Nav INS switch.

directorguy7

I know you select GND or CV depending if you are starting up on carrier or airfield. Once it counts down, similar to A10 do I have to switch it over to NAV? In CV after it counts down I have to pass by GND to get to NAV and I think it retrips and starts over (since it hit GND before NAV). Am I missing something here or what should be the proper way to start up this system?

It doesn't retrip in my experience. I've been using CV only lately since it's a little faster and still gives me time to do everything else. As the others have said you can skip it all together but I'd rather do it so when it is implemented I'll be good to go.

edit - think I'm going to time the difference btw CV and GND. Will post my findings later

How can CV (which is being done on a moving platform) be faster as GND (which is done on a stationary airbase)? :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

CV uses the carriers IMU as a reference, which speeds up the process.

I thought the ships IMU just provides constantly updated position, heading and speed values to the aircafts INS, so it can align properly (while on the ground those values are fixed and don't change during alignment). I don't see how this should speed up alignment, but I guess there's more to it that I'm not aware of :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Here's a brief explanation:

Transfer alignment in a moving host vehicle, using velocity matching withan aligned and operating INS. This method is typically several times faster than gyrocompass alignment, but it requires another INS on the host vehicle and it may require special maneuvering of the host vehicle to attain observability of the alignment variables. It is commonly used for in-air INS alignment for missiles launched from aircraft and for on-deck INS alignment for aircraft launched from carriers.

"GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEMS, INERTIAL NAVIGATION, AND INTEGRATION"

ISBN-10 0-470-04190-0

Copyright © 2007 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.