DCS: F-14 - Brickdust's "Drunken Sailor" VR Friendly Cockpit

Fubarbrickdust

hey Fubarbrickdust, thanks for the mod! This days I´ve been trying to learn the RIO office and it´s almost impossible to differenciate when a button is pressed or not, as I barely can see the text lights. I hope your mod solves this.

I can personally guarantee that that the mod will leave you without any question as to wether a RIO pit button is active or not!! :thumbup:

I know this because it was the hardest part to implement, and a personal milestone for the mod...took me quite some days to get right and looking clean!

Great mod indeed! I wish I could use it with IC check ok.

Does heatblur need to implement it for this to work in mp?

One question, though: Is it a proper cockpit mod? meaning, can it be selected in the options or it just replaces de vanilla files?

At the moment it's a dirty replace job for the vanilla files (packed OVGME ready mind you) so no 'Custom cockpit' option or IC pass I'm afraid. HB did an initial implementation for the option but, alas, it's broken and doesn't work...they have been informed/have acknowledged the issue but heaven knows how far down the list it is.

All the tools and knowhow are in place to convert it to the relevant structure, however. So the day the option works from a HB/ED side I'll drop in the IC compliant version.

Cheers,

Brick.

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

hey Fubarbrickdust, thanks for the mod! This days I´ve been trying to learn the RIO office and it´s almost impossible to differenciate when a button is pressed or not, as I barely can see the text lights. I hope your mod solves this.

One question, though: Is it a proper cockpit mod? meaning, can it be selected in the options or it just replaces de vanilla files?

Actual it is only replace the Vanille Textures.

But Brickdust is for Sure on the way to find the solution for the special tab.

But he has also much work in RL and so we will much longer wait as he would.

BTW i Love your mod Brick, Keep steady on it.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

Edited by Thewarblade

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic mod, took my F-14 experience to new heights in VR, beyond the clarity which is phenomenal it really gave the feeling that rather than sitting in some museum relic you were sitting in a maintained Tomcat treated with the appropriate love by the crew chief who you are borrowing the plane from.

Heatblur should seriously consider making this mod a standard option.

• 2 weeks later...

I really want to give this a go but don't currently use any other mods and since have not setup any kind of mod manager. Does anyone know how to install this/where to put the files if not using mod managers like I am?

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

I really want to give this a go but don't currently use any other mods and since have not setup any kind of mod manager. Does anyone know how to install this/where to put the files if not using mod managers like I am?
Use OVGME it is quite simple

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Is there still no custom cockpit livery option for the F-14???

OVGME is nice and all, but it's not integrity check friendly.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

• 2 months later...

I've been using this with passes IC for the last several patches.

In Saved games/dcs, add a directory called Liveries/F14B_Cockpit/default.

Inside of that, copy the .dds files and the description.lua file I've attached.

There may or may not be references in there to files not in the original mod, I can't quite remember if I've added any in all the playing around I've done to suit my particular tastes.

description.lua

• 4 weeks later...

There may or may not be references in there to files not in the original mod, I can't quite remember if I've added any in all the playing around I've done to suit my particular tastes.

You need to comment out line 12 in your description.lua file else the front panel on the RIO cockpit is missing texture.

livery = 
{
--Mod by Fubarbrickdust, conversion for IC check by Wrench.
--RIO/DiffuseRM
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_ANNUNC", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_ANNUNC",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_BUTTONLIGHTS_GREEN", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_BUTTONLIGHTS_GREEN",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_BUTTONLIGHTS_RED", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_BUTTONLIGHTS_RED",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_DDD_BUTTONS", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_DDD_BUTTONS",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_03", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_03",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_05", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_05",false};
--{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_08", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_08",false};
--{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_08", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_08 copy",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_08_RoughMet", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_08_RoughMet",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_09", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_09",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_09_RoughMet", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_09_RoughMet",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_rMainPanel", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_rMainPanel",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_ROLLERS", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_ROLLERS",false};
{"HB_F14_Datapanel", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_Datapanel",false};
{"HB_F14_RIO_rPanels", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_RIO_rPanels",false};

