Is there any interest in a low cost collective

Thick8

I just built a collective last week. I used RC-Pilots grip and head and a base of my own design. In the middle of printing and building it I drew up a totally new design that would be more cost effective to build. It will have the same functionality and still have a Huey head. I will be building at least one but have enough material for 3. I'll upload some pics when I get the new one built.

Here's the one I made over the course of the last few weeks.

IMG_0276.thumb.JPG.f0f301f9b6ce79a9f3a0605a810a0e5f.JPG

IMG_0277.thumb.JPG.a08413318ecd96c8a4c5dacbe81e8680.JPG

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Looks good, do you have an estimated cost?

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

Hi All,

I've been busy fine tuning the drawing, ordering different switches, and printing some parts for fitting.

I have a bunch of switches from another project. They are on-off and on-off-on type which required a change to the default lua file to function correctly, and can function backwards if the position of the switch does not match the in game position on startup. So I ordered some on- on and on-on-on switches so that won't be an issue. They should be here Monday.

I'm using a Teensy board because the BU0836a would require a matrix for the 16 digital inputs (I'm using 12 on mine) whereas the teensy can handle all 16 without a matrix. Plus it's smaller so it will fit into the head. I haven't written the sketch yet but I will probably do that this weekend. Lord know I have nowhere to go given the current state of things.

I'm also waiting on a couple of other parts to get here Monday that I think will make the friction brake un-necessary or of lesser importance. I ended up just loosening the brake completely on mine. The level of control without the brake is incredible. Imagine if the accelerator pedal on your car had a friction brake.

I should have some progress pics to post late Sunday or Monday.

Till then,

John

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Excellent work. Well done.

Having just taken a massive trip down memory lane by downloading the Huey as free trial I will be purchasing..

Would be interested in the std files if you care to share...

The head and grip of the one pictured is on Thingiverse by RC_Pilot. The base is my own design and I will be putting in on Thingiverse as soon as I have time. Right now that computer is in the other room lasering and CNCing some face plates. The 4-way hat switch is on the verse under Thick8.

Once I get this new design built and tested I will be uploading it as well.

I have a full time job as a truck mechanic so I’ve been pretty busy lately. Hope to have at least one new collective done this weekend.

Welcome to the digital Huey gang! ������

By memory lane, you mean you’re a real Huey pilot?

What you mean by std (standard?) files? As far as I know, everything you need is already included

STL is a stereolithography file used for 3D printers. Now ya know.

Sorry meant STLs. Thick8 thanks very much for sharing, I think I will have enough axis and buttons spare on the rudder project I am working on to share Arduino board. New project to add to the print list :)

d0ppler, yes I used to fly Hueys briefly 20 years ago. I know my memory may no be perfect but the flight model captures the feel/vibe of the real beast perfectly. Right down to the annoying tendency for me to find myself pointing my nose 20 degrees right on centreline while taxying. (my fault not the aircraft, it is because I don't allow enough for the right skid hanging low.) only fault I have observed is the compressor wine is too loud compared to the rotor noise. I always loved the Huey's rotor sound. Oh and if my copilot ever dared to guard the controls like my virtual copilot does he would have had his arms broken. :)

Wow that’s a lot of stuff on that head. Not that enamored with the aesthetics of it but there is definitely some functionality going on there. It’s at a comparative price to what I was thinking for mine.

I have the pinky paddle switch on my WH stick set up as a modifier button. So I mapped armament functions to my collective. Almost all of my controller’s buttons serve 2 functions.

I think it’s good that people will have some more realistically priced controller options going forward as the prices for some of the current ones is bordering on ridiculous.

Laser cutter finished, time to go put the CNC head on the machine.

Finished printing the head and assembled for dry fit. It's 4 printed pieces. the head support, main body, front plate, back plate, and potentiometer bracket. Then there is the CNC'ed and lasered legend plate as well.

1387564008_OpenBack.thumb.jpg.86a4791e9ed7da8e5f298d586635ca8b.jpg

Front1.jpg.57492e8f5626569b54cf4717bebd2877.jpg

1087341533_Frontsize.jpg.b13f993370b2bb95d2d389dc90a6b9dd.jpg

249211281_BackSize.thumb.jpg.d1935d90df30d3dadc36048a90e6e669.jpg

1749774618_Sidesize.thumb.jpg.f9168e47d59d8374d7fc2267ae5a7357.jpg

1269556308_Angledfront.thumb.jpg.863afaaedb96be432e14068b092b504f.jpg

Edited by Thick8

• 2 weeks later...

If someone made a collective head that would interface with TM and Virpil bases, that would be very marketable. My current collective is a DIY job using my old TM Warthog stick base (spring removed) and a left-handed Virpil T-50 grip, in a housing that sets it at the correct angle and adds hydraulic damping for resistance. It works well enough and is plug-and-play, but I'd much rather have a realistic collective head.

Virpil is supposedly developing a collective head and base too, but I'd be amazed if either came to market in the next year.

• 2 weeks later...

FINISHED! (mostly)

I had an issue with my 3D printer and should have a new controller board here next week for it. then I can finish the cover for the base.

Here's a link to pics of the finished unit. https://imgur.com/gallery/3TzHdMq

I will provide a link to a video that demonstrates the balance system that I devised for it. It works like I dreamed it should and way better than I could have hoped.

I plan on building at least 3 of these. If the interest is there I will probably do some more. I figure it will take about a week per unit as I have a regular 40 hour a week gig.

The price will be $275 + shipping.

John

Links to vids

Edited by Thick8