AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is 1.5.8 Open Beta required? I thought 2.5 would be a stable release, not a beta.

As I understand:

1.5.8 beta -> updated to 2.5 beta.

1.5.8 stable -> discontinued (obviously it's possible to keep the install but no patches will come out for it after 2.5 release). It will not be updated, new 2.5 install has to be downloaded and setup.

2.2 alpha -> discontinued

2.5 stable -> new install but in order to reduce the download size it'll copy files from 2.2 if it's installed.

For those running 1.5 beta that decide to also use the 2.5 beta basically it'll be just an update proces as with any other patch. Nothing more to install.

1.5 stable and 2.2 alpha can be esentially deleted after 2.5 comes out.

Anyone correct me please if I got something mixed up.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

If you have 1.5.8 Openbeta(!) this will be updated to 2.5 Openbeta. You will "replace" and "add" files in/to 1.5.8 Openbeta from 2.2 and download the remaining updates from the internet.

Unfortunately 9GB is tough! As you would need space for at least the additional one or two map(s) from 2.2 (Nevada and Normandy) if you update 1.5.8 Openbeta.

Any chance to switch the provider and get a larger SSD?

I use AirVPN.org which has a 1€ for three days access, otherwise I can't play online. As it's a paid subscription (albeit 1€), you have full service with no restrictions.

Might be worth a look... I'm not sure on their torrent usage, but as it's a legitimate torrent and not pirate media, I would guess it's ok.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, Gigabyte GTX 980 4Gb, Asus Prime z270k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz, Plextor PCIe SSD 256Gb, Samsung EVO 750 SSD 500Gb, 9.5TB SATA incl 4TB Mirrored. Saitek X52-Pro

Is 1.5.8 Open Beta required? I thought 2.5 would be a stable release, not a beta.
Not required, but it can be updated to 2.5 Openbeta. So you won't need to download everything again, just the changes and new files.

The update will also copy files from 2.2 of it is installed.

After that you could delete 2.2 and likely even switch the 2.5 Openbeta to 2.5 release, with the DCS_ updater.exe's command line options...

Though currently I dare say the 9GB SSD space remaining seems to be the bottleneck, as any of the maps (Nevada, Normandy) will consume more diskspace and the update will pretty much copy(!) the maps from 2.2...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Am I the only one that struggles to see at night in VR even when using FLIR or NVGs? And unfortunately, the Tarawa does not have any lights on it so I can only see it when I'm up close to it and by that time I'm passing it up. :)

2.2? I have that problem in 2.2. Its like the green 'overlay', is twice the opacity. If that makes sense? I havent tried in 1.58.

nvg.thumb.jpg.5cc0e1816fa28a523276bc6c93e0f019.jpg

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

2.2? I have that problem in 2.2. Its like the green 'overlay', is twice the opacity. If that makes sense? I havent tried in 1.58.
Are you using the nods? I believe there is a brightness control for night vision. Try adjusting that..I wish I could remember exactly where it is. On the a10 it's by the lighting panel. If that doesn't help try adjusting brightness in 2.2 to a lower value in settings.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Are you using the nods? I believe there is a brightness control for night vision. Try adjusting that..I wish I could remember exactly where it is. On the a10 it's by the lighting panel. If that doesn't help try adjusting brightness in 2.2 to a lower value in settings.

Nope, no mod in use.

Using default 2.2 gamma.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Nope, no mod in use.

Using default 2.2 gamma.

Not mods, night vision goggles. The amount of brightness in the green looked like you were viewing it through night vision goggles. I think Right shift H toggles them on and off?

Oh and definitely lower the gamma from 2.2 to something like 1.5. Gamma of 2.2 makes it ridiculously bright.

Edited by sze5003

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Yes in 2.2 version and my gamma is set to 1.5. I've noticed I'm really straining my eyes so I'll hold off on night sorties in the Harrier until they add hud & nvg brightness functionality.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Yes in 2.2 version and my gamma is set to 1.5. I've noticed I'm really straining my eyes so I'll hold off on night sorties in the Harrier until they add hud & nvg brightness functionality.

Or just add them your self doesn't take much effort.

Go to DCS World/mods/aircraft/A-10(for example)/inputs/keyboard/default.lua

Find Nightvision brightness up and down copy 2 lines of code.