--Color
{"HB_F14_CPT_F110_PANEL", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_F110_PANEL",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_01", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_01",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_03", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_03",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_04", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_04",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_05", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_05",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_06", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_06",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_07", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_07",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_08", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_08",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_GAUGES", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_GAUGES",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_LIGHTS_PILOT", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_LIGHTS_PILOT",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RFRAME", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_RFRAME",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_R_UNDERBASE", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_R_UNDERBASE",false};

--Color/Nrm
{"HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_04_Nrm", 0 ,"/Color/Nrm/HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_04_Nrm",false};

--Color/RoughMet
{"HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_04_RoughMet", 0 ,"/Color/RoughMet/HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_04_RoughMet",false};

--glass
--{"HB_F14_CPT_CANOPYGLASS", 0, "/Color/HB_F14_CPT_CANOPYGLASS", false};
--{"HB_F14_CPT_CANOPYGLASS", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC, "/Color/RoughMet/HB_F14_CPT_CANOPYGLASS_RoughMet", false};
}

• 3 weeks later...

Just tried this mod and I want to say thank you as it's really useful in VR !

Quick question though !

I've tried the methode descibed above to pass the integrity check and being able to use it online but I have some texture bugs ingame.

May be that .lua file is not up to date regarding the last mod release. Can somebody help on that topic ?

SYSTEM SPECS: I7 9700K @ 5Ghz - 32 Gb RAM @ 3200 - RTX 2080 super - 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 - Windows 10 pro - HOTAS Warthog - HP Reverb

• 2 weeks later...
Nevermind I've corrected the Wrench's description.lua to include the files provided in the mod only

and now it works like a charm.

Can you please upload the lua file you edited and a view of the folder structure? Can't get it to work. Thanks.

Thanks for this!

Can you please upload the lua file you edited and a view of the folder structure? Can't get it to work. Thanks.

the folder structure looks like this under your username:

y4megcVPNol-OPpooWuKEwcSQKOMx-nVXNPQw2-8usd4HAjHEueV71rlpM_dk-tC9qZqnUEs93zZSObW5OQ6F3KvjSfIl8X1iwNa-rTSWQHXE56REPLoI65a_ld6QemmblzN_m5H9aUlOPIC6BJGNhCfnjG_Esg_OadmXm2yq3IQbypOMSmxqlKUK7pzs9RhC-5

then into each folder copy the Color and RIO folders from the appropriate Mod , Standard or Black Edition, with the modified description.lua file found here:

description.lua

you will end up with something like this:

y4mUq41NHo2TNeO_KXDARCglZleDX11pF2n-TRoUcZKwT65AHDfX5plY9It0R0CVE6Ls_GqQ08zjiMy5Uxm-1mHHsWbeFslt6YZoC1Ux6MHKOr-vxmonETXdJBe7w5x23blGAgdRQI5BsbYaLLpUIMyFSTI0lHY0KrUF9QcJB9zlIlVhqna-QoIRPETFyZITQGq

then go into DCS -> options -> special -> F-14B and select he cockpit you want from the Customized Cockpit drop down list

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Thanks for this!

the folder structure looks like this under your username:

y4megcVPNol-OPpooWuKEwcSQKOMx-nVXNPQw2-8usd4HAjHEueV71rlpM_dk-tC9qZqnUEs93zZSObW5OQ6F3KvjSfIl8X1iwNa-rTSWQHXE56REPLoI65a_ld6QemmblzN_m5H9aUlOPIC6BJGNhCfnjG_Esg_OadmXm2yq3IQbypOMSmxqlKUK7pzs9RhC-5

then into each folder copy the Color and RIO folders from the appropriate Mod , Standard or Black Edition, with the modified description.lua file found here:

description.lua

you will end up with something like this:

y4mUq41NHo2TNeO_KXDARCglZleDX11pF2n-TRoUcZKwT65AHDfX5plY9It0R0CVE6Ls_GqQ08zjiMy5Uxm-1mHHsWbeFslt6YZoC1Ux6MHKOr-vxmonETXdJBe7w5x23blGAgdRQI5BsbYaLLpUIMyFSTI0lHY0KrUF9QcJB9zlIlVhqna-QoIRPETFyZITQGq

then go into DCS -> options -> special -> F-14B and select he cockpit you want from the Customized Cockpit drop down list

Thank you!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello All, long time lurker, first time posting.

First I want to thank Brickdust for this mod, it really has made the tomcat more accessible and less frustrating to learn!!

I initially installed using OvGME and worked fine with exception of the integrity check. So followed stuartaston's advice above and got this mod working in the save games folder for single player, though I had to make a few mods to the descripton.lua file:

1. Mirrors were displaying one of the avionics panel textures, so I fixed it by adding this code at the end of the descripton.lua file that I tracked down in C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F14\Liveries\F14B_Cockpit\default\description.lua (based on this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=154534&page=2)

{"mirrors", 0 ,"mirrors",true};--mirrors texture replacement with runtime rendered one

2. I also had to uncomment line 11 and comment out line 12 as described by AbortedMan.

For the black edition the descripton.lua is:

livery = 
{
--RIO/DiffuseRM
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_BUTTONLIGHTS_GREEN", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_BUTTONLIGHTS_GREEN",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_BUTTONLIGHTS_RED", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_BUTTONLIGHTS_RED",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_DDD_BUTTONS", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_DDD_BUTTONS",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_03", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_03",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_05", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_05",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_08", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_08",false};
--{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_08", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_08 copy",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_08_RoughMet", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_08_RoughMet",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_09", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_09",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_09_RoughMet", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_09_RoughMet",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_rMainPanel", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_rMainPanel",false};

--Color
{"HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_01", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_01",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_07", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_07",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_08", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_08",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_RFRAME", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_RFRAME",false};
{"HB_F14_CPT_R_UNDERBASE", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_R_UNDERBASE",false};

--Color/Nrm

--Color/RoughMet
{"HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_04_RoughMet", 0 ,"/Color/RoughMet/HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_04_RoughMet",false};

--glass
--{"HB_F14_CPT_CANOPYGLASS", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC, "/Color/RoughMet/HB_F14_CPT_CANOPYGLASS_RoughMet", false};
{"mirrors", 0 ,"mirrors",true};--mirrors texture replacement with runtime rendered one
}

3. For the regular edition the descripton.lua needs the BE files commented out from the front cockpit textures:

livery = 
{
--RIO/DiffuseRM
{"HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_08", 0 ,"/RIO/DiffuseRM/HB_F14_CPT_RIO_L_BREAKERS_08",false};

--Color
--{"HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_01", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_01",false};
--{"HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_07", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_07",false};
--{"HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_08", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_FRONT_08",false};
--{"HB_F14_CPT_RFRAME", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_RFRAME",false};
--{"HB_F14_CPT_R_UNDERBASE", 0 ,"/Color/HB_F14_CPT_R_UNDERBASE",false};

--Color/Nrm

--Color/RoughMet

--glass
}

Here's the problem:

The integrity check passes the first time I open multiplayer on a new DCS session, but when I exit out of multiplayer the integrity check no longer passes due to a single file: "hb_f14_datapanel" (see attached).

Any thoughts as to what's going on?

1367762114_F14drunkensailorintegritycheckfailure.png.bcf78e6d1be39adac93d5511ed625b11.png

Edited by ekitepirate

Sounds like you are installing in core mods rather than saved games liveries

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Thanks for the reply! The only thing I have in core mods (which I presume is this folder C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F14\Liveries\F14B_Cockpit\default) is a single description.lua file with this in it:

livery = 
{
{"mirrors", 0 ,"mirrors",true};
}

and that's the only file in the entire "F14 > Liveries" folder structure.

The description.lua file I posted the contents of earlier is located in C:\Users\USERNAME\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Liveries\F14B_Cockpit\Brickdust's Drunken Sailor VR Friendly Cockpit - BE [v0.5]

and I can select it in DCS under Options > Special > F-14B > Customized Cockpit.

Ic check doesn’t check against the users livery file... so I would try a repair and see what happens...

no i didnt, tbh i haven't checked in a little while as mirrors are currently off for me unless i need them