LN next project F6F Hellcat?

swe_badger

Maybe I'm a bit late to the party or something but has anyone else noticed the plane in the background at leatherneck-sim.com? Maybe it's been there all along but I noticed it just now. Next project or just website decoration?

AMD FX-6300

8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LP DDR3 RAM

SAPPHIRE HD 7790 DUAL-X O/C 1GB DDR5

2TB SEAGATE HDD

WIN7 ULTIMATE X64

Not only. I see P-38 too.

Btw. last time it was F-4. Screenshot done by Milviz team of his alpha version.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

There's the F6F and the P-38 on several pages as well as the F-4E (at least that's what I think it is, got the cannon) on the MiG-21 page.

At least the Hellcat and the Phantom II make absolute sense just because of the name Leatherneck which is a term for US Marines.

As of doing the next project, the Phantom II would make a lot more sense, because the Hellcat would lack pretty much everything from its historical environment, the P-38 would at least fit very well into the DCS: WWII scheme where it actually has been missing in the plans ever since even though you just can't do a '44 western front scenario without the good old FTD.

That all put aside I'd definately prefer to get a MiG-23MLD made by these guys. I've yet to see a Flogger sim at all whereas we have had the WWII beaten to death multiple times by now.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

That would be a bizarre choice honestly, on account of being incredibly out of place and not really offering anything new gameplay wise. WWII carrier operations aside, which would need several other assets modelled. We already have a ton of old prop planes here or on the way and none of them are designed for naval aviation, so it's lacking for historical opponents.

got to start somewhere (carrier ops coming with F-18?)...the pacific sounds like an overwhelmingly fun time (map making....islands dont take alot of pc resource)...dont know whos going to fly the zeros(fire) or oscars(fire)???...

...hopefully they start with the hellcat or later (bearcat vs 1941 zero...lol)...let the wildcats come along in due time when ppl cry for it...

...perhaps DCS is the predecessor to 1946 and Pacific Fighters...although the modded 1946 may still have better explosions and bullet hit effects (fingers crossed for EDGE)....

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

That would be a bizarre choice honestly, on account of being incredibly out of place and not really offering anything new gameplay wise. WWII carrier operations aside, which would need several other assets modelled. We already have a ton of old prop planes here or on the way and none of them are designed for naval aviation, so it's lacking for historical opponents.

Tons?

I've told you a million times - don't exaggerate!

So far, there are exactly - and yes, I counted them myself - 2.5 WW2 vintage prop planes, and we have one more on it's way. If you count the number of modern/late 20th century jets, I think you'll find there are tons of them, and also one or two helicopters.

Tons?

I've told you a million times - don't exaggerate!

So far, there are exactly - and yes, I counted them myself - 2.5 WW2 vintage prop planes, and we have one more on it's way. If you count the number of modern/late 20th century jets, I think you'll find there are tons of them, and also one or two helicopters.

Uh, yes, tons. Lots of tons, the P-47 alone is 6 tons. We have 2 props from ED now, with the BF-109, P-47D, and Spitfire Mark IX on the way. ME-262 possibly as well if you want to count non-prop WWII aircraft. And then VEAO has the P-40F, F8F Bearcat, and Spitfire Mark XIV on the horizon. There is no shortage of WWII options down the road, so I'd rather Leatherneck stick with Cold War/Vietnam era aircraft.

Edited by Zakatak

I hope not, to be fair I'm pretty tired of these WWII prop aircraft, they just don't have a place in the combat environment in DCS. Sure they're fun to fly, but whats the point when you don't have anything from that time era etc to match it to?

DCS started off as LOMAC, a JET aircraft sim... it should remain that way. We need more fighters, MiG-23, F-4, MiG-29 etc all at DCS levels so we have aircraft which are good matches against each other in combat.

I hope not, to be fair I'm pretty tired of these WWII prop aircraft, they just don't have a place in the combat environment in DCS. Sure they're fun to fly, but whats the point when you don't have anything from that time era etc to match it to?

DCS started off as LOMAC, a JET aircraft sim... it should remain that way. We need more fighters, MiG-23, F-4, MiG-29 etc all at DCS levels so we have aircraft which are good matches against each other in combat.

Allow me to enlighten you amigo!

From memory, it's already been stated previously by Jim Mack and others that DCS is a Sandbox Sim.

That means that eventually it'll have enough elements to make it fit any period you'd like ... or even no period at all. It will be entirely up to the mission/campaign designer.

What this means is that DCS can be a WWII period sim, a Vietnam sim, Korea sim, Cold War sim .. it's all up to us really.

I'm really happy about this vision, aren't you?

Every module that gets published is a step in the right direction, and guess what; sometimes we gets what we wants and sometimes we don't .. but it's ALL headed in the right direction my friend :thumbup:.

Edited by Teapot

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

Sorry, but I disagree, this makes no sense to me. Should we keep getting the same old stuff over and over? DCS is relatively young still so things aren't quite clicking yet. WW2 aircraft are here to stay which many of us are happy about, and there is enough modern stuff on the way to please everybody else that isn't so interested in 40's tech. A carrier aircraft is just the next step, and once we have one there are plenty of opportunities to add more don the line.Hellcat, Corsair, bearcat (veao), Avenger, Sea Fury, Gale, Zero etc etc.

We can worry about things fitting in down the line as more and more stuff comes out, with so few modules currently, now isn't the time to worry about that so much. A lot of us would like a Vietnam theme for instance, but we can't expect 5 or 6 full of modules and all the maps and ground units etc all at once. The Huey could be, and hopefully is the start of all of that. But it will take time.

I also don't think we should get caught up on expecting certain developers to stick with certain types, yes they may have made a superb fast jet which is great to see, but if they want to put their love and passion into a ww2 aircraft, or even a chopper next then that should be fine. Just buy the stuff that interests you, for everything that doesn't, there will be plenty of other people exited.

Edited by Python

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Sorry man, but....

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1480510&postcount=1

DCS stands for “Digital Combat Simulator”. DCS is a world simulation engine permitting the user to operate or direct a growing number of combat and civilian aircraft, ground vehicles and ships, from different historical eras, in different geographical locations and at different levels of fidelity. It is a true "sand box" simulation.
  • Like 1

This battle of eras is just too popular on ED forums :P.

I'll just say I am not having any problem with engaging some suitable ground or air targets in them, and therefore do not experience said "having no place in DCS" problem at all, and will add that many including myself just love them :).

I will leave it at that, since this seem to have tendency to escalate rather fast in all other threads.

I will add, yes, I also would slightly prefer Leatherneckt to do Cold War era jet combat aircraft, especially the Soviet ones, but I'd love Leatherneck level Warbirds just as fine. We should also consider, if next aircraft they choose will also be one that will take another 3-4 years to complete, economic feasability of that endeavour may not shine so bright.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Don't get me wrong, for those guys who enjoy the WWII era stuff that's great for them and I'm not against the idea of having different eras in the sim but more how it's being developed. Wouldn't it make more sense to have say a decent quantity of modern stuff for that era, THEN move on to something like the 50's with the Korean jets and then WWII? It's great having different tech in the game, but not when it's all jumbled up so much it's hard to get a good match up of air frames in MP.

If Leatherneck does not expand the team, I assume next aircraft could be MiG-29. Novak served as pilot in JNA. Beside MiG-21 the army had MiG-29 also.

Actually, I'm wondering if he had some experience on other planes beside MiG-21. If he is willing to share short flying biography it would be interesting to read.

I believe that LN will announce future development shortly after MiG-21 release.

[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi