Combat is frustrating! - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #21
probad

Reputation power: 8
probad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really nice

german pilots also got waxed while trying to land back in 1945. im sure they found it more frustrating than you do.
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:17 PM   #22
amazingme

Reputation power: 4
amazingme has a spectacular aura aboutamazingme has a spectacular aura aboutamazingme has a spectacular aura aboutamazingme has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
Set the AI to average that way it's more bearable.

[...]

As for the visibility - I find it realistic in 2.1 BS is running with a labels mod, so press shift +F10 when you start flying, and you will see a tiny black dot that makes spotting quite realistic.
...through the canopy, realistic?
Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, Saitek X55 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, 27" monitor, TN panel, 1920x1080

Settings:
Spoiler:
2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5
amazingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #23
Accipiter

Reputation power: 9
Accipiter is a jewel in the roughAccipiter is a jewel in the roughAccipiter is a jewel in the roughAccipiter is a jewel in the roughAccipiter is a jewel in the roughAccipiter is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcet View Post
Echoing some previous posts, I don't think DCS WWII is in that great of a state right now. The AI just doesn't work. The damage model, flight physics, and AI awareness make more sense in modern air combat (Flaming Cliffs, where they originate from) but translate very poorly to WWII.

The AI has total control over their prop planes even in the worst situations. Not much was as frustrating as my first few P-51 vs Fw-190 fights where the 190 would just pull vertical with full power, ignoring engine management and then maintain full control down to single digit airspeeds. Then there is also their ability to soak up nearly limitless shells unless you can repeatedly aim like a laser on the same spot or kill the pilot.

Their awareness is something else and I don't see it mentioned often. Once the AI spots you, they basically have F-35 DAS and can't lose you. Even worse though is that they can read your cockpit instruments. They'll adjust to whatever is the perfect speed/altitude/whatever to counter what you're doing instantly. I think this really needs to change. They need to have some level of fallibility. It will make them less frustrating and less repetitive.

Just FYI for anyone that does not know, the key commands allow you to shortcut specific commands. You can bind the cover me option to a key directly to press it more quickly, which can be important with friendly AI being a bit sluggish and clumsy.
That sums up the current state of play very nicely!

I would add, that if you read the records of post D-Day air combat ( look at Bunyap's You Tube channel, he has done historical videos of the day to day life in a Spitfire squadron), you see that large dogfight's, never occurred. Those were the Battle of Britain days. Most encounters were very brief dogfight's, with the Luftwaffe aircraft able to disengage at will and scoot for their forward bases. The 109/190 had greater speed than the Spit/Pony. If we had the Thunderbolt or Typhoon/Tempest we may be able to catch them?

If you fly for the Luftwaffe, you can re create interception of the Flying Forts. I believe ED have activated the B-17 turret gunners, although I have not tested that yet!

Cheers.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:30 PM   #24
Aluminum Donkey

Aluminum Donkey has a spectacular aura aboutAluminum Donkey has a spectacular aura aboutAluminum Donkey has a spectacular aura aboutAluminum Donkey has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Am I the only one who finds combat in WWII scenarios frustrating?
This is my experience:
1) I go into Instant Action Normandy Dogfight, for example, and, as always in these missions, my wingman is immediately shot down, and I am easily hunted down by the 2 109s. So, I edit the mission to just have me and 1 109, also setting unlimited ammo on. Then, I can avoid him for ever in dives, climbs, turns, etc., but hardly ever able to get him in my sights. This becomes rather tedious. If I let up for a few seconds, it's thud thud thud and I'm in the dirt! However, if I do manage to get him in my sights, I can pound away (remember unlimited ammo), hit him dozens of times, make white smoke come from him, then black smoke, and he's still diving and climbing away. Seems that I have to hit him hundreds of times to finally get him down. Now, 2 things there. firstly, don't know how this could be done without unlimited ammo, and secondly, it seems to me that I only need to take one hit to go down and he takes dozens!
2) My (limited experience) of multi-player. I went on BURNING SKIES Caucasus a few times, and the first few times, I flew to a target, checking constantly for enemy planes, often reached the ground targets, made a few kills and headed for home, still checking at all times for enemy planes. Every time, without warning, thud thud thud and I'm gone! Dead and buried by a 190 or 109 that I didn't see. So, I decided to visit the server at quiet times on BS and concentrate on ground targets. I even managed to get into the top 30 one month!
3) Brings me to the often discussed subject of visibility. I find it almost impossible to see any aircraft more than 2 miles away, and even less when looking over terrain, especially Normandy. With missions, I always try without labels, but inevitably lose the targets and switch them on.
I love the whole DCS experience, but am finding the WWII combat frustrating. So much so, that I just avoid it now if I can. I know my combat skills are not the best, but I'm not that bad!
It wouldn't be 'combat' if it was so easy that anyone could do it.

