Boresight radar lock for short range aim-120 launch

launchedsquid
Go to solution Solved by Kirkey_badgers,

:helpsmilie:I'm going mad, I can't lock a target that is directly in front of me so I can fire an aim-120.

I can lock a target at range, close and fire my first missile, get the kill if possible but I'm being slaughtered by the other guy. I can't lock him up without going heads down, but i need to maneuver and keep my eyes on him.

I can get a Aim-9 lock, but I want to use an aim-120.

whether I'm in A/A, missile override, or dogfight mode pressing tms up doesn't lock anything.:joystick: the best I get is a gun lock when I get close. I'm carrying my second Aim-120 for nothing.

I'm so used to using boresight in the hornet, it's easy, but it feels like there is no such thing in the Viper or something. I can't find anything on getting a short range lock, and the missle swap button on my warthog hotas doesn't seem to do anything either.

Please help me with this, please could someone give me a step by step walk through as if I'm an idiot child that can only use small words, preferably someone with the warthog running the default ED control scheme as I am, because frankly I feel like an idiot here.

Thanks in advance.:helpsmilie:

When in Dogfight mode the Viper will lock the first target it sees within 10 miles regardless of what missiles you have onboard. That IS NOT happening now as you said. Also, you should be able to switch from DFGT to MRM or MRM to DFGT while locked on a contact and it stays locked but switches from AIM9 to AIM 120 or the reverse. It's one of many bugs that I'm sure will be sorted but anoying as hell right now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I had the same problem as OP. How do I get a lock for Aim120 in Dogfight Mode? I too was used the simple way in the hornet with sensor control up when in ACM Boresight, what is the corresponding way in the viper? TMS up or down only gets me into Gun Reticle mode, and uncage button obviously only works with Aim9 Missiles.

I7 8700K 3.7 GHz 32GB RAM NVIDIA RTX 3080 Rift S

AFAIK, If you have a lock target in STT or in TWS and you press Dog Fight Switch (ACM), it should maintain the lock. It won't do that currently, our options are:

Switch to ACM, radar will be off ( as it should if the radar is not tracking a contact)

TMS Up with Helmet mounted Cuing System (HMCS), will tell the RADAR to look where the HMCS is looking.

So, press TMS up and hold, look at the target and place it in the HMCS ACM bore symbol (oval with cross in the center) Let go of TMS up, the radar will start looking. If it detects a target it will lock it. The radar should not transmit until TMS up is release.

TMS aft, ACM should enter 10X60 search. a second press of the TMS aft should enter 30x20 No Rad (meaning radar is not emitting)

TMS Right should enter 30X20 ( HUD FOV)

To enter ACM slew, move the cursor enable in the X and Y axis (not currently modeled in Open beta 2.5.6.43931)

I have not tried TMS up in ACM with HMCS off.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Gun lock = radar lock. In dogfight mode the default missile is the sidewinder if you have one but you can switch to the amraam with a long press on the nws button. So if you have a gun lock all you have to do is switch to amraam and fire. Just dont be too close.

AFAIK, If you have a lock target in STT or in TWS and you press Dog Fight Switch (ACM), it should maintain the lock.

This how it works IRL. We are also missing DLZ in DGFT mode.

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

Gun lock = radar lock. In dogfight mode the default missile is the sidewinder if you have one but you can switch to the amraam with a long press on the nws button. So if you have a gun lock all you have to do is switch to amraam and fire. Just dont be too close.

Ok, so gun lock in DGFT mode works also as boresight lock for Aim120? Hm ok thanks, was unsure if that works as a lock, because it rather seemed like the missile so is fired in pitbull mode (so it could hit my wingman for example if he is too close)

I7 8700K 3.7 GHz 32GB RAM NVIDIA RTX 3080 Rift S

Ok, so gun lock in DGFT mode works also as boresight lock for Aim120? Hm ok thanks, was unsure if that works as a lock, because it rather seemed like the missile so is fired in pitbull mode (so it could hit my wingman for example if he is too close)

You can even fire it maddog, but bare in mind that it will look on to the first thing its sees.

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

Boresight and most ACM modes dont work as intended both in the Viper and Hornet. It only lock reliably if you look directly at the target and THEN pull up the boresight mode or vertical scan mode. If you have been in BORE or VS for a while and scan the sky with it, it is very unreliable and sometimes doesn't lock anything at all. Only way is to keep resetting it.

Switch to MRM mode from dogfight mode. You’ll lose lock if you had It....but otherwise, TMS up (then one click down which does make it work) will have you in boresight mode with Aim-120

Hornet is definitely waaaay more intuitive.

Losing lock has been reported as defect already.

You should *never* lose a lock when just switching DGFT/MRM/AA mode.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

OK so what I find is, dogfight mode FWD for gun lock, TMS up for bore sight, will lock target and then activate the aim9 seekers. If you long press on the cycle weapon button it will switch between AIM9 or Aim120, a short press cycles weapon pylons of that missile type.

^ This is the correct answer ^

Personally I go ACM mode, TMS right for HUD scan, then long press of the NWS/MissileStep button to switch to AIM-120. Hold pickle button -- target dies.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...