Mi8, Gunsight "problem/issue"

paco2002

Hello!

I would like to ask if is there a way to remove the EVU and the Gunsight when in a server. At least i think we should have a keybind to remove the gunsight, because, at least in VR is really unconftable. It's literally in the middle, and sometimes you really don't use it, because you can do other stuff like slinging or go as a gunship, and in that roles you don't use the sight.

If someone knows a way to remove them in game, tell me please!

Thanks!

I know, but i'm speaking about, for example, entering a server we're you got the Mi8 with the EVU and gunsight and you don't wan't them. I was speaking about this situation that is the most common one.

Btw, for example the UH-1H has a gunsight that you can move out of the way when you don't need it, that could be a Good adittion.

Huey gunsight is not a comparable example, as it could be folded in real machine, while the one in Mi-8 could not.

As a rule of thumb, in DCS generally, only weapons can be removed via Rearm menu, equipment components cannot. These are coped with via mission editor instead. I guess you can try to write your request in "Wishlist" section of the forum, but given the fact that even support and bugfixing of Mi-8 in its current state is almost nonexistent, I wouldn't hold my breath for such an bonus idea to be implemented - as I said, it would require some general game code modification on higher level anyway.

It might be possible to make the gunsigh invisible by editing its textures to make them transparent, but such a modification would certainly trigger Integrity Check failure, making online play impossible.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Theoretically, there is an option...

I wanted to test it myself, but I didn't have time for it. You find the texture of the crosshair and then replace it with a transparent mask. it could be useful to change the texture of the reticle ... Theoretically, it can work ... it can also practically make you unable to access most servers because you will get an error with the consistency of files ...

A sure solution would be to use a custom cockpit - if there will be a problem then you just reload the cockpit settings :)

As for EVU, you can 'manually' edit the files responsible for skins - after adding one line there, you 'force' the game to hide or show them (although in the latter case, take into account that not all skins have prepared EVU textures).

Theoretically, there is an option...

I wanted to test it myself, but I didn't have time for it. You find the texture of the crosshair and then replace it with a transparent mask. it could be useful to change the texture of the reticle ... Theoretically, it can work ... it can also practically make you unable to access most servers because you will get an error with the consistency of files ...

A sure solution would be to use a custom cockpit - if there will be a problem then you just reload the cockpit settings :)

As for EVU, you can 'manually' edit the files responsible for skins - after adding one line there, you 'force' the game to hide or show them (although in the latter case, take into account that not all skins have prepared EVU textures).

I don't really now how to do that, but if you need someone to try a mod, i can do it, i don't have any problem on breaking my DCS :lol:

I don't think you will be able to activate mod during mission, so you still will have to restart your game...

It would be much easier to have in mission prepared another Mi-8 without gunsight and hardpoints for tasks where you don't need it.

So why bother to "fix" something what is caused by bad mission design?

Problem is when you're not hosting the server, or/and it's a campaing server, with thousands of units. I can't ask for a mission rebuilding because I wan't to de-actívate the EVU and the Gunsight, that's why i ask for a way to do this.

And also, from my point of view, i think that if i still should have the option to actívate or de-actívate both things in the F8 menú, because if i want guns or something, i only would have to load them, but if i have to use another slot, I would have to start again the Mi8, wich is not fun, slower, and anti-climatic in some dynamics scenarios.

the way I get rid of the sight, so I don't need to constantly lean to the side in VR. is swap to the other pilot seat.

yes not all instruments are available.

but with a button you can switch back and forth quickly, so it does not matter.

also learning to fly from the other seat is good for you.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Personally I do not see any problem here. Disassembling of gunsight and EVUs will take pretty much time IRL. And it is not possible to disassamble it with running engines. That's why It is not considered as rearming option.

in VR the sight fills your view and you need to lean to avoid it. which gives you a sore back.

im sure in real life the pilot just adjusted his seat height to avoid the problem.

but doing that in dcs puts your head in the pilots chest.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

in VR the sight fills your view and you need to lean to avoid it. which gives you a sore back.

im sure in real life the pilot just adjusted his seat height to avoid the problem.

but doing that in dcs puts your head in the pilots chest.

That's the biggest problema that i have with the gunsight, and i don't know why, but i get a Little sick when i fly the Mi8 fron the co-pilot view, i think many hours flying the Mi8 :lol:

Personally I do not see any problem here. Disassembling of gunsight and EVUs will take pretty much time IRL. And it is not possible to disassamble it with running engines. That's why It is not considered as rearming option.

Aswell as rearming a plane would take more than 15 seconds, but you can reload a Su25T full of rockets in 20 seconds, while in real life would take more than that, for the simply reason that bringing the payload from the place were they have it, till the plane would take around 15 mins.

Let's be honest, i love DCS, and it's a really Good simulator, but we cannot try to sim everything, because then, we would have to die each time that we get shot down xD.

I just want to fly without breaking my neck in VR, and enjoy such a nice helo, and i don't think is such a big work to do, it could be introduced as a button, like when you press right shift + P and the pilot appears/dissapears, they could do the same but with the gunsight, I don't really think thats "not posible" IMO

Aswell as rearming a plane would take more than 15 seconds, but you can reload a Su25T full of rockets in 20 seconds, while in real life would take more than that, for the simply reason that bringing the payload from the place were they have it, till the plane would take around 15 mins.

