"sound-radar"...official opinion on it? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: whats your opinion about the "sound radar"?
i like it, please keep it 11 11.11%
i dont like it, dont think its realistic, please get rid of it 88 88.89%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #31
Dr_Arrow

Reputation power: 16
Dr_Arrow is just really niceDr_Arrow is just really niceDr_Arrow is just really niceDr_Arrow is just really niceDr_Arrow is just really niceDr_Arrow is just really niceDr_Arrow is just really niceDr_Arrow is just really niceDr_Arrow is just really niceDr_Arrow is just really niceDr_Arrow is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
It is pretty silly to hear another prop plane from inside of another.

Once I did hear some aircraft from inside another, but I was inside a 737 at idle holding ahort and the other planes were F-16's taking off really close with full afterburner. Yeah, in that situation, you'd hear them.

A P-51 sneaking up behind a FW-190, who's pilot is sitting a few feet behind a V-12 at 2600 RPM at high altitude? Probably not.

If we're going for realism, there is only one correct option.

I feel bad for people trying to spot targets...I'm one of them. But, hey, TrackIR sells for a reason and we don't have an auto-padlock key for people who don't own one.

Go real or go home, as they say...or at least go to War Thunder or Ace Combat.
+1
Dr_Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #32
golani79

Reputation power: 5
golani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the roughgolani79 is a jewel in the rough

I hope they get rid off the sound radar - it´s just really annoying if you sneak up on someone who doesn´t see you but breaks away in the last moment because he can hear you.

I can´t imagine that it would be that hard to find a solution for the problem.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #33
Nate--IRL--
Veteran

Reputation power: 181
Nate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud of

I believe this arises from the Dynamic compression used by the Sound engine. This was an improvement made in the early DCS days and one I've hated ever since.

It Dynamically normalises the Volume of Sounds in the game world. It is like the compression used for the "Loudness wars" on digital music. The Most dramatic effect of which can be felt on the Supersonic Boom of an aircraft Flyby.

In LockOn this was a thunderous Boom, with plenty of Dynamic Range between quiet and loud, in DCS it sounds like a wet fart. The Current sound engine normalizes quiet sound up in volume and noisy sounds down, in real time, in order to avoid clipping.

This strips all sound in DCS of all Dynamic range, removing detail from the sound-scape and produces oddities such as Sound Radar.

From Speaking to c0ff about this very issue (quite some time ago though), it is unlikely to be fixed.

Nate
Old 12-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #34
DefaultFace

Reputation power: 0
DefaultFace can only hope to improveDefaultFace can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate--IRL-- View Post
From Speaking to c0ff about this very issue (quite some time ago though), it is unlikely to be fixed.
e
Sad to hear this. Strangely enough I know of at least one sound mod for the 109 (IDB v2.0 by 5utka) that manages to fix it. It's possible he just made the engine so loud in comparison that you couldn't hear it anymore. TBH idc how ED does it but since it is clearly possible by modders I would hope that they could get it done as well....

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS
DefaultFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #35
Aginor
Veteran

Reputation power: 24
Aginor is a glorious beacon of lightAginor is a glorious beacon of lightAginor is a glorious beacon of lightAginor is a glorious beacon of lightAginor is a glorious beacon of lightAginor is a glorious beacon of lightAginor is a glorious beacon of lightAginor is a glorious beacon of lightAginor is a glorious beacon of lightAginor is a glorious beacon of lightAginor is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah that's really bad.
EDIT: Fun fact: I thought that the really bad sounding sonic boom was an error of my speakers or sound card or something until I read about it...
Aginor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:48 PM   #36
gavagai

Reputation power: 10
gavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the roughgavagai is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultFace View Post
Sad to hear this. Strangely enough I know of at least one sound mod for the 109 (IDB v2.0 by 5utka) that manages to fix it. It's possible he just made the engine so loud in comparison that you couldn't hear it anymore. TBH idc how ED does it but since it is clearly possible by modders I would hope that they could get it done as well....
You can still hear other aircraft near you with his mod if you idle your engine. But otherwise, yeah, it is an improvement.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #37
DefaultFace

DefaultFace can only hope to improveDefaultFace can only hope to improve

Ok. Tbh I would prefer hearing them at idle to hearing them always though. The time where hearing aircraft makes the most difference is when being Boom and Zoomed. Usually aircraft are running at at least cruise power then so i'd guess it would at least solve that problem.

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS
DefaultFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:07 AM   #38
Cripes'A'Mighty

Cripes'A'Mighty is on a distinguished road

Any update or comment on this? It is incredibly important this gets fixed from a tactical perspective.
Cripes'A'Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:59 AM   #39
Echo38

Reputation power: 18
Echo38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of lightEcho38 is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah. I've been saying for years, this is the largest flaw with DCS as a simulator, by far. All of the other flaws with the simulation of each aircraft are relatively little things, but this is big and global. Richthofen himself couldn't have replicated his success in DCS, because of this sound physics error.
Echo38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #40
9./JG26_Brigg

Reputation power: 3
9./JG26_Brigg has a spectacular aura about9./JG26_Brigg has a spectacular aura about9./JG26_Brigg has a spectacular aura about9./JG26_Brigg has a spectacular aura about

yeah this needs to be sorted as it totally kills the element of suprise in the BnZ
9./JG26_Brigg is offline   Reply With Quote