F-4E WIP pics and version information! - Page 11 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-10-2017, 08:32 AM   #101
SNAFU

Reputation power: 18
SNAFU is a glorious beacon of lightSNAFU is a glorious beacon of lightSNAFU is a glorious beacon of lightSNAFU is a glorious beacon of lightSNAFU is a glorious beacon of lightSNAFU is a glorious beacon of lightSNAFU is a glorious beacon of lightSNAFU is a glorious beacon of lightSNAFU is a glorious beacon of lightSNAFU is a glorious beacon of lightSNAFU is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the "inside" stories!

Last edited by SNAFU; 08-10-2017 at 08:46 AM.
SNAFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:42 AM   #102
QuiGon
Veteran

Reputation power: 23
QuiGon is a glorious beacon of lightQuiGon is a glorious beacon of lightQuiGon is a glorious beacon of lightQuiGon is a glorious beacon of lightQuiGon is a glorious beacon of lightQuiGon is a glorious beacon of lightQuiGon is a glorious beacon of lightQuiGon is a glorious beacon of lightQuiGon is a glorious beacon of lightQuiGon is a glorious beacon of lightQuiGon is a glorious beacon of light

Indeed, these are some really great insights. I'm glad you are here sharing them with us. Thank you!

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #103
Knock-Knock

Reputation power: 8
Knock-Knock is just really niceKnock-Knock is just really niceKnock-Knock is just really niceKnock-Knock is just really niceKnock-Knock is just really niceKnock-Knock is just really niceKnock-Knock is just really niceKnock-Knock is just really niceKnock-Knock is just really niceKnock-Knock is just really niceKnock-Knock is just really nice

Dunno if this has been posted yet, but here goes:

I was really surprised to learn, that smart bombs had their introduction in Vietnam already. I always thought it was a Desert Storm thing, as in where they got deployed first.

| MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | i5-4670K @ 4.3Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 1600 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC | Samsung 850 Evo 250 & 500Gb | 40" Sony FullHD | Oculus Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick (19.5cm extension) & Throttle | MFG Crosswind | Windows 7-64 |
Knock-Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #104
MBot
Veteran

Reputation power: 52
MBot is a name known to allMBot is a name known to allMBot is a name known to allMBot is a name known to allMBot is a name known to allMBot is a name known to allMBot is a name known to allMBot is a name known to allMBot is a name known to allMBot is a name known to allMBot is a name known to all

In order to get a better understanding on the operational history of the late F-4Es I did some google excursions. Here is what I came up with (no guarantees for correctness):

The F-4E ARN-101 modification was introduced in the following units: The 3 TFW at Clark AB, the 4 TFW at Seymour Johnson AFB and the 52 TFW at Spangdahlem. The 4 TFW was the largest operator with 3 (temporary 4) full squadrons. The 52 TFW was the European Wild Weasel wing with 3 mixed squadrons, each having 12 F-4E and 12 F-4G. The 3 TFW was the Pacific Wild Weasel wing with one full F-4E squadron and one full F-4G squadron. In addition, the F-4E ARN-101 airframes were eventually also passed down to Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard units.

All 3 wings (3, 4 and 52 TFW) were using the GBU-15. It seems only the one F-4E squadron at Clark was equipped with the Pave Tack pod, therefore it seems that the other wings were not using laser guided bombs at all.
MBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #105
Svend_Dellepude

Reputation power: 16
Svend_Dellepude is just really niceSvend_Dellepude is just really niceSvend_Dellepude is just really niceSvend_Dellepude is just really niceSvend_Dellepude is just really niceSvend_Dellepude is just really niceSvend_Dellepude is just really niceSvend_Dellepude is just really niceSvend_Dellepude is just really niceSvend_Dellepude is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knock-Knock View Post
Dunno if this has been posted yet, but here goes:

I was really surprised to learn, that smart bombs had their introduction in Vietnam already. I always thought it was a Desert Storm thing, as in where they got deployed first.
Wow! That was a lot of destruction!!

