Virpil throttle questions

SneakyBastd

I do not have their throttle yet, I'm still waiting for an analog ministick version. But I'm curious:

1. How does the throttle axis work in DCS with the detents? When you push forward to full mil, and then want afterburner, is it simply a case of finding that magic spot where DCS engages afterburner and setting the detent at that point? If so, that seems easy enough.

But....

2. How do you set it up so that pushing the throttles from fully back to the idle detent will start an engine, but will not move the throttle above 0%?

It seems like you need to program a button to fire as you progress to the idle detent, but have no throttle axis progression until you push further forward from idle. A deadzone in effect, up to where you have set your idle detent, but a deadzone in which a button fires?

3. Are all fast jets with burner using the same axis points for selecting idle/AB, etc? Or do you need to load a profile each time you switch airframe?

ELI5 please ;)

Thankyou.

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

Setting the detente really is as easy as you’d u suggest, just 4 Allen bolts to loosen off, move and re-tighten.

I set mine for the harrier engine at 99% and it’s about right for almost all of my other aircraft.

I use a couple of the switches to move the engines into idle, but have done that consistently using the same buttons for say the F18, F5 and A10.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

The throttle quality is in question as far as I am concerned. I have a ticket in regarding the wear of pars. As for the throttle detents I can tell you that it is easy to set the detends THE FIRST TIME.

After you screw the set screws into soft aluminum to lock them in place it marks the metal and then after that if you needed to adjust the position of the detends a few millimeters then you will have difficulty setting it exactly where you want. Took me 30 minutes of trying and trying to get the set screw to sit correctly on previously marred metal. I hope I don't need to move them again.

The other thing I am now noticing is that the detent is fairly soft and IMO too easy pushed through.

Edited by backstab

I do not have their throttle yet, I'm still waiting for an analog ministick version. But I'm curious:

1. How does the throttle axis work in DCS with the detents? When you push forward to full mil, and then want afterburner, is it simply a case of finding that magic spot where DCS engages afterburner and setting the detent at that point? If so, that seems easy enough.

But....

2. How do you set it up so that pushing the throttles from fully back to the idle detent will start an engine, but will not move the throttle above 0%?

It seems like you need to program a button to fire as you progress to the idle detent, but have no throttle axis progression until you push further forward from idle. A deadzone in effect, up to where you have set your idle detent, but a deadzone in which a button fires?

3. Are all fast jets with burner using the same axis points for selecting idle/AB, etc? Or do you need to load a profile each time you switch airframe?

ELI5 please ;)

Thankyou.

1. Yes, magic spot.

2. I'd use a switch/button for that. This throttle doesn't have a lift up/paddles and it would be way too easy to accidentally go below idle and stop the engine. You can set it up with a detent in idle position and a virtual button press when crossing the detent. I had it that way for a while, but decided against it because I am used to a mechanical lock preventing the throttle from going below the idle.

3. No. It's bit fiddly but you can set this up using curves in DCS. I have set hardware detents to match the Hornet afterburner and slightly modify curves for other aircrafts (I have all modules) to match theirs. It took me about 15 minutes to figure it out for the first plane, but then it was easier, as principle is the same. It's DCS quirk. Some other sims make it much easier (a button to turn burner on and off).

Mechanical detent setup is easy - loose the screws, set the throttle in position where you want the detent to be and lightly tighten the screws (have a good hex driver and use two fingers) - no need to over tighten them. You can set 4 different detents, 2 per side. I only use 2 of them set equally on both sides.

Edited by mdee

Thanks all, that gives me a much better idea of what to expect, and watch out for.

And backstab, I hope you get your issue sorted quickly. You don't want that sort of rubbish happening on such a premium item. But from everything I've read, Virpil seem to be on the ball. GL!

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks all, that gives me a much better idea of what to expect, and watch out for.

And backstab, I hope you get your issue sorted quickly. You don't want that sort of rubbish happening on such a premium item. But from everything I've read, Virpil seem to be on the ball. GL!

I solved my own problem for the time being. I have seen no real evidence that they are on the ball but they have stopped talking to me. I agreed to take a few of the small parts in question but have not received them. I passed my address to them and POOF...forgotten about.

This is why I choose to vent my issued on here instead of play games with corporations. I let the people know whats going on and then they worry if what is being said is of concern to their bottom line.

Im not holding my breath.

guys please....i've received today the throttle but i've a question...how can i change the position of mechanical lock to set idle position? now its set for afterburner in the middle of throttle run

On the throttle base and you can see four steel bearings with set screws. Loosen the set screws, move the throttle to where you want it and tighten the screw back up. You can have two detents per throttle.

This thread is specific to the problems of wear on the detent plate. You need to post these questions in a new post or find one already inquiring about the detents (there are some already).