gtx1070 and normandy - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #31
OnlyforDCS

Reputation power: 13
OnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really nice

GTX970 here. Quick report back after latest update. Unlike voodooman, I still have to have shadows set to flat only in cockpit to maintain relatively stable 60FPS, at similar settings. Still Im satisfied with the performance, this is with the Spitfire which is graphically the most demanding module currently.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #32
Ralphk

Reputation power: 8
Ralphk is on a distinguished road

Great thread, it really helped me remove stuttering... i have a 1070 and my frame rate is above 60... sometimes drops to 50 or 45 but way better than before... i think what really helped is the Nvidia settings. i hope the map gets more optimization from ED. Big Thanks!
Ralphk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:32 AM   #33
DoomEngine

Reputation power: 2
DoomEngine has a spectacular aura aboutDoomEngine has a spectacular aura aboutDoomEngine has a spectacular aura aboutDoomEngine has a spectacular aura about

<---GTX 1060 user. Out of curiosity I thought I would try these settings to see if I could squeeze anything else out of 1.5, and it works...BRILLIANTLY. I will report back with 2.1 findings, but thank you OP, you've made my experience in DCS much smoother. This should be stickied for users experiencing stutter and dont know where to start (like myself). Thanks again!
Old 08-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #34
petsild

Reputation power: 3
petsild will become famous soon enoughpetsild will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromachi View Post
Got my 1080Ti, copied your settings and then raised the bar a bit. Plus I took DSR to crank resolution to 1440p and game gives me stable and fluent 70-120 FPS with Fast Sync. It's absolutely amazing right now, though price was "amazing" as well.

I've tried 4k but it doesnt really seem to scale well to that res for me and frames dipped below 60 which is not what I want, so for the time being I will settle with 1440p.
Hi, I read that you're using a Fast sync, asked for your exact settings in the NCP. If I use the fast sync, I have massive stuttering.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #35
voodooman

voodooman will become famous soon enoughvoodooman will become famous soon enoughvoodooman will become famous soon enough

first off, it makes me very glad to hear that i have been able to be of help atleast to some of you

secondly, i been trying out different setting in Nvidia controlpanel again after the new update, and it seems that setting the prerendered frames to 1 still has the biggest positive effect.

triple buffers are more important, more often your fps drops below your screen refreshrate (with me 60Hz = 60 fps) when v-sync is enabled. alltough i seem to get slightly smoother track ir panning with it even when frames stay stable.

about the gamma correction, im not sure if it has any value to set it off anymore, but i feel the hud/sight glass has less "flaming" on it's edges when it's off, so im keeping it off.

The trilinear optimization off, i honestly don't see any benefits from it that i could point out, but no negatives either so im keeping it off as i dont use any anisotropic filtering, and that leaves the filtering to trilinear alone, so setting it off keeps it trilinear allways, instead of altering between bilinear and trilinear. i think it might help to reduce stutters sometimes, even tough im not 100% sure of it.

tried without v-sync and noticed that even tough generally i get better frames with this new build, i get these sudden fps drops to 20's! (when with v-sync it never goes that low), and my gpu clocks go down with the fps during these drops, which i find very odd.
it would suggest that cpu is bottlenecking when trying to keep higher frames, but cpu loads still never reach 100% and the drops are not there when v-sync is enabled.
so i would call it "processing bottlenecking" rather than processor bottlenecking, and i'd say it's code related more than hardware related.

i aslo noticed that the cpu cores (4) in my build get more even loads with the new build than the previous when v-sync is not enabled, especially when flying low, and with other aircraft visible.
1 core is still clearly dominant and another still slightly above the remaining 2, but the remaining 2 seem reacting more than before. propably ED is trying different things to optimize the cpu usage to get higher frames. so far it produces these drops for me, but im sure in the future we will benefit from these experiments, that's what alpha builds are for anyways.

thanks for your feedback, I keep testing with every build and report my findings.

Last edited by voodooman; 08-12-2017 at 11:05 AM.
voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #36
BuzzU

Reputation power: 16
BuzzU has a spectacular aura aboutBuzzU has a spectacular aura aboutBuzzU has a spectacular aura aboutBuzzU has a spectacular aura about

I guess im lucky. I only have a 1060 card and just hit the High graphic button and leave it all as is with 8x AA and 16X AF. I don't use vsync and hold around 80fps and no stutters for 2.1. The same setup in 1.57 gets 120-160fps. Setup in Nvidia CP is the default. A single screen at 1920x1080.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
BuzzU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #37
voodooman

voodooman will become famous soon enoughvoodooman will become famous soon enoughvoodooman will become famous soon enough

tonight at burning skies with 16 pilots in game. was in few really awesome furballs and everything was really smooth. the image is from third flight at the server.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #38
Ralphk

Ralphk is on a distinguished road

clearly its a code issue... hopefully ED will do something about it!
Ralphk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #39
MegOhm_SD

Reputation power: 12
MegOhm_SD is just really niceMegOhm_SD is just really niceMegOhm_SD is just really niceMegOhm_SD is just really niceMegOhm_SD is just really niceMegOhm_SD is just really niceMegOhm_SD is just really niceMegOhm_SD is just really niceMegOhm_SD is just really nice

I have a new 1080ti.

I have no real issues but willing to try these settings if there are benefits.

Has anything changed or does the Origonal settings by the OP still stand since the latest patches?
Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Test Bench, ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 65" Samsung 4k 8 Series, Oculus Rift!, Win 10
MegOhm_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #40
voodooman

latest version runs well without v-sync and with default settings in nvidia control panel, fps stays relatively high, average 90 in multiplayer and track ir reacts very fast without lag.

but panning slowly still has slight micro stutter. also looking to the side (looking at passing ground textures) i get the micro stutter. basically slow moving graphics in your field of view stutters

so if you dont use v-sync and use track ir so that you pan quickly to a point, and then move your pov to a new point again quickly, and you dont mind slight stutter when lookin to your sides, you're well off with default settings.

however if you like to look around panning slowly like me, and look at the beatiful scenery passing by (to your sides), the smoothest experience is still achieved with v-sync on (in game) and settings prerendered frames to 1 and enabling triple buffering (Nvidia CP).

disabling AA gamma correction at least in theory reduces some memory bandwidth usage that increases slightly from enabling triple buffering, and as disabling it doesn't have any negative effects i would disable it if triple buffers is in use.

disabling trilinear optimation keeps the work flow of the gpu more stable as it prevents altering between trilinear and bilinear filtering. i would disable it if you use triple buffering so that every frame in (all) buffers is the same.
for the same reason i suggest using "every frame" option in res.of cockpit displays(in game settings) if triple buffers is in use.

as an addition to settings posted originally you might want to try out enabling MFAA in nvidia control panel. i find that with in game AA set to 2 you get nearly level 4 AA with it, without any, or with very small performance hit.

Last edited by voodooman; 09-15-2017 at 03:00 PM.