Let's be honest, i love DCS, and it's a really Good simulator, but we cannot try to sim everything, because then, we would have to die each time that we get shot down xD.

I just want to fly without breaking my neck in VR, and enjoy such a nice helo, and i don't think is such a big work to do, it could be introduced as a button, like when you press right shift + P and the pilot appears/dissapears, they could do the same but with the gunsight, I don't really think thats "not posible" IMO

I just think they do good decision what is just rearming and what is changing configuration which need shut down helicopter and maintanance crew.

Morover putting down EVUs with running engines is impossible so it decrease level of simulation to unacceptable level.

There is no way to change the origin of a view in VR a little lower so you will look under the gunsight? Because I think I find something about redefining view point in Mi-8 manual but since I do not need it I do not read it

This would be endless debate about what should be how simulated according to preflight preparations, rearming, changing configuration and so on. And I thing Belismek team got this debate few evenings (maybe even with Vodka) what to be the quick change and what will need to be done in mission editor. I simply agree with their decision.

@smallberries, that's how real pilot fly it too...there is not any reason to make cheats for us VR pilots. If you chose to fly Mi-8 with EVU and gunsight you are stuck with it.

Also it is much easier to look around gunsight in VR than with TrackIR or using hat on joystick.

If you are not happy to fly with Mi-8 as in was engineered you should probably switch to different module.

Next time you will want to cheat to remove compass and gunsight from MiG-15/L-39 because it blocks your view and you don't need it.

If you want to play arcadish...choose servers where you will have Mi-8s with gunsight and without and hot in air and you can switch very fast.

EDIT: anyway I think it still could be doable in DCS (but possible to disable on server side), but it needs to be implemented for all modules. (Very low priority. There are other things I would love to see in Mi-8 much sooner.)

Edited by danvac

in the c 101 you can click on the stick base to make the entire flight stick vanish so you can easily use the buttons behind in 2d..

i dont need that feature in VR..

and im not asking for it to be removed..

developers are making concessions for 2d mode already.

this thread is pointing out where a concession is needed for VR.

the whole needing the gunsight just to have door gunners is an unrealistic limitation of the armament implimentation..

making the sight invisible with a button, would fix this without needing to rewrite the entire armaments implimentation for every module.

in the c 101 you can click on the stick base to make the entire flight stick vanish so you can easily use the buttons behind in 2d..

i dont need that feature in VR..

and im not asking for it to be removed..

developers are making concessions for 2d mode already.

this thread is pointing out where a concession is needed for VR.

the whole needing the gunsight just to have door gunners is an unrealistic limitation of the armament implimentation..

making the sight invisible with a button, would fix this without needing to rewrite the entire armaments implimentation for every module.

+9000

@smallberries, that's how real pilot fly it too...there is not any reason to make cheats for us VR pilots. If you chose to fly Mi-8 with EVU and gunsight you are stuck with it.

Also it is much easier to look around gunsight in VR than with TrackIR or using hat on joystick.

If you are not happy to fly with Mi-8 as in was engineered you should probably switch to different module.

Next time you will want to cheat to remove compass and gunsight from MiG-15/L-39 because it blocks your view and you don't need it.

If you want to play arcadish...choose servers where you will have Mi-8s with gunsight and without and hot in air and you can switch very fast.

EDIT: anyway I think it still could be doable in DCS (but possible to disable on server side), but it needs to be implemented for all modules. (Very low priority. There are other things I would love to see in Mi-8 much sooner.)

If you look at YouTube, you can see videos in Siria with the Mi8 with tropos loaded and without gunsight, aswell as you can see the same Mi8 with rockets and gunsight but without the EVU.

Is not about the module, is about that the module is capable to do so, that's my point.

Module is already capable of all that, you just need to set it before mission.

Try to show us some video, when Mi-8 lands and ground crew runs to it to remove hardpoints, armor or evu because pilots feels that he will not need that in next 30 minutes...

LgjkbKN.png

Edited by danvac

This is not about "show me that this situation happened in real life" I can show you videos that all the 3 situations that you showed me in the photo happened in Real Life, and is a simple thing that is called "Have the ability to fly without hurting your neck when flying the helo in VR". I just want that, and by the way, you don't need a gunsight for carriying turrets in the helicoter, thing that you cannot do if you remove the hardpoints ;)

So you should submit another wishlist item to be able to load door gunners without hardpoints.

If you have problems with your neck you should visit doctor. I fly Mi-8 in VR regularly and I don't have any neck issues...I can't say the same when doing VR dogfighting in other planes. ;-)

Anyway I still support adding to the game possibility to remove hardpoints and EVU during mission. If it will be a little realistic, so you have to shutdown helicopter, let exhausts cooldown and then at least 1 minute for removal of hardpoints and gunsight, another one minute to remove EVU plus don't forget time to remove currently loaded weapons.

Or you can fly on servers where are prepared helicopters to suits your needs like:

BMJmuYd.png