War is hell man, soldier on

Peace
AD
Asus Z170-P, i5-6600k at ~4.5 GHz (right now) w/ CM Hyper 212 EVO, 2 x 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 4 @ 3000MHz 15-15-15-35, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, Viewsonic 27" 1920 x 1080 single screen, TM Cougar HOTAS, thinking about building a nice set of rudder pedals for the Cougar

Flying: The art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!
Aluminum Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:30 PM   #25
oreste

Reputation power: 0
oreste is on a distinguished road

My advice to you: use your weapons at a short distance, they are more effective. Bf 109 has 30 balls and is also effective from the most distant. 20 mm or 7.7 British. Good hunting
oreste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:33 PM   #26
badbud

badbud is on a distinguished road

Agree: and the reason that I have jumped the DCS ship for the moment and am flying CoD (TS) Spits and enjoying less frustration. Am still a fan of DCS, but will wait it out and not spend more $ till more of the bugs are worked out.
BadBud
badbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #27
The Black Swan

Reputation power: 5
The Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the roughThe Black Swan is a jewel in the rough

Damage model is being worked on but it is not impossible to shoot down planes, especially player flown ones in multiplayer.
Visibility could be improved, but the new lighting in 2.1 has improved slightly already.
Maybe better contrast between Aircraft and the ground would help. However visibility in DCS is not as far from realistic as some people would have you think (some of the problem lies in the Monitor being smaller than real life field of view)

In short..... git guud
Old 08-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #28
Vino

Reputation power: 3
Vino will become famous soon enoughVino will become famous soon enough

DCS is a combat simulator... well not for me. I do not do combat. I just fly around and enjoy. I suck at dogfighting. Even average AI shots me down every time.

Last edited by Vino; 08-14-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Vino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #29
Solty

Reputation power: 8
Solty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the roughSolty is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
That sums up the current state of play very nicely!

I would add, that if you read the records of post D-Day air combat ( look at Bunyap's You Tube channel, he has done historical videos of the day to day life in a Spitfire squadron), you see that large dogfight's, never occurred. Those were the Battle of Britain days. Most encounters were very brief dogfight's, with the Luftwaffe aircraft able to disengage at will and scoot for their forward bases. The 109/190 had greater speed than the Spit/Pony. If we had the Thunderbolt or Typhoon/Tempest we may be able to catch them?

If you fly for the Luftwaffe, you can re create interception of the Flying Forts. I believe ED have activated the B-17 turret gunners, although I have not tested that yet!

Cheers.
Every Mustang was faster than any 109G and Fw190A during the time of Normandy landings.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.
My channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyA..._Sqdc0IKJuv6dA
Solty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #30
DeepDrummer

Reputation power: 2
DeepDrummer will become famous soon enoughDeepDrummer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino View Post
I do not do combat. I just fly around and enjoy. I suck at dogfighting. DCS is a combat simulator... well not for me. Even average AI shots me down every time.
It is a great flight model. I'd buy a C-47 and fly cargo and still be happy. Very happy! Mind you they had a pile of guns too
For me the differences in performance from one build to another, one plane to another, one era to another, one map or mission to another and one server to another don't scream out at me to want to jump up and fly it much in a multiplayer environment.
As a Spitfire flier, it's just a die-fest for me.
No doubt my hardware, skill level and internet connection hinder me a bit and further along the development line, I will invest further probably but for now, I am in a holding pattern until the AI gets evened up a bit.
As Clint Eastwood once said "dying ain't much of a living".
Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 16 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, BENQ XL2720Z monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA GTX 980 4 gig video. TM Hotas Wartog. MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.
DeepDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote