (aka "slider" in DCS settings) but I guess it's a matter of habits/personal preferences.

Welcome back to DCS !

How do you fly the ww2 plane without the pedal rudders? During dogfight??

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

Spirit is important: let him fly in the blue sky!

I'm more of a ground pounder than a A2A guy. But I've been flying helos for years without much issues.

The left throttle is assigned to RPM and the right one is used as throttle.

If you try it you'll see that your thumb "falls" naturally on the slider, making it fairly easy to move both at the same time. Sometimes it requires some "hand gymnastic" but it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's better than rudder pedals, but it's certainly possible to fly correctly without them.

Edited by Eight Ball

I use my old X52 as pedals. Masterful really.

xLEEF2K.jpg

Ingenious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. System specs: Windows 7 Pro, EVGA X58 3x classified 3 MOBO, i7 960 @3.2Ghz, 24Gb Ram, Nvidia EVGA GTX 780ti with 3 Gb VRAM.

12th Gen i7 12700K, MSI Z690 Edge mobo, 32 GB of DDR4-3600 RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws V CL16). 

Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle OC (Triple Fan, 16GB VRAM), ACER XV322QU 32" IPS monitor (running 2560x1440).

2TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (3D TLC NAND PCIe Gen 4 x4).

Windows 11.

My problem is .. that's it's been years since I've had to program the A-10C HOTAS with my custom setting (with out my rudder pedals) that I frankly don't remember what I had done before. But, now that I know what the keys are (Z, X) I'm going to add a modifier to the stick as I had before to keep my hands on the stick and throttle (HOTAS).

I've always continued with the various upgrades and new releases but I really haven't spent too much time simming over the past few years. Been really busy working and just don't find time for anymore until now that v2.0 NTTR was finally released. I'm an original A-10C Beta customer and have just been waiting. Plus, being much older now, I tend to be more forgetful these days with such things.

I'm ex-USAF, Desert Storm Vet, and Pilot from the early 80's/90's and just love this sim as it's so realistic. Been a simmer since the early 80's when MS Flight was just v2.0.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

I'm ex-USAF, Desert Storm Vet, and Pilot from the early 80's/90's and just love this sim as it's so realistic. Been a simmer since the early 80's when MS Flight was just v2.0.

:thumbup:

Thank you for your service!

I hope you get some time to enjoy more of the flight simming you love to do!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Roger that Don B - will try and thanks.

HOTAS Warthog Joystick pinky switch is for realistically for NWS engage/disengage on ground, in air you operate with it LASER designation (toggle, or momentary, depending on setting on TGP page.).

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

• 4 years later...
How did you connect your rudders to your tensioner lever? I can't get it to be recognized

I presume you are trying to map it to the lever on the "front" of the Warthog throttle? That one really is a physical tensioner that has no binding ability.

What the I believe the OP was referring to (and it's confusing and I only discovered this recently) is the lever on the right side (marked with INCR and DECR) which is properly called some version of tensioner or friction slider or something similar (I can't remember exactly, but I know that it confused me until I came across that).