MiG-29's BFM characteristics / doubts - Page 8 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-05-2020, 09:19 PM   #71
Top Jockey

Ironhand and everyone, you have done a lot and cleared my doubts - thank you for your time and effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhand View Post
The JF-17 can rate it's nose faster than the MiG-29 in the sim.
Yes I suppose it can, as in the mission I posted, I had difficult to keep at his 6, because in no time my MiG-29 was always loosing energy.
(But as we all know, I can not directly compare the MiG-29 vs JF-17 performances, as the last was flown by the AI.)

Quote:
Also the Su-27 can rate it's nose faster than the MiG-29. So you should have an easier time in a two-circle fight (rate fight) in the Su-27 than the MiG-29.
This really was the center of the matter, and during my experiments it was that what I perceived - in the Su-27 I felt that when pulling on the stick, one could "sling" its nose up in a more unrestricted way than in the MiG.

And also, the Su-27 doesn't seem to bleed speed as quickly as the MiG in similar circumstances.
(Because of the reasons @bies mentioned at post #33.)

Quote:
That being as it may, I took your sample missions, deleted the adversary, and flew circles instead using your MiG-29A and Su-27. I left the rest of the mission as it was. So your altitudes, fuel states, etc were used. Here are the numbers I got:

Su-27:
Sustained:
  • Turn Rate: 18°/sec @ 7.5 Gs
  • Turn Radius: 750 m
Instantaneous:
  • Turn Rate: 29°/sec @ 10 Gs (Yes, I severely over-G'd the airframe)
  • Turn Radius: 375 m

MiG-29A:
Sustained:
  • Turn Rate: 18.5°/sec @ 6.75 Gs
  • Turn Radius: 550 m
Instantaneous:
  • Turn Rate: 25°/sec @ 9.5 Gs
  • Turn Radius: 375 m

So, if I were in the MiG-29 and was fighting an Su-27, I'd make it a one circle fight where I can use my sustained turn radius to my advantage. None of this adress the JF-17 but I might find time to take that up at another time after I learn how to get more out of it.
Thank you for the numbers - indeed they are close to others I've read throught the web on some instances.
The Instantaneous Turn Rate numbers, show a clear superiority of the Flanker on those circumstances.

Regarding the MiG-29's ITR, did you use the paddle switch when attaining those 25º/sec ?

So in therms of turning capabilities, this pretty much sums it up for me, and explains why it felt easier to turn "at will" and also maintain energy easier in the Su-27.

On the JF-17, don't bother because of me, as it wasn't the focus of my performance evaluation, but merelly a comparison reference to evaluate the MiG against others.
Samsung 860 QVO
Win 7, 64 bit

HANGAR
FlamingCliffs 3 , MiG-21Bis , Mirage 2000C , F-14B , F/A-18C

Last edited by Top Jockey; 01-05-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Top Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:44 PM   #72
Auditor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov032186 View Post
''Russia conspiracy''
''Fake news''
''Russia Witch Hunt''
Yeah, yeah, we know @@
Let's be a little fair here, a lot of the FC3 modules have had some mistreatment. There is an entire thread full of Mig-29 bugs and problems that includes flight path markers drifting into space, and the SU-33 subforum has various problems like wings snapping off at relatively low negative G and the response we got was rather lacking. Some exasperation over it is totally justified. Especially when FC3 makes up so much of the composition of the game.
Auditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:23 PM   #73
Ironhand
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jockey View Post

Regarding the MiG-29's ITR, did you use the paddle switch when attaining those 25º/sec ?

Overroad the limiter for both the MiG-29 and Su-27. You won't get either ITR without doing it.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:36 AM   #74
flashben

doesn't the override limiter keybind for the mig29 only override 26degrees AoA only?
flashben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #75
Ironhand
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashben View Post
doesn't the override limiter keybind for the mig29 only override 26degrees AoA only?
It's referred to in the manual as an AoA/G limiter. The reason being that, until you're AoA exceeds 30+°, you're not going to come close to generating the G's necessary at corner to get the high turn rate. I got the highest rates at around 32-33° AoA.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Last edited by Ironhand; 01-14-2020 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Correct the AoA numbers in the final sentence
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote