awg 9 ground mapping/targetting

eatthis

You can crank the elevation down in pulse search and get what is effectively real beam mapping like what you see in the Viggen, or what just got added to the F/A-18. You can even use this to update your navigation fix.

The system doesn't have any functionality for surface targeting though, it simply wasn't a design consideration for the radar's purpose or the fighter's role. The only dedicated air to ground mode is Air to Ground Ranging, which provides slant range for computing weapons delivery.

so i cant use it to designate a point for computer target bombing?

if im over water will it pick ships out or will it just be a blanket of noise from the sea?

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

No.

That's wrong. You can designate a target point with the radar. You just need to perform a radar fix on the ST waypoint, as this waypoint behaves different than all the other waypoints. If you perform a fix on the ST waypoint your nav system won't get fixed, as it is the case when performing a fix on other waypoints. Instead the ST waypoint gets updated to the fix location.

In short: Fix on ST waypoint causes the ST waypoint to get new coordinates. Fix on any other waypoint causes the OWN AC to get new coordinates.

So for example, if you detect a ship on your radar somwhere on the ocean, you perform a radar fix on its position while having the ST waypoint selected and the St waypoint moves to this position. You can then even obtain the targets coordinates by reading the ST waypoint coordinates.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

That's wrong. You can designate a target point with the radar. You just need to perform a radar fix on the ST waypoint, as this waypoint behaves different than all the other waypoints. If you perform a fix on the ST waypoint your nav system won't get fixed, as it is the case when performing a fix on other waypoints. Instead the ST waypoint gets updated to the fix location.

In short: Fix on ST waypoint causes the ST waypoint to get new coordinates. Fix on any other waypoint causes the OWN AC to get new coordinates.

So for example, if you detect a ship on your radar somwhere on the ocean, you perform a radar fix on its position while having the ST waypoint selected and the St waypoint moves to this position. You can then even obtain the targets coordinates by reading the ST waypoint coordinates.

what does st mean?

and how do i drop a bomb (or 18 ) on a waypoint?

what does st mean?

ST means Surface Target and is one of the Tomcat's waypoint types.

and how do i drop a bomb (or 18 ) on a waypoint?

Not on a waypoint but on a waypoint offset:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

ST means Surface Target and is one of the Tomcat's waypoint types.

Not on a waypoint but on a waypoint offset:

yeah i saw that

Yeah but while you CAN do that the AWG-9 was neither deisgned to do that nor was it ever used in that manner (terrain avoidence or any form of targeting).

Not true either. It was used together with the phoenix even to lock up and fire on ships. Yes, you heard that right. Brian "Billy" Kocher speaks about this, who was one of the main test pilots for the F14, responsible for lantirn integration, integration of DFCS and other air to ground capabilities, etc etc.

If you notice, pulse search will also lock up ships in game. However DCS air to air missiles are not designed to track ground targets, which is why the phoenix will not guide on it. Also, irl, when they planned on using it, they managed to ran the boats in question ashore and used the gun instead, but they were prepared to fire it, if it would have been necessary.

Furthermore the radar is used for navigation updates and ofc the AWG-9 and WCS play a major role also in the A2G targetting. But no, it was not used for terrain avoidance like say the radar in the tornado etc.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Yeah but while you CAN do that the AWG-9 was neither deisgned to do that nor was it ever used in that manner (terrain avoidence or any form of targeting).

Quite wrong too. In addition to what IronMike has already said, this feature of the Tomcat was a powerful recon asset to the carrier battle group as the Tomcat could scan th ocean for hundreds of miles ahead, designate detected ships, obtain their coordinates and send them to the fleet.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Quite wrong too. In addition to what IronMike has already said, this feature of the Tomcat was a powerful recon asset to the carrier battle group as the Tomcat could scan th ocean for hundreds of miles ahead, designate detected ships, obtain their coordinates and send them to the fleet.

Yep, forgot that, too. It is incredible how far Grumman thought ahead, all that came later was basically envisioned already from the start.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

i have noticed i can lock ships up, so how do i chuck phoenix at them? lol

If the ship is moving it doesn't work very well (Phoenix appears to fail to track the ship, though I have not tried this in Fox1 mode). Also it doesn't do too much damage to the ship.

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

I've managed to attack ships with the AIM-7.

As for designating targets, you can use the RADAR to designate a waypoint (RDR Fix -> DDD Cursor -> put cursor over desired point -> Fix Enable), if you don't have LANTIRN you can use it as an offset as QuiGon said, but if you are LANTIRN equip, you can designate a waypoint with the RADAR, cue the LANTIRN pod to said waypoint and then designate using LANTIRN.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

DCS missiles are in a state of change, but a missile doesn't care what it's shot at. It doesn't "know" what it's being shot at, it only knows if it can "see" it one way or another. There are many factors to consider, but a missile itself doesn't care if the target is a low flying aircraft, helicopter, or ship.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

Presumably you can do offset bombing with an offset of 0,0,0... That's effectively bombing the waypoint. I haven't tried this.

That doesn't make much sense, as you would have to perform a fix on the IP first. If you want to designate the target directly, you can just use Computer Bomb mode instead of IP Bomb mode. The purpose of the IP bomb mode and its offset is that you can designate a different position away from the target, which you can safely overfly to perform a fix on it in order to get precise indications to throw the bombs on the actual target (the offset).

Tornado3 small.jpg