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.
Svend_Dellepude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:57 PM   #106
Ice_Cougar

Reputation power: 2
Ice_Cougar will become famous soon enoughIce_Cougar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBot View Post
In order to get a better understanding on the operational history of the late F-4Es I did some google excursions. Here is what I came up with (no guarantees for correctness):

The F-4E ARN-101 modification was introduced in the following units: The 3 TFW at Clark AB, the 4 TFW at Seymour Johnson AFB and the 52 TFW at Spangdahlem. The 4 TFW was the largest operator with 3 (temporary 4) full squadrons. The 52 TFW was the European Wild Weasel wing with 3 mixed squadrons, each having 12 F-4E and 12 F-4G. The 3 TFW was the Pacific Wild Weasel wing with one full F-4E squadron and one full F-4G squadron. In addition, the F-4E ARN-101 airframes were eventually also passed down to Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard units.

All 3 wings (3, 4 and 52 TFW) were using the GBU-15. It seems only the one F-4E squadron at Clark was equipped with the Pave Tack pod, therefore it seems that the other wings were not using laser guided bombs at all.

In theory the other two wings could've been using Pave Spikes or Pave Knife pods for laser designation. Nice job researching though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ice_Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:03 PM   #107
Captain Spears

Reputation power: 4
Captain Spears is on a distinguished road

Thank you Belsimtek. This is literally a dream come true for me. Ever since I watched them fly out of UK bases throughout the 70s. Wow, just wow! I'll be first in line to purchase.
Captain Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:57 AM   #108
mvsgas
Veteran

Reputation power: 158
mvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud ofmvsgas has much to be proud of

CPU=Intel Core I3 7320, Mo/Bo= ASRock B250 Gaming K4, Memory DDR42400 pc4-19200 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V, video card=EVGA GTX 1060 SC, 6gb gddr 5, Joystick=Thrustmaster T-flight Stick X, Track IR, Win10 64
mvsgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:57 AM   #109
Kirk66

Reputation power: 3
Kirk66 has a spectacular aura aboutKirk66 has a spectacular aura aboutKirk66 has a spectacular aura aboutKirk66 has a spectacular aura aboutKirk66 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Cougar View Post
In theory the other two wings could've been using Pave Spikes or Pave Knife pods for laser designation. Nice job researching though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually no; when the F-4E was converted to the DMAS/ARN-101 avionics the Pave Spike controls were removed. And by that time all the Pave Knife pods were long gone, in museums. So Arny jets were limited to AGM-65s, GBU-15s, and at Clark in the 3rd, GBU-10/12s using the Pave Tack pod.

The LGB commitment largely went over to the F-111s which could really use the Pave Tack to it's full capability, and carry a lot of GBU-12s, as was demonstrated in DS 1 ("Tank Plinking").

Remember, in those days LGBs were relatively rare, and the main weapon was still the MK 82 and MK 84. The Arny jets could drop those things pretty accurately with CCIP and CCRP; about as good as the early F-16s, so that was our bread and butter. And we had a radar missile, which the Vipers didn't, so we could fight our way to the target area pretty well.

And the GBU-15 was a special treat.

Vulture
Kirk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #110
MemphisBelle

Reputation power: 30
MemphisBelle is a glorious beacon of lightMemphisBelle is a glorious beacon of lightMemphisBelle is a glorious beacon of lightMemphisBelle is a glorious beacon of lightMemphisBelle is a glorious beacon of lightMemphisBelle is a glorious beacon of lightMemphisBelle is a glorious beacon of lightMemphisBelle is a glorious beacon of lightMemphisBelle is a glorious beacon of lightMemphisBelle is a glorious beacon of lightMemphisBelle is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to MemphisBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by some1 View Post
Very nice, but the list of features and state of WIP pictures tell me one thing....

not this year.
If the development timeframe will be similar to the F-18 then I´d rather state...not this decade

common questions? Read the ED Wiki
unanswered Support ticket? --> solution
Are you looking for specific information to certain Modules? --> check the DCS World Root page on the ED Wiki
MemphisBelle is offline   Reply With Quote