[BUG] tcs wont slave to radar properly with human rio

eatthis

it kind of locks but not really, i THINK it locks once but wont track so i have to keep exactly the same attitude or it just wonders off with the nose.

ps it stays tracked on target in the rios display

Edited by IronMike

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

Yeah, this is indeed pretty annoying. It looks like the TCS LOS is being hosted on the RIO player computer and then gets transmitted to the pilot player computer, but because of network lag it's not accurate.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah, this is indeed pretty annoying. It looks like the TCS LOS is being hosted on the RIO player computer and then gets transmitted to the pilot player computer, but because of network lag it's not accurate.

iv doen a bit more testing and it appears that it IS slaved to the radar target but on my vdi when i move the aircraft nose then the tcs wallows around like drunk hippo on ice trying to follow the target, it DOES find it again but any movement and its gone again.

on the rios display its rock solid and doesnt move.

any idea if therees a workaround or if its even on the fix list?

i use the tcs for viz id ALOT so this really bugs me

There were threads about the TCS being jerky. As I tested in SP it is only jerky when you move the nose, like many position updates per second on the video is seen, so it can be that MP exaggerate this effect with much slower updates.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

No, this isn't a multiplayer exaggeration. It is as QuiGon describes it "TCS LOS is being hosted on the RIO player computer and then gets transmitted to the pilot player computer, but because of network lag it's not accurate."

If as the pilot you fly stable aka don't move, eventually the TCS will sync up with that of the RIO. I really wish they would reverse this and make it hosted at the pilot because as a RIO I have to give up the radar screen to VID something whereas the pilot would only have to give up the VDI which much of that information is available on the HUD too.

No, this isn't a multiplayer exaggeration. It is as QuiGon describes it "TCS LOS is being hosted on the RIO player computer and then gets transmitted to the pilot player computer, but because of network lag it's not accurate."

If as the pilot you fly stable aka don't move, eventually the TCS will sync up with that of the RIO. I really wish they would reverse this and make it hosted at the pilot because as a RIO I have to give up the radar screen to VID something whereas the pilot would only have to give up the VDI which much of that information is available on the HUD too.

THIS! i love the camera for vis id and to see exactly what the other guy is doing in a dogfight but its almost unusable multicrew atm and that makes me a sad panda!

Please don't! As a RIO I do quite often watch the TCS in air to air engagements to get a close eye on what the bandit does, while my pilot focues on the engagement.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Please don't! As a RIO I do quite often watch the TCS in air to air engagements to get a close eye on what the bandit does, while my pilot focues on the engagement.

nooooo, stick monkey needs the info more than rio does in wvr

It's the same with radar with a human RIO. Latency and network come into play and the pilot will see a very stuttery radar pipper when in PAL mode, for example.

This might be also pilot connection related though (or RIO connection), not once I got a stuttery PAL diamond. And else never heard anyone else report this.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

This might be also pilot connection related though (or RIO connection), not once I got a stuttery PAL diamond. And else never heard anyone else report this.

Yes, I experience this all the time depending on our pings to the server. The code syncing the radar antenna and TCS line of sight seems to be very susceptible to ping, which means it hard for a RIO and pilot to play together if one has a ping of like 200 due to radar and TCS stuttering, in my experience. For example, with a pilot playing from the US with a RIO from Europe.

Hopefully there is some way to alleviate it.

THIS! i love the camera for vis id and to see exactly what the other guy is doing in a dogfight but its almost unusable multicrew atm and that makes me a sad panda!

If you depend on TCS in a dogfight you're doing it wrong ;)

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

nooooo, stick monkey needs the info more than rio does in wvr

No, the stick monkey has to keep his eyes out of the window when WVR, not heads down on his displays!

Tornado3 small.jpg

no but there are times when the bad guy is at long vis and low when the tcs gives invaluable info on what hes doing and where hes going

no but there are times when the bad guy is at long vis and low when the tcs gives invaluable info on what hes doing and where hes going

And that info is better suited with the RIO, while the pilot keeps his head at the HUD to chase the TCS designation on the HUD.

Tornado3 small.jpg

No, the stick monkey has to keep his eyes out of the window when WVR, not heads down on his displays!

there are times when the tcs is great wvr

And that info is better suited with the RIO, while the pilot keeps his head at the HUD to chase the TCS designation on the HUD.

the hud doesnt tell you their aspect changes or if theyre in reheat or airbrakes out etc, it can be VERY usefull to get eyes on them at range

Will take a look at this :)

Thanks!

I fear this will most likely be a netcode issue and not solveable on our side, but we will take a look. Already tracked it.

Hopefully a decent solution can be found.

Perhaps this is a joke, and not to be taken seriously, otherwise my techniques are not yours, and yours not mine. This statement diminishes the significance this change could bring.

I disagree, the pilot has navigation cues via the TCS (VDI) the same as the HUD except he can actually see what the bogey is doing, such as, but not limited to, whether it has fired a smokeless missile, turned hot, gone into the notch, etc.

IMO the RIO has other important things they should be doing such as attempting to IFF the target in which the RIO would need to ensure the STT lock hasn't dropped in order to do so. If the TCS camera is up, the RIO may be wasting invaluable time waiting for an IFF response on the DDD without ever knowing (until they flip back to the radar) they aren't going to get one because the STT lock dropped.

Perhaps this is a joke, and not to be taken seriously, otherwise my techniques are not yours, and yours not mine. This statement diminishes the significance this change could bring.

While I find it funny it's not a joke at all. In a dogfight I keep my eyeballs on the bandit out of the canopy trying to kill him or deny his nose on me. What you and eatthis talk about are not really dogfighting situations. So I really agree with these TCS uses.

the hud doesnt tell you their aspect changes or if theyre in reheat or airbrakes out etc, it can be VERY usefull to get eyes on them at range

Exactly, but that's what the RIO can focus on and tell the pilot, while the pilot keeps the enemy padlocked.

IMO the RIO has other important things they should be doing such as attempting to IFF the target in which the RIO would need to ensure the STT lock hasn't dropped in order to do so. If the TCS camera is up, the RIO may be wasting invaluable time waiting for an IFF response on the DDD without ever knowing (until they flip back to the radar) they aren't going to get one because the STT lock dropped.

I'm talking about WVR. There is no need for radar IFF if you're already WVR. The RIO doesn't need the TID to check if the radar is still locked, as he can check that on his DDD. WVR its usually the pilot who is in control of the radar anyways, so the RIO can keep an eye on the enemy on the TCS.

While I find it funny it's not a joke at all. In a dogfight I keep my eyeballs on the bandit out of the canopy trying to kill him or deny his nose on me. What you and eatthis talk about are not really dogfighting situations. So I really agree with these TCS uses.

Exactly! I was talking about WVR situations and WVR situations only and there the pilot should keep his eyes out of the cockpit! :thumbup:

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg