P-38 Lightning - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-14-2020, 08:31 PM   #31
pmiceli

As my signature makes very obvious, a well modeled P-38 would be a dream come true in DCS.

As a bonus, the counter rotating engines would make the lack of appropriate torque effects in propeller driven DCS aircraft pretty much a non-issue, except when single engine where the torqueless FM would make it easier than real life.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:29 PM   #32
CaptJodan

I could certainly understand the need for something like a Zero before the P-38 (to have some foes), but this aircraft should probably be near the top of the WWII development list. It would certainly round out the top 3 late war US land-based aircraft used during the conflict.

A childhood favorite of mine, to be sure.
CaptJodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:40 PM   #33
Ercoupe

"(to have some foes)"
As has been pointed out, already, the airplane does not need a Zero to have an oppponant in here. It was used in Europe. It was used in North Africa. It was used in Italy. It has "foes." The 109 and 190. Why would we have to wait for a Zero before we can fly a P-38 in here?
Ercoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:58 PM   #34
ac5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviscerador View Post
Come on, the last one of the american "Pursuit trio" and the fighter with most japanese air kills in the Pacific Theatre. Also one of the few WW2 fighters to be produced along the whole war.

Twin turbosupercharged engines, unmistakeable profile, deadly nose armament and capable of either long range fighter sweeps, interception, bombing and strafing, all on the same package.

It needs to be in the game.

Completely agree!
Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB
Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K
1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB
1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 1 TB
Windows 10 - 64
CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals
ac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:50 PM   #35
alado

I want one
alado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:58 PM   #36
Jester986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ercoupe View Post
"(to have some foes)"
As has been pointed out, already, the airplane does not need a Zero to have an oppponant in here. It was used in Europe. It was used in North Africa. It was used in Italy. It has "foes." The 109 and 190. Why would we have to wait for a Zero before we can fly a P-38 in here?
Because we're talking about the Pacific theater here. While it would be great that it can pull double duty in both theaters and its fair to mention that, a conversation strictly about its European merits belongs in that sub forum. Because of the maps we have inbound and the likely focus on carrier combat priority for Pacific aircraft should be given to the most influential of that campaign. Otherwise it would be like if I went on the European subforum and said we needed the F4F because they flew off British carriers and did fleet protection during the invasion.
Jester986 is offline   Reply With Quote