Go to same location but for the harrier and paste them in

Enter the game, bind them and enjoy

Edited by Rlaxoxo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

Go to DCS World/mods/aircraft/A-10(for example/inputs/keyboard/default.lua

This :thumbup:

I also turn Referred Shaders OFF but that is a personal reference of course

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ANON6-1 | Wolfie

Go to DCS World/mods/aircraft/A-10(for example)/inputs/keyboard/default.lua

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Hello to all.

Someone of you noticed how few effective are the Mk20 rockeye? I know that they aren't CBU 97 or CBU 105 of course but I thought that they were better. By the way they are CEM, combined effect munitions...so...where is the effect?...I tried to use them on 3 targets, 1 T55, 1 BTR 80 and 1 Boman but without any result. Only few infantry nearby (but not many) was killed by the Mk20... a poor effect. I found better to use against the same targets some Mk83... I am sure that the Mk20 hit the targets....but, I repeat, no result... Is it true this poor effect or it's a bug or maybe I do something wrong in the configuration? I use CIP programm to lauch these bombs because CCRP (auto) now is not still ready for a good shot, at least without a laser guide.

Thank you for some kind answer. Fabio

Hello to all.

Someone of you noticed how few effective are the Mk20 rockeye? I know that they aren't CBU 97 or CBU 105 of course but I thought that they were better. By the way they are CEM, combined effect munitions...so...where is the effect?...I tried to use them on 3 targets, 1 T55, 1 BTR 80 and 1 Boman but without any result. Only few infantry nearby (but not many) was killed by the Mk20... a poor effect. I found better to use against the same targets some Mk83... I am sure that the Mk20 hit the targets....but, I repeat, no result... Is it true this poor effect or it's a bug or maybe I do something wrong in the configuration? I use CIP programm to lauch these bombs because CCRP (auto) now is not still ready for a good shot, at least without a laser guide.

Thank you for some kind answer. Fabio

Known problem with area effect weapons and damage model of AI units in DCS. Fragmentation damage isn't modeled, only blast damage. So bombs, rockets, gun HE munitions and especially bomblets are not very effective against armored targets...

ED is aware and with 2.5 through the door hopefully we will see improvements on this.

Damage model is already worked on, according to some posts here, so hopefully this comes sooner than later.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I modded my View Settings so my TrackIR 6DOF could move lower to see the HUD Controls under the UFC. If you're interested in how to do this, check this post.

attachment.php?attachmentid=176754&d=1516997015

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

I have had similar issues with this. This is what I have done without .LUA augmentation, and it will keep IC (Using Opentrack) Exported out to TrackIR Emulation

This is ingame running.

1. Settings / Axis assign Change Z Axis to (head-movement forward and back) in axis bindings

2. Enter game and recenter Trackir

3. Settings / Axis assign Change Z axis to (Zoom in / out axis)

4. Back to game and recenter Track IR.

5. You can rebind the Z back to whatever you want now with UFC not obstructing HUD panel.

This works for me hopefully you can replicate.

Ye but it brakes IC

My Shield is Green in the Server list with this modded server.lua file.

I was able to join BuddySpike, but they have no Blue Harriers.

I was able to join 104th server with no problems and fly the Harrier.

So, I have no IC issues. This works.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Ye but it brakes IC

It is when the files within module are modified which is not the best way to do it anyway.

If you use the server.lua stored in saved games the change is IC Green.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Hello to all. I ve dowloaded the new DCS world 2.5.0 beta and it's amazing. Apart of the incredible beauty of the naure rendered, I am happy to see that something is changed also in the AV8B... now it's possible to use the litening with GBU 12 without mistakes. The bombs (all the bombs) hit the assigned targets. And also it's possible to hit moving targets like in the A10C. The litening after a little bit switch to point....Great. And, more, the viewfinder of the litening is precise. If I shoot with the gun where the viewfinder is pointed, the target is exactly under the viewfinder . Before was not. I 've also noticed that finally the Mk20 are rather effective. I tried them against some BTR80 and they were after all destroyed. Thanks you Zeus and thank you Razbam...now if I can ask.... GBU38 when ? ;) Bye