Monitor upgrade

Hey guys!

I'm looking to get a new screen and I'm sort of in a spot where I can't make up my mind anymore. I think I've reached the point of reading too many reviews :D

Current setup is a 1440p@60hz IPS 27" with i5 4690k and a GTX 980. Target is to play DCS and an FPS that's name ends in "offensive"

Key features that I look for:

- 27" / 1440p / 144hz

- blur reduction (i.e. ULMB/DyAc) - this is mostly for FPS

- although I have no experience I strongly believe G-Sync would be vital to an improved DCS experience

- fast response time - again for PFS

There are a few candidates I have:

1) ASUS PG278QR

2) ASUS PG279Q

3) BenQ XL2735

4) DELL S2716DG

5) ACER XB271HU

I also made a post on reddit with a little more details, I'll try not to make a wall of text here: https://redd.it/6v44li

Here I'll try to be more DCS oriented. I have a few questions that will be difficult to find answers for elsewhere.

a) User experience with any of the models mentioned (or other worthy alternatives) is greatly appreciated.

b) How big is the disparity between 8 bit color quality TN panels and IPS in DCS?

c) Is there any drawback of using a TN panel with TrackIR? I suspect there could be substantianl gamma or color shift when tilting/moving your head.

On the TN vs IPS debate I have a weird experience overall. I used 19" TN 5:4 for many years and it was flawless. Particularly in DCS it was a lot easier to spot certain things (like missile trails for instance), although this could easily be an artifact of the changed smoke trails.

d) How well does G-Sync work with DCS? I'm typically in the range of 30-80 frames depending on whether I'm on the ground or not. I suppose it could be a huge difference.

e) Severe ghosting of AHVA IPS panels of this type. Is this true?

Get a widescreen monitor. Something like ACER x34. Added peripherial view makes a real diifference in DCS. Plus its IPS, 100hz and has G-sync - which is one of those things that you never want to go back once you get used to it.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

21:9 is not an option for me because I need it for FPS types too, not only DCS :)

Although I'm sure it looks real good. I have a buddy who owns something similar and he told me it's sick!

Interestingly enough, in my own experience, the screen area seems to be inversely proportional to it's usefulness. After switching to 16:9 I always felt it was much easier to focus on things on a 5:4 than anything wide screen.

21:9 is not an option for me because I need it for FPS types too, not only DCS :)

IMO, it's rather opposite, widescreen is also great for FPS. Lets you to see more. After a while 16:9 feels like a tunnel vision.

Up to you though :)

As for other questions:

- TN should not be an issue for TIR. You're in front of the monitor and viewing angles are not large enough to get affected by the problem.

- G-sync, works fine with jumping FPS rate. That's one of it's strongest advantage over V-Sync. Plus obviously no input lag which is a no-go for FPS - since you play it but also makes a head movement with TIR much more responsive.

- personally if I would by a quality monitor with TN I would go with 8 bit panel. From reviews it seems to make a difference. Though I don't have direct experience as I've went for IPS

- IPS is great but don't take me for an IPS maniac :). Quality TN has it's advantages but the color reproduction of IPS makes a big difference. Obviously IPS comes with it's issues like back-light bled but unless running a poor panel it shouldn't be noticeable in every day use. I don't have any issues with ghosting.

From those you've listed I would go for PG278QR or if you can spend more for IPS PG279Q.

After reading tons of reviews I almost bought the PG278Q, then changed my mind to squeeze the wallet more for some extra cash and get PG279Q due to its IPS. Then decided to make my wallet cry and got Acer X34. I'm really happy that I did that :)

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I have the PG278Q, very good monitor, any 144hz g-sync monitor is good though...

as for VR... yeah it depends on how you play DCS, and how good your eyesight is, the better your eyesight, the worse VR looks, and the more effective you want to be in combat, the more pixels you need, in other words, while VR gives you the whole depth perception, and good head tracking, it's like looking through these, except all pixely, with low framerate like 50 fps max, with low graphics settings, no matter how good of a computer you have.

14313350.jpg

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have the PG278Q, very good monitor, any 144hz g-sync monitor is good though...

as for VR... yeah it depends on how you play DCS, and how good your eyesight is, the better your eyesight, the worse VR looks, and the more effective you want to be in combat, the more pixels you need, in other words, while VR gives you the whole depth perception, and good head tracking, it's like looking through these, except all pixely, with low framerate like 50 fps max, with low graphics settings, no matter how good of a computer you have.

I have the older PG278Q too, love this monitor, I did consider going larger and 4K. Very happy with this purchase for DCS or anything you do that requires smooth quick response.

It's a very good perfect balance at the moment with 1440P G Synced 144Hz, GTX 1070 and CPU @ 5GHz.

I was trying one of the driving sims the other day and this setup is magic in those too. :thumbup:

It comes down to what your after I guess, I do get the large 4K thing some go for, if your after quick smooth speed for FPS too, then this setup is probably the way to go, I would not go back to a standard monitor now.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

IMO, it's rather opposite, widescreen is also great for FPS. Lets you to see more. After a while 16:9 feels like a tunnel vision.

This is not really how it works tbh. While having more peripherial vision is not a bad thing necessarly, in this case it can easily distract you and you have a much wider FoV which makes it harder to focus. If you're not preaimed at the right spot chances are you won't make a flick across the screen before the other guy kills you. Most professionals use 4:3 with black bars or strech it across the screen, although in my opinion is mainly because of how muscle memory works. Some of these people played over a decade before 16:9 was a thing so it doesn't make sense to throw all that training out the window.

- TN should not be an issue for TIR. You're in front of the monitor and viewing angles are not large enough to get affected by the problem.

- G-sync, works fine with jumping FPS rate. That's one of it's strongest advantage over V-Sync. Plus obviously no input lag which is a no-go for FPS - since you play it but also makes a head movement with TIR much more responsive.

This is great to hear. AFAIK it's somehow possible to get rid of the input lag due to G-Sync in games where you can limit your frames, but I don't really know if it actually works. In any case I'll probably use ULMB in FPS. My biggest concern is if the brightness will be enough.

- personally if I would by a quality monitor with TN I would go with 8 bit panel. From reviews it seems to make a difference. Though I don't have direct experience as I've went for IPS

I think all my candidates are 8 bit, although I'm not 100% sure.

I'm a pretty avid anti VR person mostly because I don't beleive for a second that this is as harmless to your eye as looking at a standard screen. The shitty resolution and insane performance requirements don't make me a fan either.

Question to the 278Q owners: have you tried ULMB? It's probably pointless in DCS but I'm sure you play other games too. I wonder how bad the brightness loss is at normal day conditions.

Although I'm sure it looks real good. I have a buddy who owns something similar and he told me it's sick!

Interestingly enough, in my own experience, the screen area seems to be inversely proportional to it's usefulness. After switching to 16:9 I always felt it was much easier to focus on things on a 5:4 than anything wide screen.

Welp, I'm out on being able to suggest anything then :( I'd suggest 34" Curved UW all day.

The ASUS ROG PG279Q is a great monitor though.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I have the older PG278Q too, love this monitor, I did consider going larger and 4K. Very happy with this purchase for DCS or anything you do that requires smooth quick response.

It's a very good perfect balance at the moment with 1440P G Synced 144Hz, GTX 1070 and CPU @ 5GHz.

I was trying one of the driving sims the other day and this setup is magic in those too. :thumbup:

It comes down to what your after I guess, I do get the large 4K thing some go for, if your after quick smooth speed for FPS too, then this setup is probably the way to go, I would not go back to a standard monitor now.

^ +1

Love my Gsyncer, best gaming device of the past years. Nothing had more impact on gameplay&joy than GSYNC in my world, across many games.

Paired with a fast CPU and GPU you are perfectly set :joystick:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Finally found a shop that provides full pixel warranty and also calibrates the thing. I think I'm going to go with the 278QR. One more question to the guys who own it: I've read about certain overheating issues. Do you have any experience with that?

Blaze, go VR bro...and just use your current monitor for FPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

That's the opposite of what I want. Besides' date=' I'm not going to gamble my eyesight on some tech that's barely out for a few years.[/quote']

it is an old tech :), it is called optics. You are just looking through a pair of lens at a source of light. Same thing as wearing glasses and looking at a monitor screen. I'm amazed that my eyes are actually not getting tired of VR, but 2-3 hours in front of a monitor - and they are itchy.

Obviously, if your focus is on "competitive air-to-air human vs human" combat - VR is not a right tool. TrackIR high res/density guy will see VR guy much sooner, not saying the TrackIR head turn rate is much more efficient (although very unrealistic too). Any other kind of combat - VR is a way to go.

Edited by sea2sky

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

it is an old tech :), it is called optics. You are just looking through a pair of lens at a source of light. Same thing as wearing glasses and looking at a monitor screen. I'm amazed that my eyes are actually not getting tired of VR, but 2-3 hours in front of a monitor - and they are itchy.

Obviously, if your focus is on "competitive air-to-air human vs human" combat - VR is not a right tool. TrackIR high res/density guy will see VR guy much sooner, not saying the TrackIR head turn rate is much more efficient (although very unrealistic too). Any other kind of combat - VR is a way to go.

FWIW, I track targets so much better in BFM with VR than I did with TrackIR (I constantly lost them with TrackIR). My SA is 100x better with VR, given it's essentially like being in the fight in real life...the only downside is I can't get tally on bandits as far out (due to lower res/clarity).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Unfortunately ( or fortunately?) both PG278QRs had dead pixels and other issues that they had in store and they aren't even sure if they'll recieve any further ones at all, let alone within a reasonable timeframe.

Apparently there is a pretty much identical version from ACER, the XB271HUa. Luckily out of the 2 they had in store, one was pretty much perfect so I went in to check it in person and pulled the trigger on the deal. It'll be delivered on friday, can't wait. :)

#144hz master race :megalol: