Normady and Vsync

Boosterdog

Ill confess to being pretty negative about DCS WW2 and especially the Normandy map. Having upgraded to a GTX1080 I decided to give it another look following the June Update.

For me at least, I can run it all at pretty high settings in HD but there is one huge oddity. Id be grateful in anyone can explain or provide a solution.

Vsync on in game results in 25 fps blow 300ft - this happens overland and also in the middle of the channel.

If I turn off the in game vsync my frames never drop below 87 fps, even at 100ft over Caen. Oddly though I get no screen tear from the prop or fast head movements. (60Hz monitor). Over the general scenery my FPS is 105-115 in the weeds. Gameplay is quite smooth but its not buttery smooth due to the uneven frame timings - its not far off but a vsync'd profile is still much smoother (over 300ft)

Employing the Nvidia control panel throws up more oddities - Firstly it only works if I use the default Blackshark/dcs.exe in the NCP. This despite me starting the game from a different path using "Run.exe"

If I Alt Enter I get the following results:

Fast sync - no effect

Adaptive - no effect

On - same 25 fps below 300ft as the in game game setting.

Is this just one of the things wrong currently with the map or is there a golden formula or settings?

Thanks

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

NVidia V-Sync runs the map at 60 correctly for me (in-game V-sync off). That's after Alt-Entering of course. I use global adaptive instead of regular, though not for any particular reason. 397.93 drivers here.

That being said, there's still something iffy about the map, as it's the only one which requires Alt-Entering on my config at the beginnig of every single mission. Caucasus and NTTR do not need that, once full-screened, they remain full-screened for good until I exit the game.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Art-J - it also runs 60fps for me (in the standard mode) as long as I'm over 300ft. That not the issue. The issue is that under that it kills the fps despite there being more than enough FPS headroom and neither Adaptive or Fast work at all.

What type are your running? ON (standard) FAST or ADAPTIVE?

Do you get a solid 60fps under 300 ft?

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

The third, "normal" adaptive one (not adaptive with half refresh rate). I didn't go full retard with gfx settings, 'cause I only use a normal 1070 - mostly default "high" preset with shadows and civil traffic trimmed down, plus MSAA off.

Yup, the map runs 60 from the ground up at 1440p resolution and so it should on your better card I reckon. The fps cut you get is puzzling!

Did you try the standard troubleshooting stuff? Removing options.lua, emptying metashaders and fxo folders, or repair & cleanup as a "last resort" solution...

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thanks Art-H - tried all that. The issue remains - no vsync 100-100 fps in the weeds. Any vsync at all 25 fps under approx. 250ft. Happens over land and sea.

It only affects the Normandy map - all other maps are smooth.

Cheers for the advice

BOO

RESOLVED - I'm sat in the dunces corner but I'm still smug as a smug thing.

Graphic drivers - that and that only. Oddly id installed the 397 drivers twice to no effect but the new 398 driver cleared up the issue instantly.

Colour me happy!

EDIT - actually it gets worse - It was the power management setting in the NCP - seems it has to be set to prefer max in the GLOBAL OPTIONS - setting that in the program specific options only had no effect. DUH!!

Edited by Boosterdog

Glad to hear that. Yes, I always have power management set to max performance. It's strange that the setting might affect this only map so much, still, worth remembering for future reference.