A/A Radar Locking Wrong Target

Wicked.-

All AAMs have PN.

There's always a risk, but it should at least make the missile more reliable, so we don't need to carry the AIM-7. We kinda opened a can of worms, I'm already thinking about terminal guidance changes, Pro-Nav for the 120, lofting profiles. Sigh...

Btw, proportional navigation was only implemented for the AIM-7, while the 120 still doesn't have it, right?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

All AAMs have PN.
Right now, in DCS? I mean, they fly an intercept trajectory, but at least in the case of the AMRAAM, if the target is not head-on, it always ends up behind the target's path and has to turn a lot in the terminal phase, in order to hit them. That wouldn't be necessary if the missile flew a better intercept trajectory that put it in the path of the target.

I did a test yesterday, with a MiG-29 flying like a drone (level flight, no reaction to threat), at a ~30 degree aspect from me. I launched an AMRAAM from my Hornet and it had to turn 45 degrees in the terminal phase, in order to hit the target, losing a lot of energy in the process. There was a post from another user that had the same findings.

Maybe it's a question of optimizing the existing PN algorithm then?

EDIT: I educated myself and indeed found out that all AAMs do have PN right now. There are other guidance issues, such as pulling 15G immediately after coming off the rail in some cases, but that's another story.

Edited by Harker

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Another thing is that IRL the radar is able to adjust itself automatically if you command a lock on a MSI trackfile that's not detected by your own radar (donated contact that appears on the radar scope). The MC knows the BRA of the target (because you got it through the Datalink) and feeds this information to the radar that in turn adjusts itself for correct antenna elevation etc.

We don't have that in the sim yet, but it's reported.

How do you know that?? I dont think there is any unclassified document talking about that part specifically and I doubt any real pilot would comment about that. On the only unclassified document talking about radar on the f18, there is no mention that the radar would adjust itself to lock a MSI trackfile.

A lot of info that people claims to be IRL info is just what is/was implemented in the F/A-18E superbug from VRS.

How do you know that?? I dont think there is any unclassified document talking about that part specifically and I doubt any real pilot would comment about that. On the only unclassified document talking about radar on the f18, there is no mention that the radar would adjust itself to lock a MSI trackfile.

A lot of info that people claims to be IRL info is just what is/was implemented in the F/A-18E superbug from VRS.

It was from a private conversation I had with a pilot (not US). He mentioned the capability in similar systems. Not specifically for a USN Lot 20 Hornet with OFP 13C, but for aircraft of similar tech level, using similar systems. I'd rather not be more specific than this.

That post was a reasonable extrapolation on my part, based on that conversation. I have edited the post to avoid any confusion. It'd be cool to have, but only if our Hornet indeed had it IRL.

Edited by Harker

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

It was from a private conversation I had with a pilot (not US). He mentioned the capability in similar systems. Not specifically for a USN Lot 20 Hornet with OFP 13C, but for aircraft of similar tech level, using similar systems. I'd rather not be more specific than this.

That post was a reasonable extrapolation on my part, based on that conversation. I have edited the post to avoid any confusion. It'd be cool to have, but only if our Hornet indeed had it IRL.

Got it. Sorry.. I just assumed you were basing on that manual.. which a lot of people surprisingly do and say it's REAL LIFE hornet.

I dont think it will auto acquire. but to be fair,, it's not that hard if u have your SA page to see the bandit's info. right?

regarding the topic of this thread,, there are lots of assumptions here.. without a track everyone's opinion is based on your bias only.

There are so many variables playing in here, search bars, azimuth, range, MP desync, radar masking, notch, etc etc..

From my experience in game, if you are locking an bandit that mask ur radar, and there is another contact (bandit or friendly) in the radar scope it will lock the other contact.. if it's like that IRL i dont know..

in MP what happens a lot is that people shoot with friendlies in between, and if that bandit dies or mask, 120s will track the closest contact.

People shot merged friendlies, kill a friendly and ask if the friendly had the IFF on coz he had a diamond on the hud...

Got it. Sorry.. I just assumed you were basing on that manual.. which a lot of people surprisingly do and say it's REAL LIFE hornet.

I dont think it will auto acquire. but to be fair,, it's not that hard if u have your SA page to see the bandit's info. right?

regarding the topic of this thread,, there are lots of assumptions here.. without a track everyone's opinion is based on your bias only.

There are so many variables playing in here, search bars, azimuth, range, MP desync, radar masking, notch, etc etc..

From my experience in game, if you are locking an bandit that mask ur radar, and there is another contact (bandit or friendly) in the radar scope it will lock the other contact.. if it's like that IRL i dont know..

in MP what happens a lot is that people shoot with friendlies in between, and if that bandit dies or mask, 120s will track the closest contact.

People shot merged friendlies, kill a friendly and ask if the friendly had the IFF on coz he had a diamond on the hud...

You did well to ask. For all you knew, I could be pulling stuff out of thin air and just trying to add uneralistic capabilities that I wanted. I'm sorry I cannot provide more detailed info, but I don't comfortable doing so. As for the superbug, I don't really pay attention to it, as I don't know how accurate it is.

And I agree, it's not easy to determine what exactly happened without a Tacview file from the server. I also think a lot of these issues would be avoided if people tried to operate more realistically, using comms and making sure they don't fire with friendlies downrange. That's how I like flying, I can't speak for everybody. Sometimes in MP, trying to do things by the book can actually leave you at a disadvantage against someone that plays very aggressively. You risk neither your life nor a court martial if you do something wrong. It's going to be a mixed bag, unless you fly with a dedicated group, maybe.

-

The "captains bars" literally represent the range and azimuth the radar is to acquire and lock a target.

Even if another target exist on the same bearing but different range, the radar should ignore it.

The radar should either lock whatever is inside the captains bar, or nothing at all.

That would be my thinking as well and honestly it's ridiculous to think otherwise. Also, it seems to work fine in the FC3 Eagle.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

The "captains bars" literally represent the range and azimuth the radar is to acquire and lock a target.

Even if another target exist on the same bearing but different range, the radar should ignore it.

The radar should either lock whatever is inside the captains bar, or nothing at all.

++

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

+1

-