VR newb questions

Delta59R

Hello all, First I hope this is the correct area to post, srry if its not. So I went VR with the Samsung Odyssey Plus! I have a few questions that hopefully someone can help me with. Some are DCS based and some are general vr.

1- Flying the A-10 (for example) I feel like I am sitting too high in relation to the hud, I have to duck down to see the gun/seeker sights. But other than the hud the position feels good. Any advice?

2- There is a screen that is already mirroring when you start the headset and then after you start a flight another pops up so there are 2 screen mirrors goin at the same time on the monitor. Normal? Necessary?

3- I have 3 vr apps on my desktop, "steamVR", "windows mixed reality for steam vr" and "mixed reality portal". I don't have any interest in the "mixed reality portal" but can't figure out how to uninstall it. It also auto turns ON when I so much as move the headset... Any advice how to turn that function off? THANKS!

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED

Maybe post in here VR section :)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Hi - regarding the A10 (A or C), I always in VR move down the view a bit when entering cockpit.

My reference is that heading ladder/steerpoint info get adjusted to touch down end of hud (stock view is a bit too high). But when that is done you still can't naturally see top part of hud's projection - wich in my understanding is accurate, you have to get closer to hud to see whole or head down a bit to see upper part like in real aircraft according active/former Hog's pilots.

Regarding screen mirrors I can't tell I use other VR, but don't bother too much with it as these things "eats" practically no perf (in my exp./oculus rift).

JUST BE SURE you don't have 2 active VR mirrors at the same time ! (DCS VR + for exemple steamVR home) Normally you only can have 1 VR mirror (with tracking and picture of what you see in headset).

If you have 2 active VR mirrors (it never happens with Rift : it switches from 1 app to an other) it would be a big issue because rendering of Home VR is an important GPU load.

Hi - regarding the A10 (A or C), I always in VR move down the view a bit when entering cockpit.

My reference is that heading ladder/steerpoint info get adjusted to touch down end of hud (stock view is a bit too high). But when that is done you still can't naturally see top part of hud's projection - wich in my understanding is accurate, you have to get closer to hud to see whole or head down a bit to see upper part like in real aircraft according active/former Hog's pilots.

Regarding screen mirrors I can't tell I use other VR, but don't bother too much with it as these things "eats" practically no perf (in my exp./oculus rift).

JUST BE SURE you don't have 2 active VR mirrors at the same time ! (DCS VR + for exemple steamVR home) Normally you only can have 1 VR mirror (with tracking and picture of what you see in headset).

If you have 2 active VR mirrors (it never happens with Rift : it switches from 1 app to an other) it would be a big issue because rendering of Home VR is an important GPU load.

How do you move down? And how do YOU start DCS VR? I do have 2 mirrors! I start DCS VR from "SteamVR" and both windows stay up during flight. Is there any way to start DCS VR without using "SteamVR"?

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED

How do you move down? And how do YOU start DCS VR? I do have 2 mirrors! I start DCS VR from "SteamVR" and both windows stay up during flight. Is there any way to start DCS VR without using "SteamVR"?

Right shift + Right Ctrl (hold both) + numpad (8 for up, 2 for down, * for forward, - for backward)

I have Rift so a steamVR with WMR user advice is needed.

what I do is just, for first time ever, launching DCS - ticking enable VR in DCS settings. After that launching DCS with classic icon launch DCS VR. (oculus window pops at start and stays in background but no rendering at all, only like an internet page if I can say)

Right shift + Right Ctrl (hold both) + numpad (8 for up, 2 for down, * for forward, - for backward)

I have Rift so a steamVR with WMR user advice is needed.

what I do is just, for first time ever, launching DCS - ticking enable VR in DCS settings. After that launching DCS with classic icon launch DCS VR. (oculus window pops at start and stays in background but no rendering at all, only like an internet page if I can say)

Ahh I see, Rift doesn't use WMR. Yeah even when I launch DCS VR directly from my steam Library WMR automatically launches in addition to the DCS window (displaying the same image) I have learned to minimize the WMR window and to (alt+enter) the DCS window to make it full screen. Thanks for your help! and on the view issue too!

Hopefully someone knows hoe to disable the auto/move on function of WMR.

Use the seat height adjust switch on the left side of the cockpit like a real pilot does.
THANKS!

Also, keep in mind that the older modules such as the A-10C were released before VR was commonly used, and as such the cockpit mesh is not designed for it.

Same counts for the MiG-21 for example, which was released around the time of DCS 1.2: you can clearly see when flying it, that the cockpit model doesn't line up with the external model. This is going to be fixed soon (Magnitude 3 was waiting for the CE II release), and I have faith the upcoming rework of the older modules (A-10C, Ka-50) will keep VR in mind :)

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Also, keep in mind that the older modules such as the A-10C were released before VR was commonly used, and as such the cockpit mesh is not designed for it.

Same counts for the MiG-21 for example, which was released around the time of DCS 1.2: you can clearly see when flying it, that the cockpit model doesn't line up with the external model. This is going to be fixed soon (Magnitude 3 was waiting for the CE II release), and I have faith the upcoming rework of the older modules (A-10C, Ka-50) will keep VR in mind :)

Roger that

Things to know about WMR - you will have to use SteamVR to play DCS in VR using WMR, and you will need the Windows Mixed Reality for Steam app from the steam store (it's free).

After you setup your center position in WMR, you also should probably set up your center position in SteamVR, as well as take note of the application resolution sliders on the video and application tab of the steamVR settings and google and understand what they do. Imo set global slider to 100% and use the application slider to adjust resolution per VR application, crank it up as long as you can maintain no less than 45fps.

You may have to add dcs.exe from your install directory to steam library as a "non-steam game", and then to your VR library for dcs.exe to show up in the SteamVR settings on the application page.

After installing the WMR for SteamVR app, when you launch SteamVR directly it will bypass the cliffhouse loading in. You can also turn off the mirror display in WMR. DCS has it's own monitor display, and lowering the resolution in game for the picture on the monitor may benefit performance overall.

When you get both WMR and SteamVR set up for a seated position and centered, you should be pretty close to centered in any cockpit you get into. But you'll probably have to move around and press numpad 5 to get yourself perfectly aligned, or adjust your head position in non VR mode like described above.

Also in steam/steamapps/common/mixedrealitydriver/resource/settings there's a file there, open it with notepad and delete the two // before the motion reprojection "auto" line so motion reprojection will kick on when you can't maintain 80-90 fps (which is generally all the time in DCS World)

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.