DCS: F-5E!

Python

He did not specify he was referring to the Air Force, despite the aggressor label. Truly, not many people would differentiate aside from a few of us. Additionally it was in present tense, so from a readers POV, he sounded like he was speaking in current terms.

So back to the original question, why no CAP-9P? Why no AIM-9M? Or more accurately, the AIM-9L?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just joined the DCS family and am starting with the F-5E from Belsimtek and must start off by saying wow. I am a long time FSX: Acceleration user and am a licensed pilot and aircraft owner and so far I am very impressed with DCS and the F-5E.

My 1987 Yakovlev Yak-52 is a tribute to the US Navy's VFC-13 Saints Adversary Squadron - I fly it in formation, aerobatics, formation aerobatics and will be taking up BFM and ACM training this Spring if I can get my knee to recover (ACL surgery last year, slow coming back).

I have several study-level simulators in FSX and so far the F-5E stands up pretty well by comparison. Once I get a full HOTAS set up (I dual-stick in Star Citizen, and use T16000.M in FSX, thinking about adding Thrustmaster TWCS) I think this will be a very immersive and fun setup (TrackIR 5).

Have been watching all the excellent videos on the Youtubes (Ralfidude and Bunyap especially) and have been grabbing all the great community produced training aids as well.

See y'all out there, check six.

'Gimp

IC9A7024.thumb.jpg.696637618acf7b49d0d0b7e79752364d.jpg

17835093_734004153426661_2741754682869435414_o.thumb.jpg.7cd4e9234c761f9185d0e0729d0ddad5.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-4E | F-5E | F-14B | F/A-18C | AV-8B NA | UH-1H | FC3 | Yak-52 | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA-342

i7 8700K | GTX 1070 Ti | 32GB 3000 DDR4

FAA Comm'l/Instrument, FAST Formation Wingman, Yak-52 Owner/Pilot

My 1987 Yakovlev Yak-52 is a tribute to the US Navy's VFC-13 Saints Adversary Squadron - I fly it in formation, aerobatics, formation aerobatics and will be taking up BFM and ACM training this Spring if I can get my knee to recover (ACL surgery last year, slow coming back).

'Gimp

then will you lucky enough to fly the Yak-52 here in DCS ;)

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=580

the yak will be released this year!

Has anyone else noticed the G meter on the aircraft ? Is it me or is it super sensitive, and if it is to be believed you can sustain forced of up to 11-12G for around 3-4 seconds before you even start blacking out.

I don't think I have ever had a flight where the G meter hasn't hit its maximum. Comparing the feel of these turns to the F-15 feeling, they would be more of a 8-9Gs at Max.

The slightest moves in the Tiger make it go up to 4-5 Gs

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Has anyone else noticed the G meter on the aircraft ? Is it me or is it super sensitive, and if it is to be believed you can sustain forced of up to 11-12G for around 3-4 seconds before you even start blacking out.

Black-out occurs when the brain no longer has enough oxygen (NOT BLOOD) to function. The oxygen reserve is 5sec at 8-9g and decreases slowly as the g's increase.

So, you pull 12g, the virtual blood is gone but you're running on the reserve for a couple of seconds.

I don't think I have ever had a flight where the G meter hasn't hit its maximum. Comparing the feel of these turns to the F-15 feeling, they would be more than 8-9Gs at Max.

Sounds like ham-fisted flying.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I don't think I have ever had a flight where the G meter hasn't hit its maximum. Comparing the feel of these turns to the F-15 feeling, they would be more than 8-9Gs at Max.

Keep in mind that jet maneuvering is dominated by the lift vector and to get a real change in direction you need to bank and pull. My experience (over the last couple days) is that regular maneuvering sees about 3-4 G's typically but BFM/ACM maneuvering and bat-turns do require substantial G's.

The F-5 IRL was not I think capable of sustained 7+G maneuvering, just not enough specific excess power even in burner, and I have not, again in my limited use of it, seen any sustained 7G+ loads, but also no descending rolling scissors or anything like that and no PVP yet. That doesn't mean you wouldn't see instantaneous G's over the limit load, just not sustained.

I've noticed that watching PVP engagements on the Youtubes it seems everyone flies their aircraft substantially beyond real world limits with G loads that even seasoned fighter pilots would have difficulty with (I fly solo competition style and formation airshow style aerobatics in my Yak-52 and can say G tolerance is a real thing).

That said, I absolutely LOVE this airplane, Northrop did so much right on the F-5, a real pocket-sized multi-role machine that is a joy to fly.

'Gimp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-4E | F-5E | F-14B | F/A-18C | AV-8B NA | UH-1H | FC3 | Yak-52 | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA-342

Just upgraded to a Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS setup last night (and cleaned up my home office/gaming room), SO much better than dual stick (I use dual stick for Star Citizen but like this so much I will try to come up with bindings using the HOTAS).

Very natural and deeply immersive (combined with TrackIR 5), easy to set up, and not too expensive, especially since I already had a set of Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I love this little jet, can't wait to get home and fly it some more. Thinking I am going all USN/USMC fleet, will add the Hornet and Tomcat when they come available.

'Gimp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

More practice? What do you mean? The F-5 isn't supposed to land on carrier deck at all. :)
Neither is the A-10, but it works if you have enough headwind and fly very reckless. One benefit of a simulation is, there is no Squadron Commander who will relieve you from duty, because you did some things you are not supposed to do. :D

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Neither is the A-10, but it works if you have enough headwind and fly very reckless. One benefit of a simulation is, there is no Squadron Commander who will relieve you from duty, because you did some things you are not supposed to do. :D

Yeah sure, but I'm talking about the structure of the aircraft. It can not support the forces of the impact during the touchdown with a very aggressive FPM, the aircraft was not developed for that, same with the tailhook.

Yeah sure, but I'm talking about the structure of the aircraft. It can not support the forces of the impact during the touchdown with a very aggressive FPM, the aircraft was not developed for that, same with the tailhook.
That's why he needs to practice, to bring it down with a very smooth impact. Luckily weather in a sim can always be nice and sunshine with perfectly stable wind... And you don't risk your life when you mess up. ;)

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

It still sounds like a bad idea to me! :D
IRL most definitely, one try only and likely to fail, but in DCS sounds like fun. ;)

Shagrat

Every Landing you can walk away from, is a good landing! :D

Shagrat

Just want to say as a noob to DCS but long time sim pilot as well as a real world pilot with formation, BFM, TacForm and ACM experience (as a civilian), I truly love this mod, and I have had several really great mods in FSX.

'Gimp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

It would be Nice if we Could get the F-5E upgraded to the Chilean version the F-5E III

id love to try to A2A refuel in this little fighter. Or they could go the Private route as american contractors fly the adversary / aggressor role.

TacAir

F-5s are upgraded with HUD/HOTAS, open architecture mission computers and tailored Operational Flight Programs that enable integration of advanced radar systems, IRST [infrared Search and Track], EA [Electronic Attack], RWR [Radar Warning Receiver], datalinks, and HOBS weapons employment.

The main upgrade that would make these aircraft able to perform 4th generation fighter threat replication would be the inclusion of a modern radar system. TacAir's website associates their aircraft with both the Grifo-200 and APG-66 pulse doppler radars, although it is unclear if these sets have actually replaced the AN/APG-153/159 radars originally installed in most F-5s or if new radar systems like the ones mentioned will be integrated into their F-5 fleet if the company wins a major adversary support contract.

The company's ex-Jordanian F-5E/Fs have been totally refreshed by Northrop Grumman. Other radar options for the F-5 exist as well, such as Israel's modular and highly capable Elta EL/M-2032 radar set.

Rift CV1: i-7 8700 RTX 2070 16GB 3200mhz win10. M.2 128gb GB Z390 Aurous Master. warthog stick on Gunfighter Base

• 5 months later...
Well maybe not :) having to repair every time you land might be a bit annoying :P

I haven't tried landing an F-5 on a carrier. I assume there's no way to take off afterwards? The F-5 needs a good length of runway to take off, and I don't imagine it has support for catapults...

I hate abandoning aircraft, so that would put me off making a habit of it :D

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

If the carrier moves at 30kts and you enter a maximum wind of 47kts you should be easily able to takeoff without a catapult.

Unfortunately the skidding problem hasn't been fixed.

I tried to taxi to the end of the carrier (without any wind) with the F/A-18 and to turn around, but the friction model is so far off that the weathervaning effect doesn't allow the F/A-18 to turn around :(

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi! In the cockpit of F-5 I have noticed marks each side of the windshield, at the corner! I don't think it's supposed to be there, but the marks are still there after many updates..strange?? It's easy to spot.

-royphsle

F-16C:thumbup:

i7-4790 CPU 3.60GHz | 16 GB RAM | MSI GTX-960 Gaming 4GB | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5