Pitot Heat vs. icing conditions

FishBike

Myself and two friends flew a mission last night which involved a lot of time flying in icing conditions. The mission uses the template "snowstorm" weather with the winds removed, and we spent all of it within a few hundred feet of the ground.

On the way back to our landing field after quite some time in those conditions (close to an hour I think), all three of us lost airspeed indication within a few minutes of each other. The airspeed indicator acted like an altimeter instead, just as you would expect from pitot icing. However, all three of us confirmed we had pitot heat switched on. I had the same thing happen at about the same place when I was testing the mission the day before, too.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, pilot error, or something working the way it's supposed to be. Is there some way we can diagnose what happened? Is there a total time limit for how long pitot heat can be on? From testing the mission earlier, I know the same problem will happen pretty quickly if pitot heat is off.

• 1 year later...

The thing is that no matter how much time you have heater on, the Pitot will eventually freeze... I believe that not real... Even when no moisture is visible in the air (clouds etc.) Which is not real too. Moisture is what causes the icing problems mainly not temperature alone...

Yes it is not real, anyone who has ever worked on a real helo in the winter and almost touched a pitot tube after they just shut down will tell you it will burn your skin off you hand instantly. It is so hot we had to wait 30 min before we could put the remove before flight pitot covers on.

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

The thing is that no matter how much time you have heater on, the Pitot will eventually freeze... I believe that not real... Even when no moisture is visible in the air (clouds etc.) Which is not real too. Moisture is what causes the icing problems mainly not temperature alone...

Obviously the pitot tube should not get blocked by ice out of clouds/fog/freezing rain. Freezing conditions mean visible moisture and below 0ºC temperature.

BTW, this is from the UH-1H/V Operator's manual:

b. Continuous flight in light icing conditions is

not recommended because the ice shedding induces

rotor blade vibrations, adding greatly to the pilots work

load If icing conditions are encountered during flight

every effort should be made to vacate the icing

environment On aircraft modified with the improved

particle separator, the upper step screen may be

removed prior to flight if icing conditions are probable.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

was this reported?

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...

i can confirm the bug / strange feature is still there and happens around 50 min into the mission. track attached (@Flappie). first noticeable after i command the autopilot to orbit, when the speed suddenly starts dropping from around 80 to 60 kt. from that moment on, the ASI exhibits typical behavior of pitot icing. tried recycling the pitot heater (off/on), but didn't seem to have any effect.
(i tested havoc's autostart script during this mission, in case someone is wondering about the quick startup)

uh1-pitot-icing.trk

Edited by HILOK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2014 at 5:18 PM, FishBike said:

Myself and two friends flew a mission last night which involved a lot of time flying in icing conditions. The mission uses the template "snowstorm" weather with the winds removed, and we spent all of it within a few hundred feet of the ground.

On the way back to our landing field after quite some time in those conditions (close to an hour I think), all three of us lost airspeed indication within a few minutes of each other. The airspeed indicator acted like an altimeter instead, just as you would expect from pitot icing. However, all three of us confirmed we had pitot heat switched on. I had the same thing happen at about the same place when I was testing the mission the day before, too.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, pilot error, or something working the way it's supposed to be. Is there some way we can diagnose what happened? Is there a total time limit for how long pitot heat can be on? From testing the mission earlier, I know the same problem will happen pretty quickly if pitot heat is off.

Old post but still:

There will not be Icing conditions in a snow storm. The snow is already frozen, or wet. 

Icing conditions happens in clouds, of fog or (barely) dense mist. Happens also from freezing rain or drizzle, but other than these = no.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe